Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Annotating Nameless_Archon's Tutorial Night [Advanced Beginners]  (Read 7361 times)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've personally found Nirruden/Nameless_Archon's Tutorial Night's the best "advanced beginner" resource I've come across.

If there's a challenge, it's the length. I haven't actually gotten through all the parts due to the density. I though it might be useful to have an an annotated guide to the playlist. There's been times in the past where I've thought, "Did Matt move his smelters/forges underground yet? When, and how?" Many eyes can answer questions like that, so I figured I'd donate what I've done to the group knowledge pool. I'm going to put my notes here in the first post and as others chime in, I'll maintain here in the first post.

Spoiler: PART 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PART 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PART 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PART 6 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:07:55 am by jwhite.df »

scriberman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Annotating Nameless_Archon's Tutorial Night [Advanced Beginners]
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:15 am »

I've personally found Nirruden/Nameless_Archon's Tutorial Night's the best "advanced beginner" resource I've come across.

If there's a challenge, it's the length. I haven't actually gotten through all the parts due to the density. I though it might be useful to have an an annotated guide to the playlist. There's been times in the past where I've thought, "Did Matt move his smelters/forges underground yet? When, and how?" Many eyes can answer questions like that, so I figured I'd donate what I've done to the group knowledge pool. I'm going to put my notes here in the first post and as others chime in, I'll maintain here in the first post.

I thought it was a worthy project, so I dug into it.  I came back to see if anyone were discussing the project, yet.
Wow, you've added LOTS more since I saw the first post!

I did the footwork here already, so I'm going to post it, in case someone finds it useful.
Feel free to edit this text in any way to fit into your vision.  If there is enough interest, I might continue.

relevant links
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144721.0
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLiFqDG3lSdP0miztSqdkbD-S78M1Pd6h
http://www.twitch.tv/nirruden/profile
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2jit4r/nirruden_teaches_dwarf_fortress_for_extra_life/
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144944
Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 with Starter Pack r2

Disclaimer:  For the sake of visual flow and the sanity of my inner OCD Grammar Nazi, the transcription has significantly less accuracy regarding punctuation than I am comfortable with.  Liberty has been taken to exclude from the text, most "word whiskers" and unintentional false starts.  Any expletives (including euphemisms) have been replaced with, "***" (three asterisks); incomprehensible parts replaced with, "..??" (period period question question).  Any issues found will be HAPPILY edited away!

Edit 01 2014-10-16:  Put each video into a separate, titled spoiler.
Edit 02 2014-10-21:  Add preliminary transcription for part of video 07.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:14:07 am by scriberman »
00110000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 :)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:10 am »

I thought it was a worthy project, so I dug into it.  I came back to see if anyone were discussing the project, yet.

I did the footwork here already, so I'm going to post it, in case someone finds it useful.
Feel free to edit this text in any way to fit into your vision.  If there is enough interest, I might continue.

That's awesome and amazing. I'll adopt your format too. Much better.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:10:45 am »

Redid the top post to incorporate scriberman's format and "part 1" notes
Integrated scriberman's part 2 notes with mine

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 04:38:33 am »

Part 2
01:28:28   Why Circles? Answer: Geometry

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »

Holy hell, guys.

Thanks for taking the time and effort. It's a slog to broadcast this much information (did I *really* talk for three hours before I unpaused? Apparently so!) and then have to go back to annotate and index it.

Before you get too far into this, though - you know I'm going to do another one in the future, right? There's a few things (even from this tutorial) I do differently, and the game's not "stable" (still more features to come) for v40 yet...

Edit: On the other hand, this will make a pretty good outline for the newer version, when I do one...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:19:48 pm by Nameless Archon »

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:24:50 pm »

Thanks for taking the time and effort. It's a slog to broadcast this much information (did I *really* talk for three hours before I unpaused? Apparently so!) and then have to go back to annotate and index it.

I just really appreciate the tutorial. Opened my eyes to a lot of things I was doing inefficiently. If this drives more viewers and utility, then that's all for the better, right? And on a selfish note, I'm hoping other people contribute time codes for things I'm missing. I skipped military, for example as my current embark has invasions turned off.

[Note to self, check that time period to see if that's where smelters and forges went underground]

Before you get too far into this, though - you know I'm going to do another one in the future, right? There's a few things (even from this tutorial) I do differently, and the game's not "stable" (still more features to come) for v40 yet...

Fully realize this. You mention in-line that you'll probably not do the giant castle. I think it's one of the reasons why I didn't write that part up. But some of this stuff is evergreen. If I'd had this resource the first time, I might have happily skipped to the un-pause and gone along from there, then come back to the world gen later. Same for embark points maximization.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:28:49 pm »

Edit: On the other hand, this will make a pretty good outline for the newer version, when I do one...

Ha! If it helps that, even better.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:34:23 pm »

Well, you don't need my blessing to attempt this undertaking, but you certainly have it.

If there's anything I've done that could use greater explanation, call it out for me - I don't mind reviewing a section of play to figure out why I was doing it "that way" versus "this way" for the benefit of your readers. If nothing else, that may spur more experienced players to suggest an even better method.

Edit: At 01:07:04, the fourth farm plot (south) should be "Sweet Pods/Cave Wheat/Pig Tails/Helmets" in this case - that gives us two fields of cloth and two of dyes, with all four crops represented. Not sure if I did it in the video, just noting for completeness, as I recognize this build pattern.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:40:46 pm by Nameless Archon »

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:48:28 pm »

Corrected the link to Part 5 (previously had the Part 6 link)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 08:56:14 pm »

Part 6

00:01:00   Smoothing as path to Engraving skill

00:03:00   Depth of water vs. mud in a well
                Set zone-only drinking

00:04:30   Well materials

00:05:30   Increase skill of metalsmiths
                Smiths are at z-11; When did that happen?!

00:08:20   Start making lye for soap industry

00:09:30   cloth industry
                when did cloth get dyed?
                Feet, legs, and chest are what's mandatory

Make cloth:
                shoe, cap, glove, trousers, robe
                on repeat

00:13:30   Ash at the furnace

00:14:20   Tallow from the butcher?
                Nope. Get the fat rendering going.

00:21:00   z-9
                Add jewelers workshops by crafting workshops (to encrust mugs with jewels?)
                2 to cut gems
                2 to encrust things with cut gems

00:23:00   Paved road from entrance to keep trees from overgrowing

scriberman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:50 pm »

I wonder if anyone has an interest in providing key screenshots?

I created a small script for Linux, which converts the timestamps in my notes into a URL.  In case that has value, I post it here.
Spoiler: index.txt.sh (click to show/hide)

That's awesome and amazing. I'll adopt your format too. Much better.
That makes my time seem well spent, thanks! :)

Part 2
01:28:28   Why Circles? Answer: Geometry
Yup, I LOL'd at that part, too.  A true minmaxer would be using a lumpy circle, recognizing that the distance to be calculated isn't from the center staircase, but from each of the four edges and four corners.

I see you have already posted through video 6, and are likely now working on video 7, so I won't add more to this annotation list, but will look forward to possibly working on the future version, especially if it follows some sort of outline!

Suggestion:  Use Spoilers (I've edited my first post), so as not to scare off potential readers.

Holy hell, guys.

You have a great voice, a great presence, and a great presentation.  You also, clearly, have a lot of knowledge and experience.
This is a great combination!

I specifically remember my thoughts leading up to the Unpause mark:  This is a realistic time frame for me, even when not explaining. :>

I remembered that you clearly stated you planned to make another one later, but I felt this material you have presented stands on its own for now.  Besides, with the upcoming thoughts update, who knows how long until dfhack and Dwarf Therapist catch up?  Some people will stick with an earlier version until those have caught up.  Your video retains direct value to those players, while covering enough ground to have value into future versions for other players.

I did have the thought occur to me that your future version might benefit from this annotation, if you were to somehow learn of it.  Wow, you got here quickly!

Minor thoughts/ideas/suggestions/requests for future videos:
1. State the versions/URLs of the game/utilities you are using at the start of your video(s) and/or in your video text description.
2. Provide the world/region save at various stages for players to play along with the video.
3. If you decide to focus more on the tutorial aspect, consider splitting your videos into categorized groupings, i.e., "This video will delve into different farming techniques," or "This video will demonstrate different methods of military organization."

Edit 01, 2014-10-21:  Update code to VERSION=000.003.000.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:47:43 am by scriberman »
00110000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 :)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:47 am »

I wonder if anyone has an interest in providing key screenshots?

That was the next logical step in my mind. I'm thinking of the well in particular.

I see you have already posted through video 6, and are likely now working on video 7, so I won't add more to this annotation list, but will look forward to possibly working on the future version, especially if it follows some sort of outline!

Well...

What I'm seeing isn't the same thing that someone else would see. For example, I completely skipped the military buildup. I still don't know when the smelter and furnace went underground. The volume of notes I took for part 4 is definitely low.

If someone with fresh eyes could watch it and pick out things I'm missing, that would be awesome. And the rate at which I'm able to annotate is pretty slow.

Suggestion:  Use Spoilers (I've edited my first post), so as not to scare off potential readers.

Excellent suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:05:02 am by jwhite.df »

scriberman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:01 am »

Well...

What I'm seeing isn't the same thing that someone else would see. For example, I completely skipped the military buildup. I still don't know when the smelter and furnace went underground. The volume of notes I took for part 4 is definitely low.

If someone with fresh eyes could watch it and pick out things I'm missing, that would be awesome. And the rate at which I'm able to annotate is pretty slow.

OK, I will look into it again, but it may be 2 or 3 days until I can focus on it.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:59 am »

...and now the bad news.

My wife has outfoxed me, and convinced me that starting a new tutorial video, to coincide with the launch of Extra Life 2014 would be a great thing. Not only could I do my tutorial on stream and get a more updated version, but I could collect for a charity at the same time, and help new players learn to play live like always: win-win-win! Since I couldn't think of a good reason not to do the right thing, I agreed.

So. Now comes the work part.

Before you consider starting to post pictures for this guide, let me ask that you consider cooling your jets for a week (Until ~8am on 10/26/2014) and I'll end up with ~24 hours of video for you to annotate, document, index, correlate, analyze, fold, spindle, and mutilate. In the meantime, I can scribble some notes about what I've done in this series, and use them to (hopefully) provide you with better quality material to work with. :)

This annotation's something I've wanted to do, but involves a tremendous amount of effort I haven't been able to invest and I really don't like the idea of any of your effort being "wasted" as annotating the series in this fashion will be a priceless benefit to any who might want to refer to the video!

Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2