Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Alien Isolation: A creature hunts you!  (Read 9384 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Isolation: A creature hunts you!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 05:54:20 pm »

I've paid basically zero attention to the Oculus Rift aside from wondering why basically every kickstarter project in history has a stretch goal relating to it (Get oculus rift support for your minimalist wallet!)

That actually kind of makes me want one.  Not 350 bucks want one, but it looks pretty sweet.

The game's actually pretty scary once you get past the early scripted sequences.  I accidentally climbed into a vent with the alien once.  I had to pause it and collect my faculties real quick.  I think if it'd happened with the OR there would've been a physiological disaster of some sort or another.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »

I've been reading claiming [...] that Sega disabled it because they didn't want to be held liable for heart attacks.

C'mon dude, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »

It's probably because the oculus rift hasn't been really released yet and they didn't want to bother designing features for less than 1% of their players.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 10:56:56 pm »

So I've only seen this game streamed so far, but from that I have one piece of crucial advice: Play on Hard. On Normal the Alien's AI has a tendency to go all herp derp outside of straightaways and a lot of the more subtle dangers almost never trigger, but on Hard all that goes away.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 12:16:53 am »

So I've only seen this game streamed so far, but from that I have one piece of crucial advice: Play on Hard. On Normal the Alien's AI has a tendency to go all herp derp outside of straightaways and a lot of the more subtle dangers almost never trigger, but on Hard all that goes away.

What are more of the subtle dangers? I have enough time finishing the med bay area with that stupid code on hard, I almost want to try running but that's just fucking stupid.. The alien kept hounding me because I kept using the motion tracker, even when he was nearby. I think he's actually listening for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 12:44:37 am »

What are more of the subtle dangers? I have enough time finishing the med bay area with that stupid code on hard, I almost want to try running but that's just fucking stupid.. The alien kept hounding me because I kept using the motion tracker, even when he was nearby. I think he's actually listening for it.
Spoiler: Mechanics Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 12:56:22 am »

I also noticed he doesn't seem to have great peripheral vision. If you sit still he may walk right past you, assuming you're a box or something. I just hope he doesn't figure that one out. I actually need to take a break from the game because it freaks me out sometimes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 10:59:32 am »

I also noticed he doesn't seem to have great peripheral vision. If you sit still he may walk right past you, assuming you're a box or something. I just hope he doesn't figure that one out. I actually need to take a break from the game because it freaks me out sometimes.
Spoiler: Mechanic Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No Gods, No Masters.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

How do those mechanics work then? Sound is obvious, as it's been represented in every stealth game since metal gear. Vibration sounds like movement as well, so how is that different? For smell, is there some sort of proximity "aura" that you give off that gets stronger over time the longer you stay in the same place or something?

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 01:10:01 pm »

Spoiler: Mechanic Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hum, the Xenomorph entry in the alien species wiki thing says it's unknown whether they have eyes or not, they may be under the carapace.. They also may use electro-reception, pretty interesting stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:15 pm »

I think it can track you by smell.  I'm in the medbay too and there've been some spots where I thought I'd dodged it and it got back on my trail. 

If it gets you cornered in a room it takes a long time for it to give up and leave because it knows you're in there somewhere.

It's a lot nicer than similar games like Outlast where you can walk into a room with one door and climb into one of two lockers and watch him look in the other locker, assume you've dissolved into mist or something, and then leave.
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »

No visible eyes, but this one grew from a human right? Maybe they do have eyes, somewhere.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »

The original alien had a translucent head carapace.  You can see part of a human skull from the way it uses its host's DNA but there's no eyes in there.
Shoes...

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »

The original alien had a translucent head carapace.  You can see part of a human skull from the way it uses its host's DNA but there's no eyes in there.

And seeing as this game goes by the original movie, yeah. I'd go with Echo Location or that other one

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

It'd have to be constantly screeching for it to use echolocation. :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4