Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathing and large-scale stone quarrying  (Read 1073 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathing and large-scale stone quarrying
« on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »

How well does DF2014 deal with large mined-out areas such as a stone quarry where I am digging out a few thousand stones to make into crafts / blocks / furniture.

I would guess that just doing "d-d" on each layer would be a bad idea because it would create dozens of empty rooms.  So I'm considering doing "d-h" on each layer, with one side of the quarry having ramps to allow access from the top level to the bottom of the rock quarry.

And after I've finished quarrying out a 30x80 (probably 30z deep), I'd want to seal it up?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathing and large-scale stone quarrying
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »

Honestly, if the pathfinding still works like it did in 31. and 34., clearing levels with dig will be far less destructive to FPS than channeling large areas.  I use vast amounts of stone and metal so I frequently have to empty whole levels, and I've only ever used channeling once, because my FPS went from a steady 100 down to 40.  If you use drawbridges to seal a deck after hollowing it out (and removing ALL the stones/gems/ores), the impact will be at worst manageable, and at best non-existent.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »

If you use drawbridges to seal a deck after hollowing it out (and removing ALL the stones/gems/ores), the impact will be at worst manageable, and at best non-existent.

Thats a neat idea. Going to try it out on my next fort.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:55:37 pm »

I just find it odd that 30 empty big rooms is worse then 1 big room (30z tall) with a lot of empty air and only a floor at the bottom and some ramps along the one end.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 03:01:53 pm »

I just find it odd that 30 empty big rooms is worse then 1 big room (30z tall) with a lot of empty air and only a floor at the bottom and some ramps along the one end.

There seems to be some wonky behavior for pathing across z levels. Its always been that way as far as I know. It's one of the reasons we take such a massive FPS hit when the clowns get loose. They all fly and can path vertically as well as horizontally.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

It's the ramps, I don't know exactly what the deal is, but ramps just destroy FPS with pathing.  It irritates me to no end, because I'd actually like to quarry out large areas but doing so just kills the game (whole decks emptied out but with mysteriously stable floors just feels strange).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:59:26 pm »

Just remove the ramps, then.  d-z

And I never thought to wall off useless parts of the fort before.  That would help with pathfinding quite a bit.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:59 pm »

Here to confirm that blocking off old empty quarrys that you have no use for is great for FPS.
Though rather than drawbridges. Since I'll often use the first level quarry as a farmign space, and the lower floors were accessed by stair. I jsut put a hatch on the stair and forbid it. Seems to end up with teh same boost to FPS as drawbridging everything. And is better in the long run than channeling because I have more useful space with floors and ceilings to be used in the future.

Example.
I've recently been doing a "Single Pick Challenge" type fort. (ver 34, gonna wait 1 more patch before digging into 40)
After getting to the caverns, walling myself in for defense. Started mining out a large area for stone to make crafts to trade. Cleared a 50x50 area of 4z levels over the course of a year with my dorfs (got more than 1 pick after first caravan) Blocked them off for a while because they were useless. Started to run short on food and wood due to the lack of suitable growing area after my fort spiked from 22-48. So using those cleared floors, and a bit of work. I diverted an aquifer to them for a short bit to mud 3 of the levels, and leaving level 4 with all the excess water as storage for the future. 3 new 50x50 growing areas, rather than 1 I would have had with channeling. (Only ended up using about half the first layer for a number of years, but the other 2 started growing trees which are always in short supply in cavern fortresses)