Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One or two questions regarding bad thoughts about children.  (Read 1204 times)

blazing glory

One or two questions regarding bad thoughts about children.
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:33:05 pm »

1:Do bad thoughts about child deaths stack?

2:How long would it take for said bad thoughts to go away?

I'm not that new to this game but this is my first serious go at Fortress mode, half my fortress consists of children and I would rather they didn't eat all my food stores, hunting isn't going really well since nothing bigger than a badger comes around.

I'm using v0.34.11.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:34:37 pm by blazing glory »

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One or two questions regarding bad thoughts about children.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where mass child genocide is a legitimate solution to child hunger.
Anyways, as long as you have plenty of happiness features in place, most of your dwarves should recover, unless you kill off multiple from one family. Waterfalls, solid gold statues, nice personal rooms, all that good material possession stuffs. Keep in mind though that since children dwarves are lazy and hungry, they spend like 95% of their time throwing parties and making friends. You should have preparations for surviving a tantrum spiral.

Suggestions for not spiraling: Large amount of nice jail cells. Panic room stocked with basic necessities and a list of dwarves capable of continuing the fort. Preferably dwarves who have no friends or family, or "Don't care about anything." Well stocked graveyard may be helpful even if you don't spiral. Don't forget that there are negative thoughts for leaving child corpses to rot in a stockpile.

To answer your questions specifically,
1: Most other thoughts seem to stack, so I assume multiple children dying would also stack, along with "has lost a friend to tragedy" where those children were friends with adults.
2: Not entirely sure. The best bet to prevent spirals from bad thoughts is to counter them with good thoughts, rather than waiting them out.

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:29:38 pm »

Yeah....since I'm impatient I just went ahead and pulled the lever, which was stupid since this fortress isn't exactly full of luxury.

Many expected tantrums are being had, 75% of the children died (the other 25% managed to land on some stairs built into a wall.) right now the corpses are just sitting in a pit full of water.

blazing glory

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:54 pm »

Considering making a bomb shelter for my happy (or content) dwarves to keep them away from all the tantrums, after the dust settles the dwarves can crack open the door and welcome the outcast dwarves, or they can keep it shut since half of them are beserk.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:51:09 am »

There's a safe but slow way: atomsmash them one by one in a closed room. And build slabs before the ghosts rise. As there's no witness, there's zero bad thought.

There's also another solution: burrow children in a room where there's a well, some beds, but, no food. They will only go to eat when they are about to starve, thus they eat less frequent. And they drink water instead of booze(which is not a bad idea for minors), so they are going to be very slow, which makes them less efficient in making friends or attacking people in a tantrum.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21:15 am »

I'm not that new to this game but this is my first serious go at Fortress mode, half my fortress consists of children and I would rather they didn't eat all my food stores, hunting isn't going really well since nothing bigger than a badger comes around.

I'm using v0.34.11.

Ever tried contraception (aka BABY_CHILD_CAP)?
Helps to prevent tantrums, starvation and non-df people thinking that df is a game of slaughter misantropy (mis-dwarf-tropy?). ... well forget about the last one ...

Anyone else who is now imagining large advertising signs of starving dwarf children with huge letters (runes) telling: USE CHILD CAPS ?

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:52:19 am »

Ever tried contraception (aka BABY_CHILD_CAP)?
Helps to prevent tantrums, starvation and non-df people thinking that df is a game of slaughter misantropy (mis-dwarf-tropy?). ... well forget about the last one ...

Nah, too lazy to dive into the raws, also it isn't FUN if I do it like that.

Anyone else who is now imagining large advertising signs of starving dwarf children with huge letters (runes) telling: USE CHILD CAPS ?

And next to it is my bridge which is tossing children into my water pit, better than a death by starvation at least, plus everyone else doesn't have to suffer from their constant need to feed.

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:22:22 am »

Not in raws, it's in d_init, which should be the first thing you open and edit after unpacking DF anyway.

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:03 am »

Not in raws, it's in d_init, which should be the first thing you open and edit after unpacking DF anyway.

Huh, never realized that thing was around.

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:30 am »

That, and the regular init are a great way of tweaking the game to your particular preferences. I suggest read all of the comments in there to see what each option does and what options you can change. Goes a long way

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:00:26 am »

You could just mod dwarfs to be born as adults.

Sort of like 'Instant beard, just add birth.'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:14 am »

You could just mod dwarfs to be born as adults.

Sort of like 'Instant beard, just add birth.'

Nah, the extra dwarves I'd get from the grown up children would make the game too easy, plus it'd be creepy for mothers to blast out full grown adults.