Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marriage and Relationships  (Read 535 times)

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marriage and Relationships
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:06 am »

Currently using 40.13, with Starter Pack r1 - with dfhack disabled.

So I am only fairly new to dwarf fortress and most of my time has been spent experimenting.  This version I have been experimenting with military and relationships.  My first 10 fortresses were based mostly on military and most died to dragonfire or I figured out what I wanted to figure out.

Now the main problem I have hit is that my dwarves will get into relationships, but never marry.  Also some couples I recieve already married will produced children, however other married couples will not. 

So my current fort which I have limited to 20 dwarfs, so I can spend the time focused on a small group of dwarfs, has attracted 2 married couples.  Using Dwarf Therapist I can see; one couple seems fine both hetrosexual, the other has a homosexual in the mix so their issue seems pretty straight forward.  However both these couples arrived in the Autumn of Year 5, it is now Spring of Year 10 and 0 children have been born.  Is there any reason why both of these couples are failing to produce children?

A previous fort had a 15 dwarf limit and I had one couple arrive and they keep dropping kids no problem.  I even loaded that game up today and the couple had 2 more kids, so baby production appears to work in that and other fortresses.  I am quite baffled.

Next on my list is lovers, I have not seen a single marriage in 40.13 - from memory - and have even locked lovers in a 2x2 room with booze and food for 2 years straight.  In the current fort I even setup a couple who both had the goal of raising a family and they have been in a relationship for at least 3 years, but refuse to marry.  The fort has 4 or 5 relationships on the go at the moment, but there seems to be something blocking them from taking the final step.

I have tried not setting up bedrooms and just a single meeting hall - with the exception of married couples and nobles - to limit idling spaces.  I have tried making multiple meeting halls, so they can have multiple parties at the same time.  I have tried setting up my target couples with things they like, to make them happier.  Personally I think there is something wrong with either marriages in the current build or my version is broken somehow.  Any suggestions as to what the problem is here?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and Relationships
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:43:01 am »

There are two population caps in the d_init.txt. The normal one and the strict. I think the latter prevents pregnancies, so you will have to set the POP_CAP_STRICT (or whatever it's called) to something higher than your normal cap, say 25 if you set the other value to 20.
I'm not sure which number the population cap in the starter pack launcher sets, i guess it sets both to the same value so you will probably have to use the init editor.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:11:10 am »

There are two population caps in the d_init.txt. The normal one and the strict. I think the latter prevents pregnancies, so you will have to set the POP_CAP_STRICT (or whatever it's called) to something higher than your normal cap, say 25 if you set the other value to 20.
I'm not sure which number the population cap in the starter pack launcher sets, i guess it sets both to the same value so you will probably have to use the init editor.

Code: [Select]
[POPULATION_CAP:20]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

I loaded up a previous game with >20 dwarves and a couple had 2 children inside 2 years.  So the first, assuming carry over from previous settings, followed by a later pregnancy.  This does not seem to be the problem.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:49:40 am »

They have to have plenty of idling time to make their relationship more "formal." For that reason, it's usually my miners who get married first.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

They have to have plenty of idling time to make their relationship more "formal." For that reason, it's usually my miners who get married first.

I have spent years doing nothing, the only thing that is done semi-regularly is one season of farming pig tails, processing .... making cloths.  I even just unpause the game and walk away, come back later to unpause because of caravan and repeat.  I do not think idling time is a problem, especially if locking them in a 2x2 for 2 years does not result in them marrying.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »

So I downloaded the current client and have actually had 1 marriage occur.  There is one couple which arrived married and they have not had any children (both hetero-).  The couple that married have had 8 children.  I have 2 relationships in the works but they appear to be stuck in this everlasting lover status.

I have a few ideas as to why this might be happening, but obviously much more work needs to be done.  Yay, now I get to work on !!SCIENCE!!.

I just have this bad feeling the next patch will change how it all works...