Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58636 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41:20 pm »

"I guess it's time to Book'em... That is a thing people say still yes?"

Smash one of the books with my Light Flail
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 07, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »

"Ithy" keeps close ranks with the rest of the party, and swings at the nearest swarm with their rapier.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:35:40 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 08, 2015, 10:10:53 pm »

Culpa steps forth, and swings at the book swarm! [14+6, 6+2] The flail lands with a resounding hit, scattering and destroying a several of the books. Only a small handful move, while the rest twitch gently before seeming to curl up. A few have flipped, giving you a disturbing view of a large maw in the center of the book.

[???+7] Osirio considers the books, but comes up with little. He's heard mention of living books, but never seen any, or heard details. Well, hitting them can't be *that* bad, can it? You suppose you'll find out. [8+5, miss] Or not, seeing as they scuttle away from the descending flail.

[???+4] Ari actually knows a decent amount about these constructs; even made a simpler version while studying magic. They're commonly made specifically to guard libraries of magi. They aren't particularly dangerous, but in large numbers, as present here, they can kill. They'll relentlessly attack anyone unless the creator or someone designated by the creator commands it otherwise. But there's something else; the marks on the binding of the book mean...Something. [???+1] You've seen the mark before, but you can't remember where, or what it means. Fire resistance, maybe? But you could be wrong.
Regardless, he continues his chant, and moves to a defensive position behind Ava.

Ava then ceases to support Ari's defensive position and runs for a book swarm. Well, good idea while it lasted. She and her boar both go for one of them down the hall; [16+6, 7+5+3] the boar is left simply rooting at the now inanimate books, as the maul managed to crush all of them.

Slinking through the shadows, Ithy [8, miss] attempts to skewer some of the remaining books, but instead meets only stone.

The two remaining book swarms both encircle Culpa and Osirio, swarming over them and biting across their skin! Thankfully, they don't seem to be doing a lot of biting. [1 DAMAGE (CULPA), 2 DAMAGE (OSIRIO)]

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:24:52 pm by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 08, 2015, 10:49:34 pm »

"Ithy" keeps close ranks with the rest of the party, and swings at the nearest swarm with their rapier.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 09, 2015, 03:17:21 pm »

Osirio was annoyed.

"This is the battle that is taking TOO LONG!" He raged, sliding away from the swarm, and slamming his flail down ferociously.

Action: 5ft Step one space South out of the swarm, and +2 Power attack on these pesky pages! Random target unless I know which one has less HP.

Attack: +3 to-hit, 1d8+5 damage
31/35 HP
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:34:41 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:25 pm »

"Beast, kill zhe one near zhe priest." That said, Ava marched stalwartly towards the ones that assaulted Osirio... to her surprise, Osirio had lost his temper and was violently attempting to end the violent library fodder.

She smiled slightly.

Batter dem books near Osirio while Ice Ice Badger attacks the one near Culpa.

(Ava: +6, 2d8+3, Ice Ice Badger: claw +4, 1d2-1+1d6cold)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 09, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »

((Alright, so heads up. I uploaded the wrong map; I've fixed it now, however. Please take a look at the new one and, if needed, change your action))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2015, 02:07:15 am »

Ari will hold his defensive position and morningstar any books in the face that come near. Don't stop chanting for as long as possible.

"Hmm... magical books mean magical feckers, oft as not - we should be prepared for some nasty kind of magical nonsense..." he said, in between the words of his hideous chant, which was variations on the themes of burning, loneliness, despair, and horrible gaping wounds being dealt to one's enemies.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:37 pm »

Osirio, growing angry, shakes off the books, and brings down his flail again and again atop them! The spines are shattered and chitinous claws in shards; the swarm is dead!

Culpa, maybe encouraged and/or scared by his cohort's wrath, does the same: A number of fierce blows reducing the swarm to powderized literature. Eugh. Is that Pelor Shrugged? Truly you've excised a great evil from the world.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 17, 2015, 05:55:16 pm »

Osirio nattily swiped book dust off himself, controlling his breathing.

"...That was taking a bit longer than anticipated...in any case, we have won, and the knowledge is now being ours...be careful what you read, or touch. As you can see, magic books are...tricky. The wrong book may take you to another world, or make you into a different person-and not being in a poetic, imaginative sense."

Action: Osirio begins to search the book stocks for anything remotely interesting. Arcana be checking, yo.

((Where's our XP, BTW? Is the encounter not over yet?))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 17, 2015, 05:57:31 pm »

It's time in this world done, the Ice Beast promptly and suddenly melted on the battered remnants of the magical books. Ava turned to Osirio, cocking her head speculatively. She regarded him for a moment, before turning away, smiling slightly beneath her scarf.

"Hmmph." she said, though it wasn't an annoyed one. "Never zaw zhe need for veading. Books never helped me.""

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2015, 06:06:28 pm »

((Where's our XP, BTW? Is the encounter not over yet?))
((In the mystical plane known as "I forgot". 225 experience for all!))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2015, 06:19:38 pm »

"A mind needs books like a blade needs a whetstone, snow wife. It keeps the edge sharp. Men who have long died lay their entire lives upon parchments. Osirio consumes these words readily. They died for my benefit, after all. Who are they to complain? I take what they wrote and thought and make it into my own knowledge...much like you might find a piece of armor, or a weapon from a defeated foe and make it into your own.

That I say, you should be careful of magic tomes. They can be very dangerous, especially to the unlearned.

For example, have you ever heard of the Verbum Scripsi? The Tome that Becomes You?"
He asked wryly, knowing it was extremely unlikely she had ever heard of such a thing...though he was interested, if she had such legends in her own lands.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:25 pm »

((According to my sheet, I have 3847 xp. That should be correct, yes?))

Ava shook her head. She pulled a book off the shelf, looked at it, and casually dropped it on the floor when it failed to catch her interest.

"No, not heard of zhis Verdum Scripski."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 18, 2015, 09:40:55 am »

"I've never heard of it either to be fair."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52