Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58779 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #420 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:59 pm »

"Constructs. Ugh."
Ithy continues the servant-mugging, because Sneak Attack.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »

"Why would things go right? I hate machines." Culpa ran towards the Machine, taking a que from Osirio's actions, and attempted to smash the creature with his flail.

Up 2, Right 3. Light Flail: +2 to Hit. 1d8+1 damage.
Culpa runs to the machine, and attempts to bash the abomination to scrap metal. Though his effort is valiant, the shield of the thing deflects the blow.

Operating more on instinct and reflex, Ari drives his morningstar into its groin region.

"Your usual tactics are ineffective, Gnome..." Osirio comments, dryly.

He moves to help at a quick pace, his hand blazing with dark purple curselight...a machine has a thousand moving parts, after all, and only one needs to fail...

Osirio's flail spins round and round in a steel cage as he looks for a weakspot, holding in a pattern intended for his own defense. Analyzing his enemy, how it moves, what he can remember about these things...

Action: Go Help Ari!

Curse that machine, then move in and strike it with my flail while fighting defensively.

Attack: -1 to-hit, 1d8+2 damage, +2 AC (AC now 18)

Hex: Will save Dc 15, or suffer -2 penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 hour

Also, analyze it with Arcane Knowledge, if possible (+5)

Osirio's curse strikes true; the luck-hound wreaks havoc within the machinery, as the simple mind of the construct fails to do much of anything to fend it off, save provide token resistance. He proceeds to try and study the thing, fighting primarily for defense as he does so. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't yield much of a result as far as hitting the thing goes, but he does recognize it; Clockwork Guardians are usually used by some of the wealthier and more paranoid members of society as guards.
They're slow, and not very bright, but their hammer strike is devastatingly powerful. In addition, the bronze plating that makes up their "skin" is deceptively sturdy, as it's usually treated with a number of wards and abjurations. However, they are known to be fairly vulnerable to magic.

And on the note of having a devastatingly powerful hammer strike, it would appear the automaton has chosen now to show it off. Swinging at Osirio, the hammer connects with a painful crack, and a newly dented shield. Osirio's vision blurs for a moment, and he's sent reeling. Just barely, though, he manages to cling on to consciousness. [7 DAMAGE]

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ASCII Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:29:05 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2015, 05:16:50 am »

”Urrruggguuugggrhhhg!” shouts Ari, throwing caution to the wind and deciding the beast’s shin to probably be impregnable anyway, ”Urruuggghhgggnnng!!”

He waves his Wand of Cure Light Wounds at Osirio in a panic and start Inspiring Courage by mumbling an epic chant about that time when his cousin’s friend’s missus stole some beans off Elder Fulchbottle. Normally the recollection would make him snigger with joy, but the battle fever had gripped Ari, and he was deadly serious.

((I believe he can use the wand and do whatever whilst Performing

edit: Yes, due to Melodic Casting))

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:13:51 am by lawastooshort »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 08, 2015, 08:00:25 am »

Drop sap (free action).
Cast Blade of Blood as a swift action.
Charge, wielding hammer two-handed. 2d8+1d6+4 damage, +5 (+3+2) to hit.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2015, 11:12:54 am »

"Osirio has a terrible thought. Let's see how empathetic a construct is...

Also, feel free to use your magic-this thing has a weakness to it!"

Action: The thing moves pretty slow, right-Osirio picks up the chef (or the lightest hostage available) and uses him/her as a human shield, interposing himself between anyone the Guardian looks like it's trying to attack-hopefully confusing it between legitimate targets and real ones. And it's better if it smashes them, then us.

8/13 HP
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:47 pm »

"Then let's be done with it." Culpa said as he swung his flail yet again.

Swing my flail, yet again.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2015, 01:29:10 pm »

”Urrruggguuugggrhhhg!” shouts Ari, throwing caution to the wind and deciding the beast’s shin to probably be impregnable anyway, ”Urruuggghhgggnnng!!”

He waves his Wand of Cure Light Wounds at Osirio in a panic and start Inspiring Courage by mumbling an epic chant about that time when his cousin’s friend’s missus stole some beans off Elder Fulchbottle. Normally the recollection would make him snigger with joy, but the battle fever had gripped Ari, and he was deadly serious.

((I believe he can use the wand and do whatever whilst Performing

edit: Yes, due to Melodic Casting))

Ari, taking out his wand, quickly says the command word, and a small arc of light leaps from the tip towards Osirio, causing his wounds to knit together [5 DAMAGE HEALED]. That done, he begins his mumbling chant, the sonorous sound managing to inspire courage in his allies, despite the sinister tone to the mutterings.

Ithy, on the other hand, merely watches from the shadows.

Ava has, at once, begun moving towards the construct. She moves forward, a cold fury in her eyes, matching even the chill of her homeland. Dropping her sap, she hefts her hammer as she walks. She swings it widely, and on another plane that only Osirio can see out of the group, the curse-hound bites into the construct. The shield moves to intercept, and would handily, were it not for the none-too-coincidental seizing of the mechanics controlling the arm. The blow strikes with devastating force, the enchantment given by Ava passing easily through the wards inscribed on the armor. [TO-HIT ROLL: 15, 19 DAMAGE]. A great number of gears fall out, and a great clang and tormented shriek of metal is emanated. The thing, however, just barely hangs on to "life".

"Then let's be done with it." Culpa said as he swung his flail yet again.

Swing my flail, yet again.
Culpa is glad to very quickly correct this. With a fierce swing of his flail, the helm forming the head of the thing crumples, causing it to fall to the ground, inert [TO-HIT ROLL: 18, 5 DAMAGE].

Digging through the wreckage of the creature, you find the core of it; it takes the shape of a rough cylinder, fitting easily in the palm of your hand. You're familiar enough with them to know that you can, by flicking it quickly, cause a discharge of magic; however, exactly what spell would be cast isn't always known. This particular one casts a random cantrip.

[270 EXPERIENCE GAINED]
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2015, 01:36:20 pm »

Realising that his chanting has saved his life, Ari continues mumbling, before Hiding and Moving Silentlyish through the door the construct came through. After trying to remove its armoured groin plate for himself.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »

Osirio was actually sort of glad he didn't have to enact "Plan B".

That Chef made a pretty good casserole.

"Well! Nice shot, Mr. Culpa. I'm sure he felt the full force of your argument...can I examine that cylinder a moment? And, let's see...well, that's a lot of scrap. Might be useful, after we're done."

Osirio frowned at his dented shield. He supposed it was better than a dent in his head...

Action: Examine the cylinder with my arcane knowledge, if possible. (+5)

Follow Ari if he signals or all clear, or we hear a terrible crunching noise from his general direction

13/13 HP
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:44:20 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2015, 01:48:47 pm »

Ava stared at the construct a moment.

"Zhat died too eazy. Metal zhould be stronger zhan that."

The cook had seen her. She was distinctive.

"Zhe cook-master probably zaw me before I knocked him out. And zhere has been a lot of noize. Ve make ze cook lead uz to zhe target, kill ze cook and capture the target."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 09, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

"Indeed. We don't have the time to torture him, though...I am thinking that we should hand off the other staff to the Lords once they arrive to taken our prisoner into custody, assuming we do. They will be out of the way then-no matter what they choose to do with them. The chef will likely die in any case, as the situation permits, but I can hopefully convince him it is more likely everyone else will live if he helps us capture this man...of course, if he refuses, you can kill him. And if we do not catch the man alive, it's likely the rest of them must be killed as well." Osirio says, a bit bitterly, if quietly enough the hostages could not hear.

As a rule, he found such things distasteful...which was he had people like Ava do it for him.

Second Action! Slap the chef awake and try to convince him to help lead us to his master with my diplomacy (+9)

Tell him catching this *evil* man will likely spare the rest of the people in the household a grisly fate.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »

While Osirio roused the cook, Avalanche routed through the machine. She lifted the dented helm, shaking it to let the components tumble out before placing it on her head and looking out the glass eyes. She made a sound a tossed the helm aside.
Zhere is nothing like zhis up North.  Ztill, it vas veak.
She picked up the hammer it used and compared it to her own.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:37 pm »

Osirio shakes his head, turning the cylinder around in his hand.

"Weak, indeed-but they could make a hundred of these things if they had the money...and there is only one Ava Snow. One day these machines will replace all the heroes, I think." He muses.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2015, 02:33:53 pm »

Ari also remembers to Listen (+6) as he scouts ahead. As much as Mumbling permits.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 09, 2015, 02:51:03 pm »

"I hope zhey do not. Zhere is less fun in breaking zome zorcerer's toy."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52