Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 435746 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #3330 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:33 am »

EDIT: If Cosmic magic is basically god-like magic, does that mean it functions as anti-Void magic? What magic does the Keshan dust ring rely on to remove Void Influence?

Why would 'God-like'=anti void? It isn't magic, it is blessed. Non-magical.

If you do go for a spin off, you should probably go with "Mortal-adventurer" type thing. Another God game with the same premise would feel more like a rip off then a spin off :-\.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: January 10, 2015, 03:17:15 am »

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to make something of pure essence?  :-\
He probably figures Essence and Void are somehow opposites, and can deal with it that way. Which really isn't true, though...quite the opposite, actually.
Actually, it's because it looks cool.

Why would 'God-like'=anti void? It isn't magic, it is blessed. Non-magical.
I'm trying to figure out what attunement "anti-Void" magic goes into and I can't figure it out. Cosmic seems like the best fit.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:47 am »

I'm trying to figure out what attunement "anti-Void" magic goes into and I can't figure it out. Cosmic seems like the best fit.

There is no such thing as anti-Void magic? Probably Eldrich magic, which is Void magic, thus also the opposite of Void magic.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: January 10, 2015, 03:27:56 am »

There is no such thing as anti-Void magic? Probably Eldrich magic, which is Void magic, thus also the opposite of Void magic.
The stuff that makes the Keshan dust ring remove Void Influence is magic. I want to know what attunement that magic falls under. I doubt Void is the opposite of Void. Creation? Yes. Void? No.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 10, 2015, 03:31:59 am »

The stuff that makes the Keshan dust ring remove Void Influence is magic. I want to know what attunement that magic falls under. I doubt Void is the opposite of Void. Creation? Yes. Void? No.

It isn't magic, at least not by the current definition of "Magic". If you made something that removed all magic powers, it wouldn't effect it, because it is simply not magic. It removes Void influence because it was created to do so. Thus it is no more magic than a Mountwryms ability to fly, an Armu's ability to survive the void, or the mermaids ability to go underwater and on land. Why would you think it was magic?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 10, 2015, 03:34:01 am »

mermaids ability to go underwater and on land. Why would you think it was magic?
Mermaids go on land? That's news to me. I thought it was magic because I didn't see any conceivable way it could be anything but magic.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 10, 2015, 03:51:42 am »

Mermaids go on land? That's news to me. I thought it was magic because I didn't see any conceivable way it could be anything but magic.

Maybe to the mermaid. I might have been making that part up *shrug*. No, it wasn't magic. It does so because a God told it to. Which isn't magic.

Not to sound offensive (since those words help...), but are you sure you understand the world well enough to do a proper spin off of the game? You do make mistakes in things I always thought where apparent some times, and a lot of your "corrections" (Don't look into the quotations too much...) are often the story in your head not matching what happens on paper. Which would also explain why often focus on details in them. We all have our own "head cannon", but in some situations (mostly when you assume things) the "reality" ends up being a good bit different than yours. I honestly think that, if you want to DM a game, you would enjoy it a lot more if you set it in a suspiciously similar but not the same universe not-quite-spinoff game that fit what you believe about it better.

I tried not to insult you,I hope I did well. Not insulting people isn't my specialty  :-\.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 10, 2015, 04:58:23 am »

Not to sound offensive (since those words help...), but are you sure you understand the world well enough to do a proper spin off of the game? You do make mistakes in things I always thought where apparent some times, and a lot of your "corrections" (Don't look into the quotations too much...) are often the story in your head not matching what happens on paper. Which would also explain why often focus on details in them. We all have our own "head cannon", but in some situations (mostly when you assume things) the "reality" ends up being a good bit different than yours. I honestly think that, if you want to DM a game, you would enjoy it a lot more if you set it in a suspiciously similar but not the same universe not-quite-spinoff game that fit what you believe about it better.
The problem is that I'm really interested in a lot of the creations that've been made and I want to base the game around them. Otherwise the players would be in some generic fantasy world and I'd have to put even more effort into world-building. Currently, I'm thinking about giving the players a few points to create a character. With them, they can give their character stats (maybe with raw stats or with perks) and their race. Mountwyrms will cost more than Humans because they come with armour and wings. Elves will cost more for their disease-immunity. Luminees cost less because they physically suck and they smell.

I tried not to insult you,I hope I did well. Not insulting people isn't my specialty  :-\.
You did an excellent job. That was really well-written negative criticism and I agree with it all. I'm slowly trying to outgrow that bad habit.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:34 am »

I favor option 3. Assuming the spinoff happens, I will disappointed if we don't visit the island of Death and Riches at some point.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:16 am »

The problem is that I'm really interested in a lot of the creations that've been made and I want to base the game around them. Otherwise the players would be in some generic fantasy world and I'd have to put even more effort into world-building. Currently, I'm thinking about giving the players a few points to create a character. With them, they can give their character stats (maybe with raw stats or with perks) and their race. Mountwyrms will cost more than Humans because they come with armour and wings. Elves will cost more for their disease-immunity. Luminees cost less because they physically suck and they smell.

I understand that, but I honestly believe the "creations you made" inside your head and the creations you made are different species altogether. For an example I had planned on putting up, look at the Paladin's armor or, much more recently, the Bellatores, especially considering their armor. I think this is a good example, since we had a discussion about this earlier. In your head, they are invincible killing machines. They are super-powerful (im?)mortals chosen by a God, trained with special skills! And their armor! Most mortals can not harm their armor with war hammers, let alone normal anti-infantry weaponry. Arrows and even crossbow bolts bounce off, no, even bullets bounce off! A team of trained mortals stands no chance, let alone the likes of the Demons, Stone Men, and the parasites. In your head, that is what they are. Fancy blood armor and what not. That is what you believe you created. In "reality", you lost 30% of the fighters you sent against Generic Mook Parasites. There wasn't even a mention of significant parasite casualties. In your head story, the giant parasites bite at a well armored human who looks down at the dented mandibles with a cruel smile on his face before slaughtering it and dozens more. In reality, it appears they just got bit and died. They are stronger than mortals, but not by as much as you think, judging by this.

Writing things for someone else's world is hard. I always avoid it, I had never been one to write fan fiction or the like. To fit into the world, you need to have a great understanding of it. This gets really hard when a dozen people are each contributing to the world, especially when people hide everything from you. I don't know one person who doesn't have a secret project going on.

I am not saying that you shouldn't use your creations. I am saying I think you would have more fun using your creations if they where what you thought they where, rather than what they "are". I am trying to say that you would be better telling your story, rather then "our" story. One where Bellatores really are killing machines on par with what you believe, with armor that really can block bullets. I am trying to say that by trying to keep it in the world of "Ye Gods", a world that even people who have been actively studying it for 90 days only know a small part of it, you are kind of holding yourself back.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 10, 2015, 05:39:04 am »

"....are you hitting on Azem? "There is nothing more comfortable than being inside me"? How subtle."

I always thought Malkath was a goldigger.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3341 on: January 10, 2015, 05:51:57 am »

Planet without using Essence: Plot-significance prevents this from being the case if you want it for more than bragging rights. Magic doesn't quite work that way in all cases, but it's possible to lower the cost in exchange for time (and possible disruptions along the way). If you just want a planet that does something like resemble your face that will never house mortals, secret bases, or hide anyone on it, it's free. 7 ticks does sound like a decent lower bound on this sort of activity for such things as planets.
Ama: Noted, instructions received.
KI'Tork: As Andres said.
Spin-offs: Sometimes, I wish I could be a player instead so as to be able to participate in spin-offs and witch-hunts and all that manipulation YG tends to cultivate. :P For the record, I have no problems with actual rip-offs, but I'm afraid I can't publish certain details kept hidden for some sort of misplaced security-through-obscurity thing or for player stability.
Anti-Void magic: There's no true inverse to Void magic, but the complete absence of magic probably comes close to its opposite. It's vaguely like trying to find the opposite of a pumpkin in the set containing all fruit in that the set would probably not contain the inverse. Of course, taking Void to mean "nothing," perhaps eldritch magic could be its own opposite. It has some out-of-context analogy to certain neutral mesons being their own antiparticles.
Attunements and the dust ring: It's not an attunement so much as it is an explicit power. While classifying various abilities into attunements seems like an interesting thing to do, it falls apart for many things. A clock, for example, is not an example of elemental or dimensional magic at work.
Luminees: T.M.I.! [insert emoticon here]
Spin-off in the likeness of the IoDaR minigame: I don't mind releasing this stuff (if I can even recall it), but much of it just borrows from Nethack and (idiosyncratic) preconceptions about d20.
Bellatores getting killed off (too much?) by the parasite-beasts: The reasoning's not visible, but it's no mistake. Of course, keep in mind that they probably slaughtered, say, ten times more parasite-beasts for every Bellator killed with no announcement, but being heavily outnumbered and continuously attacked tends not to be conducive to survival.

$$$Response
Dragon angels that shoot fireballs with extreme spread: 6-7E base
Make a terrestrial planet anti-Void: 20E+
Gas giant anti-Void: 30E+
Moon anti-Void: Typically 15E+
Star of pure Essence: Needs more detail; possible interpretations range from making starry decorations out of 1E each to making self-contained reactors maintained by Essence in addition to fusion

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 10, 2015, 06:03:48 am »

"....are you hitting on Azem? "There is nothing more comfortable than being inside me"? How subtle."

I always thought Malkath was a goldigger.

I laughed. Then realized that is 100% true. Then I laughed harder.

Bellatores getting killed off (too much?) by the parasite-beasts: The reasoning's not visible, but it's no mistake. Of course, keep in mind that they probably slaughtered, say, ten times more parasite-beasts for every Bellator killed with no announcement, but being heavily outnumbered and continuously attacked tends not to be conducive to survival.

Then my example goes to show how little I know about this world still  :-[.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: January 10, 2015, 06:13:59 am »

By the way, some of my bragging rights: I created something so unique, I didn't have to pay extra for the [UNIQUE] tag.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: January 10, 2015, 06:17:57 am »

By the way, some of my bragging rights: I created something so unique, I didn't have to pay extra for the [UNIQUE] tag.

Doesn't count if you have Void given knowlage help :-\.

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 350