Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 437759 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [21/∞] Talk here
« Reply #5040 on: August 15, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »

Giving it a try.

Spoiler: Survey (click to show/hide)

Edit: I'm almost certain I completely misunderstood a few questions. Disregard anything that makes no sense or is unrelated to the question.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:47:10 am by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: August 15, 2015, 11:04:53 pm »

Races are, arguably, more important than most of those things. They are a really important part of world creation, an empty world is simply unsuitable for world creation. If your reasoning was that you just like the concept of it or something would be fine, but "I can't be bothered to make something else" isn't an answer you should expect people to be OK with. Like I said, you could have help from one of us...Falg and I like making a bunch of races. It isn't any effort to make something that isn't human. Putting in humans, of all things, automatically changes the tone of most worlds. Even changing the name would give it a different tone....
Remember the Humans in Ye Gods? Do you remember them being bland and boring or interesting in terms of what happened in the world? I'd bet on the latter. No one cared about the Night Elves or the Star Dragons because despite being more unique in terms of design than Humans, they didn't do anything interesting. I don't bother with race creation because their being unique doesn't matter in the slightest. Their effects on the world is what matters and any race can affect the world regardless of how much of a special snowflake they are. I gave a lot more of a crap about Humans than Night Elves in Ye Gods and I would've been regardless of whether or not I created them.

Some people like making unique races. That's perfectly fine and I can understand that (see 1000-page description of creature), but it's just not a thing I'm usually into.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:15:27 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: August 15, 2015, 11:10:38 pm »

19.) Should someone so choose, they should be allowed to go as in-depth as they want.  I mean, within reasonable limits, no atom-by-atom descriptions of your new giant mountain, but if you put details in, it shouldn't count against you, and if you leave details out, it shouldn't count against you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: August 15, 2015, 11:16:24 pm »

No, I remember them being pretty bland. I remember that the Paladins were almost interesting. No one cared about the Night Elves or the Star Dragons because the dude who would've cared about them disappeared.

It's not a matter of 'oh you guys are just trying to be special and unique'. Of course we are! That's the whole point! To make something unique and see it interact in a unique world via hopefully mostly objective narrator!

You have the opportunity to make a race of creatures that's interesting and unique in it's own right, and that can develop in an interesting fashion that doesn't follow what happened in real life. And you choose not to, because it's too much extra work. It's rude, is what it feels like. What it feels like, is like you're spitting on everyone else's creations, like you're saying you don't need to contribute. That's why it annoys us.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: August 15, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

"Not wanting to put any effort into making races" is just kind of...boring? Unsportsmanlike? I can't think of a word that describes it. I don't like it. "I am not putting effort into this community game" is just not a good thing to say. It isn't extra effort. It is literally any effort. The whole point of a God Game is world creation, and not putting in at least an attempt at originality in something we all work to make is almost insulting to all the other players. You can ask for help if you want, War gods are easy to make things for (like Fusil's), I am sure we could all work together to give you something-that-is-not-Human.
No no, it's not that I don't like creation. Creation was my favourite part of Ye Gods, even. It's just that creating a race to worship me isn't that important to me. Magic, projects, weapons, artifacts, worlds, etc. are all things I'm interested in creating. Races are pretty much the only thing I don't care about putting effort into creating.

EDIT: I wrote a one thousand-word description of a creature I planned to make to KJP. The idea that I don't put effort into creation as a whole is false. I'm just disinterested in one of its aspects, said aspect being popular to most other players.

I have to side with you there. I see no reason to prevent someone from focusing on other thing than species. The diversity would be nice

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: August 15, 2015, 11:22:20 pm »

Races are, arguably, more important than most of those things. They are a really important part of world creation, an empty world is simply unsuitable for world creation. If your reasoning was that you just like the concept of it or something would be fine, but "I can't be bothered to make something else" isn't an answer you should expect people to be OK with. Like I said, you could have help from one of us...Falg and I like making a bunch of races. It isn't any effort to make something that isn't human. Putting in humans, of all things, automatically changes the tone of most worlds. Even changing the name would give it a different tone....
Remember the Humans in Ye Gods? Do you remember them being bland and boring or interesting in terms of what happened in the world? I'd bet on the latter. No one cared about the Night Elves or the Star Dragons because despite being more unique in terms of design than Humans, they didn't do anything interesting. I don't bother with race creation because their being unique doesn't matter in the slightest. Their effects on the world is what matters and any race can affect the world regardless of how much of a special snowflake they are. I gave a lot more of a crap about Humans than Night Elves in Ye Gods and I would've been regardless of whether or not I created them.

Some people like making unique races. That's perfectly fine and I can understand that (see 1000-page description of creature), but it's just not a thing I'm usually into.

I remember humans being fairly bland and boring, honestly. You probably have a different view, starting as the God of Humans with them as your pet race. I literally can't think of anything they did that was particularly interesting and not caused indirectly or directly by me killing their God repeatedly. They where simply generic and didn't do anything memorable. The Original races where lost because their Patron god abandoned them. I am not saying "Originality=Automatically Good". I am saying that original races are generally better than unoriginal ones with the same amount of effort put into them.

"Not wanting to put any effort into making races" is just kind of...boring? Unsportsmanlike? I can't think of a word that describes it. I don't like it. "I am not putting effort into this community game" is just not a good thing to say. It isn't extra effort. It is literally any effort. The whole point of a God Game is world creation, and not putting in at least an attempt at originality in something we all work to make is almost insulting to all the other players. You can ask for help if you want, War gods are easy to make things for (like Fusil's), I am sure we could all work together to give you something-that-is-not-Human.
No no, it's not that I don't like creation. Creation was my favourite part of Ye Gods, even. It's just that creating a race to worship me isn't that important to me. Magic, projects, weapons, artifacts, worlds, etc. are all things I'm interested in creating. Races are pretty much the only thing I don't care about putting effort into creating.

EDIT: I wrote a one thousand-word description of a creature I planned to make to KJP. The idea that I don't put effort into creation as a whole is false. I'm just disinterested in one of its aspects, said aspect being popular to most other players.

I have to side with you there. I see no reason to prevent someone from focusing on other thing than species. The diversity would be nice

I am not asking him to focus on species. I am asking him to put a little effort into it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: August 15, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »

It's not a matter of 'oh you guys are just trying to be special and unique'. Of course we are! That's the whole point! To make something unique and see it interact in a unique world via hopefully mostly objective narrator!

You have the opportunity to make a race of creatures that's interesting and unique in it's own right, and that can develop in an interesting fashion that doesn't follow what happened in real life. And you choose not to, because it's too much extra work. It's rude, is what it feels like. What it feels like, is like you're spitting on everyone else's creations, like you're saying you don't need to contribute. That's why it annoys us.
I care a lot more about what a race does than what a race is. Creating a 2000-page description of a race is boring to me if all the race does is sit in a cave. A single line description of a race is enough for me so long as they actually do stuff. A unique race is only interesting to me if it affects the world in some way. If its unique characteristics helps it to do so, that's good. If it doesn't, I'd still find the race interesting because they still affect the world.

I do feel the need to contribute but not when it comes to creating races. I'm more interested in giving already existing races stuff to do. Magic to build or destroy the world with, artifacts to exploit or fight over, monsters to fight or tame, stuff like that. To me, races exist so they can do stuff, not to merely exist. Humans are capable of doing stuff just fine.

I remember humans being fairly bland and boring, honestly. You probably have a different view, starting as the God of Humans with them as your pet race. I literally can't think of anything they did that was particularly interesting and not caused indirectly or directly by me killing their God repeatedly. They where simply generic and didn't do anything memorable.
Ok, maybe not interesting so much as they were relevant. They showed up in Ticks a lot and that's pretty much all that matters to me. Whether they did stuff on their own or not doesn't matter, all that matters to me is that they did stuff.

EDIT: Actually, something about unique races that interests me is reading about them. I like reading about the unique races that other gods come up with. I just don't find enjoyment in creating unique races myself. Reading about Golems and Armu and all that good stuff was fun.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it more, I'd like to clarify that I don't like creating unique races for the sake of being unique, but I do enjoy creating unique races if their unique aspects affect the world in some way.

EDIT3: On the above point, if I just want to make a race for worshipping and that's it, I won't put the effort into giving it flavour because there's no need and no desire.

EDIT4: Now that I think about it more, sometimes I do like making unique races. Not all the time, but sometimes. When I do, I make one. When I don't, I don't. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:50:41 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: August 15, 2015, 11:57:13 pm »

....Andres caught the edit bug again, didn't he?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: August 15, 2015, 11:59:41 pm »

I guess Ye Gods made me relapse. :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:23 am »

Hm.  What could I...Yes.  Yes.  This is a thing.  This is a thing that I will make.
Crystallum:
Notes: Yena takes a different form for this race, but does have a similar enough symbol that worshippers will recognize it.  Crystallum call Yena Tenat, instead.

I have no idea why I wrote this.  Oh well.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 16, 2015, 12:09:31 am »

At least for me, that's half my point. There is a need, because you're not playing by yourself. It ends up coming across as rude if you don't put any effort into it. Everyone else also has to interact with that race.

What's more, if somebody makes a several page description of a race, it's not gonna be in a cave sitting around, unless the person stops playing. It doesn't actually make it harder to make the race do things, in most cases.

It also gets annoying when you say 'make humans' and then it turns out you didn't make humans, you made utopia humans that don't get int the constant strife real humans do(since supposedly real humans are what they're based on). Or you go back and retroactively make changes as compared to irl sexual deviation.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 16, 2015, 12:15:14 am »

Making a character sheet prototype since everyone is making one apparently. I'm recycling a few things from litany, but it's going to be a very different god. I feel like making a villain this time.

Spoiler: Potentially WIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:18:55 am by FArgHalfnr »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:39 am »

Propose we kill Zenurion. He is literally a villain.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20:24 am »

Making a character sheet prototype since everyone is making one apparently. I'm recycling a few things from litany, but it's going to be a very different god. I feel like making a villain this time.

Spoiler: Potentially WIP (click to show/hide)

How is that any different from your Litany one?  :P

*Sigh* Just so there is no complaining, my planed Sphere is "Criminal Organizations". I made it the day the old Ye Gods died.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:24:47 am by Stirk »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 16, 2015, 12:31:37 am »

Not making a sheet yet, but dibs on the sphere of Perception.

Spoiler: Survey (click to show/hide)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 350