Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Stupid or funny engravings.  (Read 12281 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Stupid or funny engravings.
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:10 am »

Just had my engraver do masterful engraving of a purring maggot on the floor, something which gives him bad thoughts. Couldnt he had done cheese or sheep, which he loves, both of which he mustve seen a lot of since they are numerous in my fort.

Further down in the same corridor another engraver made a masterful engraving of a previous battle where his wife and baby died. It worries me that he says hes ecstatic after that tbh.

Does anyone else have some engravings worth mentioning?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid or funny engravings.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:39:25 am »

I remember that during my focus on war dogs breeding, they mortally wounded lots of goblins. For some reason engravings of this events depicted exclusively as "The dog is laughing".
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:19 am »

I remember that during my focus on war dogs breeding, they mortally wounded lots of goblins. For some reason engravings of this events depicted exclusively as "The dog is laughing".

The dwarves seem to suffer from some sort of psychopathy at times tbh

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »

I think my best one was a masterful engraving of flies right at the entrance to the throne room.  Of course, the queen absolutely detested flies.  Passive aggressive midgets for the win!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:44:17 pm »

I think my best one was a masterful engraving of flies right at the entrance to the throne room.  Of course, the queen absolutely detested flies.  Passive aggressive midgets for the win!

I wonder what makes them do engravings of vermin.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:50 pm »

I had two elf skulls. What a manly dwarf!

Also, a marble-bound book called: Hauling is My Life.

I even got a memorial to a human's foot - an engraving of a giant lion mauling a man's foot. In that world, I had several statues and engravings of elves and humans being slaughtered by giant lions.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27:16 pm »

I also remember once finding an image "Urist is dead" related to his death from dehydration. That's quite morbid.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

unitled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 03:24:36 pm »

One of my Master engravers seemed to have a particular fondness for images of himself engraving masterful engravings. He covered the expedition leader's office in pictures of himself. I thought that took a... special kind of ego.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »

I've had a lot of engravings-of-someone-elses-masterfully-designed-engravings, and on a few occasions of the engraver himself engraving something. 

In the walls of my dwarfwash in Grippedurn, there were a lot of engravings of floodgates. I was told that it's a symbol of a political party...

Personally I loved the sculpture of a dwarf who had died of dehydration in the first year (An unrelated story involving several bad injuries and the only water source being infested with alligators... Almost everyone lost a limb at some point or another. I got a lot of spam like "Urist McLefty cancels give water: Interrupted by Alligator") Anyhow, I liked the sculpture, because it was done by his widowed wife, and I like to think she felt good that it was masterful, and that it was carefully positioned as a sculpture garden below the waterfall and in front of the well. "Be grateful that we know how to keep the alligators out" was only part of the beautiful message. She also made several masterful sculptures of alligators. I figured she was going through some art therapy :)

My favourite engraving, though, was of the (then) mayor surrounded by peahens. The mayor was, according to the engraving, terrified. It was in his dining room. He departed from office soon after. I looked it up: He didn't appear to hate peahens. We did, on the other hand, have them in our egg collection area. I had someone slaughter, butcher and cook the peahens, and hoped that the former mayor got some. We ate hen eggs after that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:26 pm »

Well one engraver seems to be fond of engraving a certain hydra that eats humans and elves, the same hydra each time. One mayor's office had about five of them.

Then there's the odd superiorly engraved cheese we keep having.

On a side note, anyone know how to look at statues? I put some in my aristocrats' cabins and I'm curious as to what they are.

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 09:41:20 pm »

mason/engraver just kept making mosquito engravings and statues, but absolutely detested mosquitos. If I still had the fort I would just surround his room with his own mosquito statues... and maybe block the doorway with one when he gets inside.

Or maybe set up a sacred pasture for a giant mosquito, with a gold throne. Line the halls with mosquito statues. All hail lordsquito.

edit: I always use T to look at my statues.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:52 pm »

Cheese eating dragons... nuff said.

In other news my dwarves decided to engrave the walls with wasps (look at sig) striking down dwarves with the wasp striking a superior look. The one after that was a masterfully engraved image of wasps surrounded by dwarves. the dwarves were bowing. The wasps were striking a ruling pose
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:30:50 pm »

The dwarves seem to suffer from some sort of psychopathy at times All the time tbh

FTFY
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »

Cheese eating dragons... nuff said.

Pardon me, but with the English Language being what it is... is that dragons-that-eat-cheese, or cheese-that-eats-dragons?  and... a cheese that eats a dragon would actually be pretty epic. A cheese that eats anything, I guess, would be pretty epic.

Urist McInsomnia is carving the reason she is too scared to sleep...

(edit: If you want to see the statue when it's in a furniture pile, use "k". If you want to see a statue when it's been erected, use "t")
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »

I got a kick out of one fort that adopted two forgotten beasts as its symbol after they were walled in for two years straight due to. . . two forgotten beasts.

Engaging a firebreather in melee on grass, never again.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4