Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cave Adaptation  (Read 3509 times)

ekump

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cave Adaptation
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:05:53 am »

Herro all,
     I don't have a lot of experience with DF yet, so I generated a disgustingly peacefull world in which to learn. After several miserable attempts and hours spent reading the wiki, I had a fort survive long enough to notice the dorfs would stagger about and leave trails of vomit every time they went outside to get some more wood. There's already thousands of units inside Urist, why are you going outside for more? So I read up on Cave Adaptation on the wiki. According to that, any sunlit tile (any tile that has ever been exposed to sunlight) will trigger a cave adapted response (dizziness and nausea) and reduce the amount of cave adaption by a tiny amount. I don't want the military too busy staggering and hurking to fight, so I built a new barracks above ground, roofed it over, set them to sparring in their new digs, and forgot about it. A couple years later the first real threat shows up in the form of a dragon. Concerned he would burn down my wooden fort if I just slammed the gate, I sent the militarey out to deal with him. As soon as they walked outside, they set to spewing and staggering like college freshmen. Uh, what? They've been above ground for years except for the times they go to eat or sleep, how are they cave adapted?
     In case you were worried, one of the little bile fountains lopped the dragon's head off with a single strike and I spent the next six months of game time listening to Urist whine about not being let outside to bring in the flaming wood as my bone carver made *Dragon Bone* jewelry.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Adaptation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:14:07 am »

Based on what we've seen, cave adaption has changed to be based heaviliy on the inside/outside attribute (wiki may not have been updated with this finding).  In order to prevent cave adaptation, they need regular exposure to outside tiles.  Staging their training up on a securable roof is pretty much what you have to do. Or make them break from training to patroll an exposed area every month or so would also work.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »

Bah, the trails of vomit are festive, how else are the neighbors supposed to know they should watch for random dwarf-related catastrophes if we aren't marking our territory with something good and visible?

Blood could work, but lots of things leave bloody messes scattered all over the place (and on a couple of heart-stopping occasions I learned that various trees drop fruit which looks almost exactly like one of my woodcutters was in fact 99% squib and got set off accidentally... after a bit of scouring the combat reports and sifting through the others/dead/missing lists trying to figure out where all this blood came from I thought to check the name attached to it... oh, it's fruit... great) but you see a charred section of forest leading towards a hole in the side of a mountain painted a nice vomit-green, you know you're in dorf country now.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »

There's actually 3 different environments as regards cave adaptation.

1. Indoors subterranean - Cave adaptation increases. Dwarves become more sensitive to light and the outdoors.
2. Indoors, above ground - Neutral. Cave adaptation neither increases or decreases.
3. Outdoors, above ground - Cave adaptation decreases. If the dwarf is cave adapted, he or she will feel nauseated.  Severe cases will cause vomiting.

With what you did, you had your militia exercising in a type 2 environment.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »

Dwarves also get dizzy when in zone type #3.  Which makes them move very slowly (and slightly erratically?).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »

Based on what we've seen, cave adaption has changed to be based heaviliy on the inside/outside attribute (wiki may not have been updated with this finding).
Actually, I personally checked the code, and it's behaving exactly the same as it did back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier. I'm also the one who posted that information on the wiki in the first place - prior to that, it was mostly speculation.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »

Based on what we've seen, cave adaption has changed to be based heaviliy on the inside/outside attribute (wiki may not have been updated with this finding).
Actually, I personally checked the code, and it's behaving exactly the same as it did back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier. I'm also the one who posted that information on the wiki in the first place - prior to that, it was mostly speculation.

You are correct.  I was rememering the wiki as it was back in 31.25.  My apologies.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »

In addition:
-Windows are useless in regard to cave adaptation.
-So are glass roofs (unless something changed?)
-But bridges, grates, and supposedly floodgates and hatches makes the tile below count as "inside".
Did not test if opening the bridge/grate/floodgate/hatches changed it to "inside", but that means that you have no way to protect soldiers training inside from aerial threat directly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:44:29 pm »

-Windows are useless in regard to cave adaptation.
-So are glass roofs (unless something changed?)
I doesn't agree, windows and glass roofs are doing much. I have green-clear glass roof on top of my statue garden and baracks, and nobody have cave adaptation. (With exception: My founders, who never see light.)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »

Cave adaptation wasn't much more than an annoyance. Just put the dining hall upstairs in a constructed room.

Solves all the problems.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »

At first I wondered why floors were all rendered green when caravans arrived.
Perhaps I should dig some ramps or build a roof and put the trade depot inside.
There's no need to go upstair since my current map is a desert.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 07:44:49 pm »

The momentary pauses and dizzyness that going outside causes can pose problems when there is a seige going on.

Makes dwarves less able to hit targets with crossbows, makes them stunned for a moment when the come upstairs, so they are easier to get shot-- things like that.

Keeping dwarves from cave adapting is a useful trick. Putting a meeting zone or dining hall upstairs fixes it.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 07:50:00 pm »

Yeah that, siege.
Guess I can move my dining(puking) room above the roof next time.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »

I've got a zoo aboveground, so all the bastards that decide to go to parties get to vomit for it.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:40 pm »

Yeah that, siege.
Guess I can move my dining(puking) room above the roof next time.
I believe the technical term is vomitorium.
Pages: [1] 2