Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Expansion advice  (Read 8030 times)

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion advice
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:03 pm »

Just started a town based on yours. Taking 4 sheep, a few dogs, a pick just in case, as well as 100 stone for slabs and mechanisms. Can't really get around the mechanism problem, and not using any traps or bridges could be a little more annoying than I'd like. Although, I doubt there will be any building destroyers since I won't qualify for sieges for a millenia.
I'll keep posted.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 12:45:07 am »

Just started a town based on yours. Taking 4 sheep, a few dogs, a pick just in case, as well as 100 stone for slabs and mechanisms. Can't really get around the mechanism problem, and not using any traps or bridges could be a little more annoying than I'd like. Although, I doubt there will be any building destroyers since I won't qualify for sieges for a millenia.
I'll keep posted.

Good to see another crazy guy out and about :p Unless you change the pop cap, you'll need more than 100 slabs. I'm up to 212 slabs, with one dedicated guy spending about 75% of his time digging, constructing, and engraving slabs.

I used Peahens as they give food without needing to kill them, plus they also provide good leather and don't need grazing land, should have taken dogs too :/

You could probably get away with just using wooden doors, but a bridge is always your best bet... it's also how I'm killing the migrants.

I'll be interested to hear how you go.This is actually my third attempt, as the first two died due to unfortunate incidents
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:51:18 am »

Contingency plan needed a contingency plan. Those were some seriously tactical monkeys. three of them appeared out of nowhere and hit my stockpile immediately, then they were gone.

I took sheep because of the wool. I've never sheared animals before, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to find any surface fibre plants. Luckily, I've found hemp and rope reeds, so I can afford to eat some of my delicious baby lambs once they're born. First order of business for Fall will be to build a warehouse. That or housing for the dwarves so they'll stop complaining about nature.

And I've set the pop cap to 4, same as my dwarves. I'm thrilled to see that the hardcoded migrant waves no longer come if you set the cap too low.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 02:20:20 am »

Contingency plan needed a contingency plan. Those were some seriously tactical monkeys. three of them appeared out of nowhere and hit my stockpile immediately, then they were gone.

I took sheep because of the wool. I've never sheared animals before, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to find any surface fibre plants. Luckily, I've found hemp and rope reeds, so I can afford to eat some of my delicious baby lambs once they're born. First order of business for Fall will be to build a warehouse. That or housing for the dwarves so they'll stop complaining about nature.

And I've set the pop cap to 4, same as my dwarves. I'm thrilled to see that the hardcoded migrant waves no longer come if you set the cap too low.

I found a warehouse to be low priority. First point of business should be somewhere to hide your dwarves. I made sure to have my farm as the first completed building, so if I had to hide from an attack they wouldn't starve. I didn't have a completed store until well after the wall and other buildings were made.

Good luck without that pick though! I'm considering changing my pop cap. I'm not sure why they keep on coming "despite the danger"
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:17:46 am »

Despite the danger is just a tag for "you kill a lot of dwarves." In my first long living fort (30 years) I had lost something like 250 dwarves due to various tantrum spirals and beast attacks, and was getting that message too.

Sibrek died in year 2 of infectious wounds received from those monkeys eating part of his face. I don't foresee this going very well considering how slow my progress is. Building with clay bricks is extremely slow since it occupies 2 dwarves full time to run the wood oven and the kiln. Every summer more monkeys come and take 5-6 items with them, and none of my garden vegetables can be brewed, despite having the appropriate tags in the raws.

Spoke too soon. The other male dwarf just died from monkey bites as well. Considering that leaves 2 females, I think this town was a failure.
I think 4 dwarves might be a bit too few to get a population going. They have to survive and work for a minimum of 13 years before a child born in year 1 is of working age. My dwarves rarely last that long with walls, caves, traps, and an effective military!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:25:13 am by Wumpi »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 05:21:30 pm »

Getting started is the hardest bit, and you're playing hard mode with those monkeys!

I built most of my stuff out of wood, but upgraded the houses later with clay bricks. It does really occupy the dwarves. 13 years is a long time, if only these lovers would marry and start getting it on, that'd be great!

I almost had a disaster, one of my dwarves got caught on the atom smasher bridge as it raised. Fortunately quick medical attention saved his spine

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:39 pm »

His literal spine?

I had to abandon my first try. 3 years into "wishcities" and things are going alright. No one has died, though there are a lot of Keas swarming and taking my stuff. There are 5 male dwarves, and 2 females. One of the male dwarves is homosexual, and is in a romantic relationship with one of the female dwarves, thus taking her off the market for marriage. I need to find a way to break them up.

Wishcities so far:

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »

His literal spine?

I had to abandon my first try. 3 years into "wishcities" and things are going alright. No one has died, though there are a lot of Keas swarming and taking my stuff. There are 5 male dwarves, and 2 females. One of the male dwarves is homosexual, and is in a romantic relationship with one of the female dwarves, thus taking her off the market for marriage. I need to find a way to break them up.

-snip-

Yep, some kind of spinal fracture... A couple months on crutches for the leg and he was fine though. I thought I was gonna have 2/4 dwarves on crutches.

A homosexual in a relationship? Doesn't quite make sense, but sure :/ I'm trying to find a way (even hacking) to force my lovers to marry. I believe it's some kind of bug stopping it. If not, I'll let them build the city till they all die of old age, then re-inhabit it, or maybe allow a select few dwarves in after I complete my outer wall.

What exactly am I looking at for your town? I'm used to just using the basic tile set. I'm seeing ariver with a wooden bridge? You've got some covered buildings which is great, and a breeding population of animals too. They making babies for you yet?

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »

The dogs and sheep are breeding like rabbits. I've been killing off the females to slow it down a bit, since 7 dwarves don't eat all that much.
Stone buildings are made from earthenware, and are being used for housing. The largest building is half storage barn, 1/4 dorm and dining, and 1/4 "porch" so my dwarves can train outside without being rained on.
The last building there is carpentry workstations.

From what I understand, dwarves need a lot of idle time to marry, as well as some other factors like sexuality and interest in marriage/families. I'll give my dwarves a couple years of idle time soon, and see if that changes anything.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:45 pm »

I gotta play around with stonesense some time now that it's been getting more doable with the new version.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »

The dogs and sheep are breeding like rabbits. I've been killing off the females to slow it down a bit, since 7 dwarves don't eat all that much.
Stone buildings are made from earthenware, and are being used for housing. The largest building is half storage barn, 1/4 dorm and dining, and 1/4 "porch" so my dwarves can train outside without being rained on.
The last building there is carpentry workstations.

From what I understand, dwarves need a lot of idle time to marry, as well as some other factors like sexuality and interest in marriage/families. I'll give my dwarves a couple years of idle time soon, and see if that changes anything.

I just let the meat products rot, and just keep butchering them all. It's amazing how little those guys eat and drink. I haven't brewed anything for 3 years. Looks to be coming along nicely for you.

I'm certain that there's something bugging out for the marriage. They actually did marry years ago, but then the game crashed and I lost quite a bit, including their wedding. Even putting them as no job for a season, in the same room, they didn't even talk. Just hoping that there's some way to force babies, if not I'll allow some migrants in. Just a couple, enough to start the breeding process

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 01:40:17 am »

If the only purpose of the migrants being allowed in is breeding, you could make a shed with a burrow designated in it, and assign the migrants in there, and also put a meeting zone in it. Disable all jobs on the migrants so you don't get cancellation spam. You now have a way of growing the population through breeding without compromising the integrity of the whole "starting four are Armok's chosen" thing or what have you.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:28 am »

tough luck there, dwarves mate (or not in this case I suppose) for life, once they reach lover status they will never love anyone else
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 08:23:20 am »

If the only purpose of the migrants being allowed in is breeding, you could make a shed with a burrow designated in it, and assign the migrants in there, and also put a meeting zone in it. Disable all jobs on the migrants so you don't get cancellation spam. You now have a way of growing the population through breeding without compromising the integrity of the whole "starting four are Armok's chosen" thing or what have you.

I like that idea! I'm gonna do that. It's not quite "armok's chosen" thing, or they'd be digging underground, it's more of a dwarves spent too much time around humans and rebelled against the dwarven way

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:58 pm »

I'm definitely inspired by this thread.  Sitting here at work, itching to get home so I can download DF, gen a world, and give this a try.  Maybe not quite so hard-core, though.  I think I might try a go with 10-12 dwarves.

I'm already obsessively planning my little dwarven commune in excel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7