Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows are wonky  (Read 810 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows are wonky
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:01:52 am »

I've started to use burrows for some basic stuff...the depot, when I need a lever pulled immediately.  What I've noticed is that when I set the burrow if the dwarf assigned is hauling something...he just stops and I get an "inaccessable" error.  He doesn't drop the item, he doesn't finish the job, he just stops..Forever. 

Compare this to using Therapist to remove a job type, say I have a miner that is hauling wood.  I can go to Therapist, remove Wood Hauling and even if he's on his way outside...he will still do the one piece of wood he was heading for and then won't touch wood again. 

This makes no sense that a burrow would completely shut down a dwarf from doing anything.  Even abandoning the current job if that's what needed to be done.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows are wonky
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

Well, i havent messed much with df2014 yet. But previously they would often stop whatever they were doing upon being added to the burrow, and only after they are given a task within the burrow, will they start moving again.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »

Try adding a meeting area in the burrow as well as food and drink.  When the dwarf in question gets a task to do in the burrow it will go there.

Once there you can delete/deactivate the meeting area, if you are limiting meeting areas in your fortress.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:27:44 am »

Well, i havent messed much with df2014 yet. But previously they would often stop whatever they were doing upon being added to the burrow, and only after they are given a task within the burrow, will they start moving again.

that was a 'bug' in that the dwarf was probably carrying something but needed a place to dump it, which he couldnt find in the burrow. The indecision locked him in place.

otherwise as reply to the title of the thread:
Yes they are. Still useful though. Note that some jobs can be stopped through the (j)obs menu. I take stone and woodhauling off of my miners and woodcutters, almost always, since I dont want either to stroll into areas they dont belong (yay for cave adaptation being back) and I dont want em to pick up the result of their own work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:30 am »

that was a 'bug' in that the dwarf was probably carrying something but needed a place to dump it, which he couldnt find in the burrow. The indecision locked him in place.

otherwise as reply to the title of the thread:
Yes they are. Still useful though. Note that some jobs can be stopped through the (j)obs menu. I take stone and woodhauling off of my miners and woodcutters, almost always, since I dont want either to stroll into areas they dont belong (yay for cave adaptation being back) and I dont want em to pick up the result of their own work.

That bug must still be there then because that is what is happening. 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:37 pm »

Its a known bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=597

Burrows are a huge source of bugs and confusion when playing the game.  Toady said he's going back to bug fixing after the fruit update, so hopefully he'll address the burrow bugs then.