Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Alien Isolation: A creature hunts you!  (Read 9388 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Isolation: A creature hunts you!
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 04:26:46 pm »

It'd have to be constantly screeching for it to use echolocation. :P

Could also be at higher frequencies than we can hear. Be neat to allow the player to submerge themselves in water to help locate the Alien's echolocation.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 04:30:27 pm »

If it used echolocation then it should be able to find you when you're standing still or when you show up somewhere where previously you weren't.  As long as you're standing still it can walk right past you.  I've never had the balls to just stand in the middle of hte hallway but I don't know if it'll see me.
Shoes...

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 05:51:46 pm »

If it used echolocation then it should be able to find you when you're standing still or when you show up somewhere where previously you weren't.  As long as you're standing still it can walk right past you.  I've never had the balls to just stand in the middle of hte hallway but I don't know if it'll see me.

Well there was one point where I was chilling in a hallway, beside a box.. And the Alien walked toward a room in front of me, I fumbled with the controls (Trying to get to my inventory to get a flash bang, I figure it might be enough to give me time to run and hide), and she moved.. RIGHT as she moves he stopped, and turned toward me, he got up on his hind legs like he was trying to get a better look (Or Sense I guess depending on how it is suppose to see) and he let out a half hearted screech and killed me. Almost always with the head bite, if you face him directly that seems to be what he does, just walk up to you and headbite your skull.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »

I love how that description you gave about the head-biting made it sound like the whole thing is an inconvenience to you:
"It's always a bit of a bother, really. Whenever I try to get in overtime at the office that bloody thing pops down from the vent and takes a piece out of my skull. Doctor says to stop moving around too much but how the hell am I to do that when I'm rushing to get this deadline in?"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »

It could be using that hissing sound it always makes to echolocate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144703.0

Anyone here know modders or how to mod? THIS MUST BE DONE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »

I've heard it uses some kind of electromagnetic sense which would explain why it responds to you shining your flashlight on it but otherwise doesn't appear to track you visually.
Shoes...

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 09:40:34 pm »

As far as the underlying mechanics are concerned, it has visual perception :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 02:22:32 am »

What i don't like about this game so far,
The intro felt like a ripoff from Aliens, they could of done better, put a bit of time in this.
Very good game in rest, felt better than colonial jarheads.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 09:07:05 am »

What i don't like about this game so far,
The intro felt like a ripoff from Aliens, they could of done better, put a bit of time in this.
Very good game in rest, felt better than colonial jarheads.
You do realize, this game is based on Alien, right?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:43 am »

I think what he means is that the people who made that intro made no effort to make it seem like it's own thing, rather then "alien, but on a different ship!".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »

I just beat this game, after buying it on the launch day, which was after anticipating it for months.

In short: I enjoyed the game a lot and don't regret buying it on the launch day.

The game looks fantastic, and I really, really liked the attention to detail that they put in on just about everything.  While I didn't find the game all that scary for long, I felt like they did a good job with setting the game up to be tense.  I also like everything about Seegson and how it adds to the Alien universe.  For once it's not entirely about Weyland-Yutani.

The game's definitely not perfect though.  First comes the non spoilery stuff.  I read some people claim that the game was almost too long, and I think they had a point.  There were a few times when something came up that felt a bit like padding or were put in for other gratuitous reasons.  There is an awful lot of button mashing and lever pulling, again, often times for reasons that felt like they just wanted you to push a button or pull a lever.  Sometimes it adds to the atmosphere to have to pull emergency releases, and that's cool, but sometimes you have to run all over the place to find something to hit just to hit it.  The game's difficulty is also really hit or miss, at least on medium difficulty.  I'll save details for the spoilers section.

Speaking of which:

Anyway, while that's a huge, long list that makes it sound like I'm ranting, I did really enjoy the game and would recommend it to any Alien fan.  I just kind of wish the story was... better.  The gameplay was pretty good, if not really scary.  I was more tense leading up to the alien the first time than actually encountering it afterward.  Its AI also seemed a bit hit or miss, but was better than I expected nonetheless (I wasn't expecting much).

Maybe I need to play again on hard mode.  That might alleviate some of my complaints about it being too easy and not needing distractions.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 10:03:21 pm »

Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 10:10:08 pm »

Spoiler: ACTUAL SPOILERS (click to show/hide)

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 06:55:52 pm »

Thank you for using spoiler tags!

I had something funny/horrifying happen to me a short time ago. When I was trying to get to transit after comms a train came with two men in it. I hid behind a sign and heard one of the men say "This is bullshit!" as he was walking out of the train. On cue the alien comes running down the stairs and kills them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4