Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)  (Read 50226 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2015, 09:20:19 am »

So can someone explain horrors to me?  Because I just met some.  And I don't know why.  I suspect someone sicced them on me.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:17 am »

Horrors are evil things from beyond the universe that are pretty Lovecraftian in tone. Most of them are chumps who feed off of negative emotions or something along those lines, but then you have Doom Horrors who hunt down Gods and heros for shits and giggles. Thankfully the littler ones are pretty weak against anything more than PD.

I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming someone else for the horrors. It takes 2~4 Astral and Blood to send horrors after all, which is not a common path combination. Or at least it isn't if you aren't Abysia or Mictlan.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:10 am »

Did they attack one of your commanders by themself? Blame the RNG. Did they attack an army in the field? Blame another player.

Direct evocation spells and troops with magic weapons are your best bet against them, though massed missiles can work too - massed flaming missiles are obviously even better. They rely on fear and magic-negating attacks to defeat armies, and etherealness and lifestealing for the most part to stay alive, so those are the factors you need to look at to put them down. Wrecking the sender's blood economy is the only real long-term solution, though - they're relatively cheap for what they can do.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:58 am »

I'm not claiming that I did it, but I was there to see it, and I wish I had done it, because that has to be one of the most cost-effective casts of send horror ever:

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2015, 10:42:09 am »

Yup, that'd be Send Horror; 3B4S, Blood 8. range 6, 15 slaves. Depending on the army's scripting, those results don't look exceptional, outside of how high the kill percentage is - thank the Sleeper's high leadership for that. Send Horror can be nasty, and that army doesn't look particularly well-suited to kill most types of horrors it could produce, especially when scripted to fight something else.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »

Yep, that's basically what happened.  So someone sent a horror after me.

And yes, very cost effective, and it did screw me over a wee bit.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 25, 2015, 09:17:04 pm »

I'm getting heavy snow tomorrow and probably later in the week too. There's a good chance I might lose power and not be able to submit turns. Last time a storm this big came, I didn't have power for about a week. I don't have a car charger for my phone so I'll be trying not to use the internet too much and I might be MIA for a while.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »

I'm reading what you posted, but don't actually see where you say what you want done... feel bad for you while you stale turns? Postpone things?

I'm open to ideas.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 25, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »

It's up to everyone else. If you all think it's worth it to postpone things, then great. If not, then I'll stale and it's not a huge deal. I don't really expect to win anymore but playing is still fun and someone getting my capital without a fight might be a semi big deal.

If you'd all like me to go AI, that's fine too but I should ideally hear that soon before it's too late for me to do anything about it.
Sure thing peanut man!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2015, 11:00:57 pm »

That giant snowstorm is going to hit here too, by the way. (Unless there's another giant snowstorm striking somewhere else in the world tomorrow as well)

I for one have no idea whether the power will go out or not, or for how long if it does. Sometimes when something knocks it out, they get it back up within a day or two... Other times it takes a week. One time it took two weeks.

To make it explicit, if I were to lose power and internet, I know I'd prefer if I didn't stale another 6 turns in a row. (And postponing would be preferable to repeatedly staling while looking for replacements)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:13:44 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:00 am »

I think we should avoid staling. It's not fun and not fair and not too long because of the snow storm.
So from my side I want to wait if someone need more time for the turn.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »

Next turn delayed for 48 hours - hopefully no one loses power, but if so, this should probably cover it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:37:51 pm by AlStar »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »

Haven't lost power so far. Seems like I'm getting less snow than expected and my current turn is in. The snow is supposed to continue throughout tomorrow and into the next day so it's still going to be a bit iffy for a while.
Sure thing peanut man!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2015, 12:06:53 am »

The snow is supposed to continue throughout tomorrow and into the next day so it's still going to be a bit iffy for a while.

^
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2015, 09:55:03 pm »

You may want to extend it, it's getting close to the deadline and not everyone has sent something in yet.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33