Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: People who autograph their forum posts  (Read 1128 times)

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
People who autograph their forum posts
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:30:25 pm »

why

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: People who autograph their forum posts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:37:21 pm »

IT'S A MYSTERY
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »

Why not?

- Ostentatious Sir Paddington XXXXVGHTSGUYGHIIIIV
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »

Seems to happen more in the upper boards than down here, so the people concerned probably won't even see this.

Except Xanty, of course.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:44:54 pm »

There's like one person who does that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »

Honestly, where I've seen it, it seems to be more common among folks that speak english as a second language. Sort of like that whole thing where they put a space in front of question marks or other punctuation. So maybe some odd misunderstanding regarding grammar or writing conventions?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »

what do You mean ?

something like This ?

Because i havent seen people doing This .
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »

There's like one person who does that.
ZZZZZOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »

And if we are talking about that one specific person, I'd like to give a heads up this topic has been brought up in the past with people being unreasonably rude to the point of Toady having to personally step in and tell people to pipe it down. And the person being ridiculed is actually one of the most polite fucking guys around here.

Then again, I only know of one who does that, might be other people too.

Oh, are we talking in general? Sorry for rant then. My opinion - who gives a damn, let's move on. /thread
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »

what do You mean ?

something like This ?

Because i havent seen people doing This .
Yeah, it's usually not with periods -- just question and exclamation marks. Kinda' drives me up the wall, personally, but it is what it is.

And @ sini, I'unno about the OP but I am kinda' curious about the reasoning behind it, same as I've never actually gotten around to figuring out why the whole <end sentence ?> thing is a thing. It doesn't seem like it's just an idle affectation, so presumably the behavior is being taught somewhere or... something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 04:21:10 pm »

It's the norm on some other forums, but it irks me a bit to see it. It's far more common on the upper boards than down here though, so there's that.

I guess I could see it as some way for people to find a relevant post buried in a long thread, like adding "jiggawatts" or something to the bottom of the page so people can search for that when they're looking for an update on the thing the thread is about. But then why not just provide a link in the OP?

It baffles me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:16:04 pm »

If you actually want a resolution to this, try talking to the person themselves rather than being so passive aggressive about it. They might not be aware of the signature feature on the forums.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:17 pm »

I guess it's kind of a cultural thing. Like how in some European cultures it's normal to greet friends with a hug/kiss, but many other places see that as somewhat creepy.

It doesn't really bother me. I don't like doing it myself, seeing as there's no real purpose, but I wouldn't say it's bad, or others should stop.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »

why

It is/was standard practice on most BBSs. Some people continue doing it out of habit when they make the switch to the web.

EDIT:
Here you go: post of mine from 2007 that I signed. Took a while before I adapted. Some people never do. I still think it's weird that some people use their real names online on twitter and so forth.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »

What's hilarious is that the original purpose of forum signatures is for people to do this.

Then people realized you could do other stuff with them.

And on that note, I haven't changed my signature since I joined this forum. Never really found reason to.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.
Pages: [1] 2