Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19221 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »

OOC Thread

Spoiler: Icon Dice (click to show/hide)

Tensions have been rising in the south. Demon attacks are becoming increasingly more common, and word is that the Great Gold Wyrm has been weakening his hold on the Abyss. A week ago, Horizon, the city of wonders, and the Archmage's home, was put under siege by demonic hordes. A powerful and firey demon calling himself Skaal leads this army, and he grows more relentless by the day. The Emperor put out a call for hired mercenaries to bolster the ranks defending the city, and for whatever reason, you all have answered it, knowing full well the risks involved.
You met in a tavern one night on the way, and as you all realized you were going the same way, you decided to travel together. The next morning you were standing in front of the large, ornate stone gates of the city, with about two dozen bowmen staring you down from atop the walls, their weapons drawn and at the ready.
A voice calls out from atop the wall, and a man in gleaming gold armor steps forth, obviously some sort of captain. "Who goes there? What business have you in Horizon? The city is under siege, and... Wait, that's right... You must be the mercenaries the Commander sent word of! There sure aren't that many of you..."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:06:55 pm by AlleeCat »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:18:40 pm »

"Yeah! We're... We're here. I'm sure there will be more!"
Kyle says nodding to himself.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »

"What of that... Dragon... Thing?" He points to Alicia, "With all the Demontouched about, I don't trust anything that looks like that coming inside the walls."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

"She's fine. Well, at the very least she hasn't tried to kill me..."
Kyle pauses and thinks.
"Yeah... thing that want to kill me usually come out and do it."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:28:15 am »

"Well, we're here to help. Where do you need us?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:28:37 am »

Alicia flinched at the accusation. "Actually, s-sir, I'm a dragonhunter. W-well, training to be one. I'm human. I think. I really hope."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

"Actually, s-sir, I'm a dragonhunter. W-well, training to be one. I'm human. I think. I really hope."
"As long as the others can vouch for you, you can come inside, but my men will be keeping a close eye on you."

He turns away and gives some unintelligible shouts, as the massive stone doors of the gate push outward and then slide apart, revealing them to be about 8 feet thick.
Inside the walls, the city is a sprawling capital of beautifully carved stone and colorful decorations. Most of the city seems to be built on top of a large crevasse, with some buildings floating above it on white fluffy clouds or colorful prisms. Floating above it all is a massive obsidian spire, which is, from what you've heard, the home of the Archmage. Clouds seem to coalesce above it, making a soupy haze around its peak, and shimmering force bridges connect it to the rest of the city, with lifts running up and down the outside, seemingly nonstop.
Despite the lively surroundings, the streets are fairly deserted. A few townspeople rush here and there, seemingly in a hurry, but the hustle and bustle of a city this size seems to be missing. You might take a guess that most have been evacuated while there was still time, or worse, killed in the siege.

"Well, we're here to help. Where do you need us?"
The captain takes a lift down from his perch at the top of the wall, along with a few soldiers behind him. "We need you to prepare to defend the city for the next attack, and maybe convince some of the few wizards and sorcerers left in the city to help, as well. The demons only seem to attack in full force during the night, which is a blessing and a curse in equal parts. On one hand, we know when they're going to attack and can plan accordingly. On the other, fighting at night against creatures who fear no darkness is a horrid affair."
He reaches out a golden gauntleted hand to each of you, should you choose to shake, although Alicia he still treats with caution. "I'm Captain Sevrin Davora, Imperial Defense, Gallant Company. If you need lodgings and food, there's an inn up the main road a ways that we've turned into a makeshift barracks. Military rations aren't much, but it's really all we've got anymore. I'll call for you at sundown. Until then, you should find some way to make yourselves useful, and help reinforce the defense. Make sure you're ready before sundown. Any questions?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:01 pm »

A sound like the end of the world, fire and fury...a black lance punching through a mans breastplate from behind...a hard grey rain, over a cold dead horse...

The young person in back-a lithe, short wood elf female with long blonde hair, and very pretty dark blue eyes-steps up. She's armed with a short sword, a cross bow and a strange, skinny looking guitar-wearing a forest green cloak and vest, with ostentatious gold trim.

"I think a bit of music might rouse your mens spirits, yes? And maybe earn a few more blades. I think I'll do the stand of the Night Brigade..."

She turns to the rest.

"My name is Kat. A pleasure to meet all of you." Katoya says carefully, her expression neutral.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:29:42 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »

Alicia shook his hand, though she held it gingerly, as if she expected it to bite her.
"Why aren't the wizards and sorcerers helping anyway? S-Shouldn't the Archmage be helping?" she dared to ask.

At the wood elf's introduction, she nodded politely.
"H-hello. I'm Alicia Wyrmbane. P-please don't mind my horns and scales. They're not demontouch."

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »

"I think a bit of music might rouse your mens spirits, yes? And maybe earn a few more blades. I think I'll do the stand of the Night Brigade..."
"Ah, yes. The men at the barracks could use some entertaining; Morale's been at an all-time low lately.
"Why aren't the wizards and sorcerers helping anyway? S-Shouldn't the Archmage be helping?" she dared to ask.
Davora looks grim. "The Archmage has been helping. He's been doing all that he can, but Skraal and his army have been overwhelming us, and even the Archmage gets tired. Most of the wizards in the city have either been evacuated or killed, and the rest are doing some sort of research instead of lending us their aid. In my honest opinion, whatever research they have is less important than keeping these walls intact."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:38:44 pm by AlleeCat »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »

At the wood elf's introduction, she nodded politely.
"H-hello. I'm Alicia Wyrmbane. P-please don't mind my horns and scales. They're not demontouch."

The Wood Elf nods.

"I don't mind that. I'm pretty unique myself..." She says mysteriously.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

"Well, I'll be goin' then."
With that Kyle leaves to find something to do.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »

"May I ask where the armory and fletchers are located?"

Internally, the dwarf mused idly what the possibility of his death might be. He shook the captain's hand, however, and stayed with the rest of the group. He still hadn't introduced himself, however.

Now, he did, with surprising politeness for a dwarf speaking to an elf. He bowed, though not deeply, as he spoke.

"I am Genyori Maruko. My thanks for the honor of your acquaintance."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »

"There's no enough people for a city this size. Did the monsters get them..?" She asked the guard. The lizard on her head scampered to perch on the largest right side horn, and she absently reached up and returned him to the centre. "I'm good at hunting. Well, I'm ok. If there are forests nearby that aren't full of demons, I could try finding some better food."

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:25 pm »

"May I ask where the armory and fletchers are located?"
"Certainly. Keep walking down the main road, take the second left, and cross the force bridge over the the big stone tower with all the smokestacks. Can't miss it."

"There's no enough people for a city this size. Did the monsters get them..?"
"Most were evacuated to Axis, the capital, nearby. What was left after the first attack, that is. We have a lot of dead. A lot of grieving widows and orphaned children. The demons don't seem to care who they kill, as long as it's painful..."
"I'm good at hunting. Well, I'm ok. If there are forests nearby that aren't full of demons, I could try finding some better food."
"I really wouldn't go out there again if I were you. They tend to nest in the nearby forests at night. We tried sending some hunting parties out, but most of them never came back, and when they did, it was empty-handed. Unfortunately, the only things they seem to let leave are animals and their own kind. They don't seem to care who comes in; more fun for them, I suppose, but if anyone's gotten out of here and lived, nobody's told me about it."

With that Kyle leaves to find something to do.
You wander a while and find a few soldiers sparring in a courtyard. They seem to be fairly new and inexperienced, and a drill instructor is barking orders at them. He spots you and shouts, "You there! You look like you know your way around a fight! Get over here and show these recruits a thing or two!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22