Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 437647 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Ye Gods OOC [21/∞] Talk here
« Reply #5085 on: August 16, 2015, 10:45:13 am »

I'm calling God of Magic before anyone else does.

Wait...

Spoiler: Bohenar (click to show/hide)

Damn it! Not again! Damn timezones!

I'll do the survey in a bit. I'm a little busy atm.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 16, 2015, 10:59:49 am »

My original idea was for a God of Void and Secrets. :P

So yes, likely the mortals are pretty well fucked.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 16, 2015, 11:06:05 am »

Great, I was afraid of playing as the only evil god :P

And the magic system looks great, I'm perfectly fine with it.

ROLEPGEEK IS TOTALLY NOT COPYING MY YG0'S CHARACTER
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:08:16 am by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:56 am »

Eh, Don Giovanni isn't really evil. If anything, Fusil was more of a gangster than he was near the end  :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 16, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

I am rather tempted to be a god of clowns and chaos.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:42 am »

I am rather tempted to be a god of clowns and chaos.

I say go for it, that sounds fun.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 16, 2015, 11:36:45 am »

I tentatively call dibs on the spheres of honor/oaths and life/death.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #5092 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:32 am »

Spoiler: Survey results: (click to show/hide)

Alright, I'll be the god of Technomancy! Well, god of engineering and magic, anyway.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 16, 2015, 11:51:27 am »

I'm calling God of Magic before anyone else does.

Wait...

Spoiler: Bohenar (click to show/hide)

Damn it! Not again! Damn timezones!

I'll do the survey in a bit. I'm a little busy atm.

HAHAHAHA no damned people claiming all my wanted spheres this time!
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 16, 2015, 12:11:42 pm »

...So basically you turned mancy to urgy. I do not see how that is an improvement. Geomany should probably be kept too, since it is a "real" historical thing. Real here meaning "real Earth superstition".
It is an improvement by virtue of being a word that actually means what it's supposed to mean. Also, I will be using the English titles as much as possible, because the Greek ones are quite pretentious.

Quote from: Linked Wikipedia page
Geomancy (Greek: γεωμαντεία, "earth divination") is a method of divination that...
Divination means seeking knowledge through occult means, not "probably offensive use of rocks and some measure of ambient magic stuff," as KJP puts it. 'Geomancy' would be a misnomer.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:21 pm »

What I have to ask, is why the gods get stuck with random magic that they didn't make.
*points at Litany*
It seems like having the gods create their own magic worked there.
Although, y'know. it does seem kind of a hassle to have a bunch of separate systems.
In short, maybe have there be the concept of magic, but leave the rest of it undefined, left for the gods to shape, whatever.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:21:55 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »

...So basically you turned mancy to urgy. I do not see how that is an improvement. Geomany should probably be kept too, since it is a "real" historical thing. Real here meaning "real Earth superstition".
It is an improvement by virtue of being a word that actually means what it's supposed to mean. Also, I will be using the English titles as much as possible, because the Greek ones are quite pretentious.

Quote from: Linked Wikipedia page
Geomancy (Greek: γεωμαντεία, "earth divination") is a method of divination that...
Divination means seeking knowledge through occult means, not "probably offensive use of rocks and some measure of ambient magic stuff," as KJP puts it. 'Geomancy' would be a misnomer.

Urgy is an English suffix based on Greek ἔργον. Mancy is an English suffix based on the Greek word μαντεία. They are exactly the same amount of pretentious as each other. If anything, Urgy would be more pretentious, seeing as mancy is an accepted pedestrian term.

It isn't exactly it, but it isn't like Necromancy was (which you left alone...). It is a close-enough Real Life term. You understand what it means, there is no reason to change the suffix pointlessly. Besides, "mancy" more or less means "divination", which has connotations of " inspired by a god". A bit more appropriate for a god game then "Technique for working with".

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: August 16, 2015, 12:33:45 pm »

As for all this high-falutin' mancy/urgy debate, let it be known that I don't give a carp.  Words will be made up, have been made up, and are continuing to be made up because they sound good.  I'm in favor of just sticking whatever sounds better on the end/sticking with what people USE, which is probably *-mancy.  Except for thaumaturgy.
And when you're making up prefixes randomly anyway, what's the bloody point.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 16, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »

Urgy is an English suffix based on Greek ἔργον. Mancy is an English suffix based on the Greek word μαντεία. They are exactly the same amount of pretentious as each other.
I agree they are both pretentious, but the difference is that '-mancy' is just plain wrong in most of the cases. Not to mention mixing in Latin and English words with a Greek suffix. Only for Necromancy there is an at all possible correct definition, and even that is a very specific one.

You understand what it means, there is no reason to change the suffix pointlessly. Besides, "mancy" more or less means "divination", which has connotations of " inspired by a god". A bit more appropriate for a god game then "Technique for working with".
I also understand why 'colonel' is pronounced 'kernel', but that doesn't make it any less illogical. I understand why there is sometimes a 'u' in 'armor', sometimes not, but that doesn't make it any less complicated. I also understand why my own first name is completely unpronounceable to an English, speaker, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Is making the unnecessarily illogical, complicated and annoting English language slightly more logical, slightly simpler, and slightly less annoying not reason enough?

Also, 'divination' does not have those connotations. At the closest, it would be 'to seek inspiration from gods', and when one is throwing fireballs, manipulating life force, or lawyering sublimely, that's not quite what one is doing, is it? Unless it's FOR SCIENCE, but that's beside the point.

Well excuse me, I am a person extremely uneducated in Ancient Greek and its etymology, and my most inappropriate transliterations of Greek words to English prefixes are almost certainly incorrect. Where did you get your qualifications for judging my work, professor? :P

Still, as I said, I will be using the English names I came up with for the magic types. Hopefully, the list will be culled some before the game is out. As it is, it's simply too complex with many needlessly specialized magic types.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 16, 2015, 01:34:13 pm »

Urgy is an English suffix based on Greek ἔργον. Mancy is an English suffix based on the Greek word μαντεία. They are exactly the same amount of pretentious as each other.
I agree they are both pretentious, but the difference is that '-mancy' is just plain wrong in most of the cases. Not to mention mixing in Latin and English words with a Greek suffix. Only for Necromancy there is an at all possible correct definition, and even that is a very specific one.

You understand what it means, there is no reason to change the suffix pointlessly. Besides, "mancy" more or less means "divination", which has connotations of " inspired by a god". A bit more appropriate for a god game then "Technique for working with".
I also understand why 'colonel' is pronounced 'kernel', but that doesn't make it any less illogical. I understand why there is sometimes a 'u' in 'armor', sometimes not, but that doesn't make it any less complicated. I also understand why my own first name is completely unpronounceable to an English, speaker, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Is making the unnecessarily illogical, complicated and annoting English language slightly more logical, slightly simpler, and slightly less annoying not reason enough?

Also, 'divination' does not have those connotations. At the closest, it would be 'to seek inspiration from gods', and when one is throwing fireballs, manipulating life force, or lawyering sublimely, that's not quite what one is doing, is it? Unless it's FOR SCIENCE, but that's beside the point.

Well excuse me, I am a person extremely uneducated in Ancient Greek and its etymology, and my most inappropriate transliterations of Greek words to English prefixes are almost certainly incorrect. Where did you get your qualifications for judging my work, professor? :P

Still, as I said, I will be using the English names I came up with for the magic types. Hopefully, the list will be culled some before the game is out. As it is, it's simply too complex with many needlessly specialized magic types.

It isn't a Greek suffix, it is an English suffix with Greek origins. Its in English dictionaries, English words...Mancy is English.

I always thought there was a type of beauty in the English language, which the complexity ties into. It really isn't hard to get, if you spend your entire life using it, and as long as ideas are expressed effectively it doesn't really matter if you use words correctly. Changing such a language is a sin!

Both words have the same general entomology, which is why "divination" looks like "divinity". Thus it has similar connotations.

The mage isn't the one being inspired my Gods...the magic is. Basically, all 'magic' is is Godly powers on an ubersmall scale. A mockery of Godly powers, you could certainly say those using magic are seeking to imitate Gods, thus needing their inspiration.

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 350