Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rise of Civilization (7/11)  (Read 5581 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilization (3/11) (Requesting a Mongolian Horde Civilization)
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 06:23:27 am »

PTW. Also, would I be correct in assuming 2 is hills or something, and how much of my civilisation's population could I have as my primary race?

Yes.

Primary race just has to be over 50%.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:55 am »

Going to respond to a PM I got in-thread, as it contains many questions that people may be confused about.

1. Tech stat breakdown.  I've noticed that tech seems to be very heavily weighted to the point it's almost mandatory, since it goes from what you term pre-stone (so, that vague area of history before even the Paleolithic Era 2.6mya, much less the youngling homo sapiens that barely break 0.5mya) at 0 points to iron age at 4 points, or around 2.6 million years of timespan because on that scale, the difference between the Iron Age and today is small change.  If 0 is beyond known prehistory and 4 is the early Iron Age, what do 1-3 correspond to, roughly?  Also, what kind of practical game effect do they have?  In the Near East, iron supplanted bronze not because of its hardness (wrought iron - the easiest to make and essentially the only available type in the early Iron Age outside of accidental and/or uncontrolled contamination of the sort that resulted in Damascus steel - is not much harder than bronze, and it's much more difficult to work because it requires the development of bloomeries or the good luck to have a lump of meteoric iron drop on you), but rather because it's easier to find and less reliant on far-flung trade routes.  Bronze, while harder, became much more scarce after the Sea People's invasion effectively devastated the trade of the east Mediterranean, specifically the tin trade from what would become Cornwall, Brittany, and Galicia.  Also, by the early Iron Age, do those who have 4 in Tech have a starting understanding of steel production, or have they not gotten that far yet?

1 represents that the civilization is at the start of the Stone Age.
2 represents that the civilization is nearing the end of the Stone Age, and is able to smelt copper.
3 represents that the civilization is at the start of the Bronze Age.
4 represents that the civilization is at the start of the Iron Age.

Choosing a later age reduces the level of copper you have within your starting situation, to having enough to only outfit a couple units by the Iron Age.

2. Bronze.  While there's plenty of iron and copper, I couldn't help but notice a stark and suspicious lack of tin or arsenic on the entire region map, though you do mention that we can outfit our troops with bronze weapons and armor.  Is tin essentially abstracted out, or since the person you mentioned this to is on the edge of the map, must tin be imported from outside of the region?  I ask mostly because tin and copper almost never occur in the same place, so it essentially mandated long trade routes, while arsenic had its own issues pertaining to not only health, but in measurement of the amounts to be added (meaning less control over the final result). 

Tin is abstracted out.

3. Out-of-region status.  More generally than the above, what is it like outside of this region?  Will we essentially be in an enclosed bubble, or will we be able to trade with different regions and worry about hosting some Sea People of our own?

The Out-of-region area hosts a variety of races, but no civilizations have formed.  It is going to be the source of random events primarily.

4. If you don't get enough players for 11 slots, will the remaining slots be filled by NPCs or empty for expansion?

The slots are going to be empty so players may join at any time.  Expansion to those points isn't too feasible, due to the scale of the map.  Rivers have been oversized so they are noticeable.  Actual distance is on the scale of 9 to 7 equals a little over two hundred miles.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 12:52:23 pm »

PTW. Also, would I be correct in assuming 2 is hills or something, and how much of my civilisation's population could I have as my primary race?

Yes.

Primary race just has to be over 50%.
As I say my race is a slave-holding race so the primary (ruling, that is) race has to be below 50%.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

Thank you for answering the questions so thoroughly.  Unfortunately, and I apologize, but I think that ultimately, I'll sit aside for the time being and simply watch for the start.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »

How long would it take to advance an age, so to speak?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »

Unfortunately, as I think about it, I think I will drop out as well. My apologies.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:40 pm »

(Friggin thread was buried in my updated topics page.)

Thank you for answering the questions so thoroughly.  Unfortunately, and I apologize, but I think that ultimately, I'll sit aside for the time being and simply watch for the start.
Unfortunately, as I think about it, I think I will drop out as well. My apologies.

Ah well.  Hope you enjoy what others do in the thread, if you result in continuing to watch it.

How long would it take to advance an age, so to speak?

Tech is randomly discovered within the turns, so I can't give you a clear number.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilization (4/11)
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 12:20:58 pm »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »

Civilization Name: The Azutan Tribes
Primary Race: 80% Elves
Other Races: 10 % humans, 5% Orcs 5% Other (Mostly Goblins and Dwarfs)
Architectural Style: Simple huts made my tree and skin, as the Azutan tribes strives on Foraging, hunting and raiding. Some tribes has begun to settle down, but most tribes still embrace the nomadic lifestyle.
Civilization's Language: Zut. (Swahili)

Governmental Structure: During the Vita Kidogo (Little war) The Azutan Tribes is very disorganised. Every Tribe (usually a few families) govern them self and only refer to the High Chief when there is a dispute within the tribe.  However, raiding within the Azutan Tribe is frowned upon. The tribes often commit individual tribes against outsiders, and trade within and outside of the tribes is not uncommon.

All this changes when the High Chief declares a Kubwa vita (Big war), then all of a sudden all tribes unite under a single banner. Every year every ablebodied being (No matter gender or Race) has to spend a month training with the rest of the tribes. Making the the Azutan warriors not only skill-full individuals but a well oiled machine in terms of warfare. This often happen before a major raid or expansion of territory, or in defence. Whenever the Azutan tribe conquers an enemy village, all survivors over the age of 7 are put to a test, Vita ya miungu, (Battle of the gods), the survivors are welcomed to the tribe, although defections are common.   

Law Structure: The High Chief settles all major disputes, while the tribe Chiefs settle smaller conflicts. Individual conflicts are often settles by a duel, until recently these duels was to the death, but nowadays the battles usually end with first blood. The exception of these is during a duel of leadership. They are always to the death. Duels are forbidden during a Kubwa vita.

Religious Tolerance: Other religions are accepted, but ridiculed, especially those worshipping dietes.

Primary Religion: Gods are the enemies. One day the golden army will ride down from the night-sky, led by the Mwezi na Jua (Moon and Sun), and then all beings of these earth must stand united to meet them. Vita Kidogo is essential for these purpose, making sure that the elves are ready to meet their ancient enemy. And kubwa vita train them in the art of warfare aswell as expanding the Azutan tribe so that more soldiers are may face the gods. Cooperation is therefore essential between the tribes, although duels are encouraged crimes are strictly forbidden and all crimes is punishable by death.

Stats:
Technological Level:
Military Size: ++
Military Skill: ++++

(Pre-Stone-age warrior elves who will terrorise the locals, awyeah!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:27:46 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:26:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilization (7/11)
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 07:02:18 am »

(So, when will the game start?)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »

(So, when will the game start?)

We have over half of the slots filled, so either when it fills up, or has been three days since the last sign-up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:05 pm »

The third day has passed. What will be done?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »

The third day has passed. What will be done?

(I post the turn, carrying some basic events.  You can add more, but for every good, there needs to be one bad.  The results of your nation's responses to these events will be rolled for, to see how effective they were.  You may also include actions that are not in response to events, which will also be rolled for.)

Year 0 Situations

Veralik
A previously unknown vein of copper has been discovered nearby.
The river experiences a greater level of water arriving than before.  The waters are likely going to be rising to high flood levels this year.

GLORIOUS NETWORK OF HARBAHKSTAN
A few horses have been found to have crossed the river.  You may be able to capture them before another does.
The river experiences a greater level of water arriving than before.  The waters are likely going to be rising to high flood levels this year.

Waantau
A higher than average rainfall is going to provide you with more food than average.  Stores might not necessarily be enough.
Artifact locations that had previously proved to be reliable are turning up in lower quantities than normal.

Chryssalan
A higher than average rainfall is going to provide you with more food than average.  Stores might not necessarily be enough.
Many newborns are dying at a very young age.  Population growth will be at a lower rate this year than normal.

Harrukhria
Population growth is growing at a higher than normal pace.  Food supplies will be lower than normal, however.
Strain has begun to develop between a few groups within the nation.  A civil war may possibly be upon the horizon.

The Azutan Tribes
A few horses have been found to have crossed the river.  You may be able to capture them before another does.
Raids are granting reduced returns than previous years.  Income of supplies may suffer.

Omiljen Carstvo
There is talk of rebellion in some of the further out territories over supposed exploitation.  The direction it takes is currently uncertain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4