Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Innovations! (Or: A Modest Proposal to Change Strange Moods)  (Read 27075 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Innovations! (Or: A Modest Proposal to Change Strange Moods)
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2014, 04:41:56 am »

The invention of interpersonal weapons should be hinged simply on seeing combat, as in real life.
Agreed, except that weapons also evolve from tools. Even at the most basic stage, when all you've got is Rock, if you see a mandrill trying to steal the fruit that you spent all morning gathering, you're not going to chase that mandrill with your fists, you're going to chase that mandrill with your Rock. It's not until we get to Sharp Stick that we get a tool whose only function is to hurt or kill. That's why I said that the Rock-Stick versions of weapons / tools  should be inventable by anyone since literally anyone can want to improve their ability to protect themselves (or anything else), especially if they see other dwarves doing the same thing.
Shields are slightly different, though. Right now, I've got the Shield Innovation restricted to dwarves with levels in Fighter, Ambusher, Observer, Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Wound Dresser, and Bone Doctor. So it can't be invented until there's already shown to be a need for it.

To get all technical, the tags enabling the development of weapons should be similar to:
[INSPIRE_OTHERS:DEFLECT:TEETH_ON_A_STICK:WEAPONSMITH:2:(all military skills etc...]
(i.e. a dwarf hits a sentient creature and gets frustrated with the way his blows aren't finding purchase, so he makes his murderstick more spiky)
Why should the creature have to be sentient? Your above example applies equally well when concerning a goblin in leather armor, or a rhinoceros.

On that note, I'm starting to lean against a bayonet for the crossbow, having done more research into crossbows themselves. With the exception of a very few light crossbows, all mechanisms require the crossbow to be planted on the ground bow-first in order for you to draw the string . . . It's really better just to carry around a short sword, a war hammer, or a dagger than trying to use a crossbow as a spear (Toady sidearms pls).
I'm still working with clothes & armor, but what I might do is to have light crossbows with bayonets (although a spring-loaded upgrade does look interesting), and heavy crossbows that are built in place before use, like semi-portable mini-ballistae. I already have two similar "built" Innovations, the Braced Pike and the Mantlet, and the dwarven equivalent of gun emplacements would complete the picture nicely. I don't know if Toady is planning on allowing us to go and lay siege to other people's strongholds, so these battlefield fortifications might be used more against you than by you, but even so, at least they add some variety.
Coincidentally, I added the Sidearm Innovation to my list just an hour or so before I saw your post. It allows dwarves to carry 1 or 2 backup weapons, and will automatically swap them out if the primary weapon breaks or becomes inadvisable due to range reasons.

Two words: Greek. Fire. Dwarves and primitive flamethrowers are meant to be together.
While Greek Fire does sound dwarfy, I've only heard of it as being used in naval engagements, and I'm totally eschewing all boat-related Innovations, at least until Toady gives some indication that he's willing to let the game go in that direction (indications like . . . implementing material buoyancy, for example). Petroleum isn't in the game either, and that's a good candidate for what Greek Fire might have been. I'll think about it, but it's on my back burner.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/agriculture
"The science or practice of farming, including cultivation of the soil for the growing of crops AND the rearing of animals to provide food, wool, and other products."
Well, since we're getting technical, if crop cultivation (by itself) does not equal agriculture, then cattle-tending (by itself) also does not equal agriculture. So we're both wrong . . . about a rather minor point of semantics. Ah, well. Moving on.

If, on the other hand, they live on the top of a small hill containing the only spring in a vast region of desert infested with goblins, they're gonna have to adapt to a life of constant warfare or die.
...if it's the only water, what are the goblins drinking...
As much as I love realism, I'd rather prefer that goblins keep their [NO_DRINK] and related tags, at least until Toady fixes mass pitting. I'd be happy to dump my captured goblins into a temporary dungeon, into which I drop crappy tallow biscuits and drain the fort's greywater, keeping the goblins healthy for their eventual use as training dummies . . . but not if I'm going to be forced to let each goblin get a free swing at one of my unarmored civilians. Twice.

Without enough immediate resources for both groups, both groups wouldn't be there in the first place. And without a base of operations and, again, largely stockpiled cache of food, you can't sustain an army to march far away across areas without resources in between, nor do you have any reason to, because you couldn't manage the "empire" you win.
True, but even so, I think goblins will always be goblins. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were driven to cruelty by their evil nature, or something like that.

Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure how you'd do any sort of pre-agricultural game without the ability to be nomadic which would require code changes.
Well, if we go with Skullsploder's plan of the only available Stone Age embark sites being those with caves that connect the surface to at least 1 cavern (those being the sites where the gods chose to place the proto-dwarves), then the "no real reason to stay, but you still can't leave" problem could largely be alleviated by making wild plants in the caverns grow faster than their surface counterparts. This would help to supply the dwarves with enough food, even without true cultivation, so that they needn't be forced to be nomads. You'd likely have to do more fighting in the caverns, of course, but hey, you needed a reason to invent weapons anyway.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2014, 05:05:14 am »

Two words: Greek. Fire. Dwarves and primitive flamethrowers are meant to be together.
While Greek Fire does sound dwarfy, I've only heard of it as being used in naval engagements, and I'm totally eschewing all boat-related Innovations, at least until Toady gives some indication that he's willing to let the game go in that direction (indications like . . . implementing material buoyancy, for example). Petroleum isn't in the game either, and that's a good candidate for what Greek Fire might have been. I'll think about it, but it's on my back burner.
Well, they did have little pots containing the stuff with a burning fuse attached to it. It didn't explode on contact, so you had to make sure that the pot broke so that the mixture could be exposed to the flame.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2014, 10:17:49 am »

I'll think about it, but it's on my back burner.

I genuinely hope you don't have any Greek fire on your back burner  ;)

Anyway, I'm gonna have to stop working on this actively for the next week or so, schoolwork is going to be quite heavy. If I find some time I'll add some more stuff, but everyone else please feel free to post stone-age innovations, particularly ones about the invention of metalworking and smelting because I'm a little bit stumped on those.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:14 pm »

Yeah, I'm toying with the idea of actually using the "Alchemy" skill...

I seem to recall that the Greeks also developed the first flamethrower by using a hollowed out tree trunk, one of those air-pump things and a kettle of burning coal. Then they put it on a cart and drove it up to walls to set them on fire. More of an "extremely hot air thrower" than a flamethrower, but it still counts.

Also, not really relevant to the discussion anymore, but:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but I still think that we're being carried away. All the rather excellent ideas in this thread require major overhauls to the actual game. A little too major, in my opinion.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 07:27:25 am »

I'm sorry, but I still think that we're being carried away. All the rather excellent ideas in this thread require major overhauls to the actual game. A little too major, in my opinion.

Not at all. With the raw system I proposed, all the innovations could be put in easily. I'd put it at less than 50 lines of code for innovations to be include-able in the raws, then maybe another 10 or so piggybacked onto the stealth detection/item handling code to make it so that witnessing events or using certain objects can trigger an innovation. Then it's just a matter of slogging through and adding the lists of innovations in raw form. It is definitely a major proposal, and one that will definitely do best after things like item wear and sending out new groups to embark once you're the mountainhome (planned!), but no core systems of the game would have to be overhauled for most of the suggestions in this thread.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »

Not as much as it sounds. The biggest factor is having so many reactions, and even buildings, locked away from view until the player has been granted access--a dynamic which we know that the game already supports. If your dwarves haven't found magma yet, the option to build a Magma Forge doesn't even show up. Smelters have many reactions which, if the dwarves lack the proper reagents, simply do not appear on the Smelter's menu. (They may, however, still be accessible through the Manager's screen--I should look into that.)

To be sure, I am granting myself some creative leeway here & there: A few of my Innovations do things that the game currently would have no idea how to handle, like the Braced Pike: When "built" facing a given direction, it automatically deals damage to creatures approaching at speed from the direction chosen. That could be a pain for Toady to code: Every time a (reasonably tall) creature enters the tile containing the pointy end of the pike, the game has to check where they came from, and how fast. But that's far from insurmountable, and I think the idea of stopping a cavalry charge with a wall of pikes is more than worth it, so I deemed it fit for inclusion in my list. Toady may disagree, and if he does, I'll be fine with that.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »

The braced pike thing is actually really easy. Game already checks speed and direction upon entering tiles when turning, as of the newest updates. Plus, if you got to spikes, you'd have to slow down also anyway, even if not damaged, to negotiate them. So it's mostly the same code re-used almost exactly.

I think he'd be down for that particular example too, cause he wants to make traps more multi-part and less cheaty
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »

The braced pike thing is actually really easy.
Oh. Well, then, I'll just have to annoy Toady in another way, with my suggestion of metal Codpieces as armor. That would encourage him to include the groin as an attackable region, maybe even to the extent of adding some notably absent body parts. Or my glib assurance that of course multi-z constructions could be lowered into water as 1 solid piece, and of course they'll remain watertight. (Granted, I knew Toady was planning things like moving walls, but I don't believe Dwarven Submarines were quite what he was thinking of.)

But on the plus side, I finally read the main development page last night, and was happily surprised to see that some of the things I'd planned as Innovations (like lenses, clocks, books, and automata) were already on Toady's list as well. Huzzah!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2014, 06:41:48 pm »

INNOVATIONS -- MID-LATE STAGE
Subset: War (Offensive)

Notes: Most weapons are considered to be Common Core, until a weapon of their type (Slashing, Piercing, Blunt, Ranged) has been invented. Once a weapon that deals a certain kind of damage exists, there is less impetus to create another one (unless a foreign example becomes known to the fort, and is considered worthy of adoption). The only weapons that are not Core in this sense are Wood Axes, Picks, Whips, and Scourges. While these can be used as weapons (sometimes quite effectively), they have more dedicated counterparts here, and are better suited to their own specific purposes.
Slashing Weapons: Battle Axe, Scimitar, Long Sword, Great Axe, Two-Handed Sword, Halberd
Piercing Weapons: Dagger, Short Sword, Spear, Pike
Blunt Weapons: Mace, Morningstar, Flail, War Hammer, Maul
Ranged Weapons: Bow, Light Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Blowgun

Dagger (Weaponsmith, Knife User): Requires the previous research of Crude Dagger. Produces an artifact forged metal dagger, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Stiletto (Knife User): Requires the previous research of Dagger. Produces an artifact stiletto. In future, daggers in the fort will be made much narrower than previously, but with a strong central rib, allowing them to slip through eyeslits and even penetrate chain armors rather easily.
   Short Sword (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Short Sword. Produces an artifact forged metal short sword, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Long Sword (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Long Sword. Produces an artifact forged metal long sword, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Scimitar (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Scimitar. Produces an artifact forged metal scimitar, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Two-Handed Sword (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of Short Sword or Long Sword. Produces an artifact two-handed sword, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Fuller Groove (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of any type of Sword. Produces an artifact sword of a known type (weighted towards Short or Long). Allows the thickness of a sword blade to be increased, thus making it stronger & more resistant to breakage, without adding to the weight.
   Pattern Welding (Weaponsmith, Swordsdwarf): Requires the previous research of any type of Sword, as well as Bronze or Steel. Produces an artifact Short sword of a known type (weighted towards Short or Long) made of the picked metals. Swords made in future will be manufactured in pairs, made of steel & iron (or bronze & copper) folded together, giving a hard cutting edge that's less likely to break during use. (If all 3 sword upgrades are researched, the chance that swords (made using all 3 techniques) will break during use is reduced to zero.)
   Differential Hardening (Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of any type of Sword. Swords and axes made in future will be heat-treated once to minimize irregularities in the metal, and then again to temper the blade to a harder cutting edge than the body. Naturally, this increases production time.
   Battle Axe (Weaponsmith, Axedwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Battle Axe. Produces an artifact forged metal battle axe, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Bearded Axe (Axedwarf): Requires the previous research of Battle Axe. Produces an artifact Bearded Axe. New battle axes made in the fort will have a longer cutting edge, slightly increasing the odds of a successful hit, and enabling its wielder to hook the axe over an opponent's weapon or shield--possibly ripping it out of his hand.
   Spare Blade (Axedwarf, Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of Battle Axe. Produces an artifact Double-Bitted Battle Axe, so that if one blade is damaged in combat, the wielder need only use the other side. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Double Axe.
   Great Axe (Weaponsmith, Axedwarf): Requires the previous research of Battle Axe. Produces an artifact metal great axe, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Halberd (Weaponsmith, Speardwarf): Requries the previous research of both Spear and Battle Axe. Produces an artifact metal halberd, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Spear (Weaponsmith, Speardwarf): Requires the previous research of Spear. Produces an artifact forged metal spear, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Barbed Spear (Speardwarf): Requires the previous research of Spear. Produces an artifact Barbed Spear. Future spears made in the fort will have barbed heads, so that they damage the enemy on the way out as well. Carries the minor drawback of making the spears more likely to get stuck in the wound.
   Returning Javelin (Weaponsmith, Speardwarf): Requires the previous research of Spear, or Javelins. Produces an artifact metal javelin, allows regular manufacture of same--shorter & lighter than regular Spears, and dealing less damage, but can be used with a shield more easily, and most importantly, thrown a short distance before being pulled back to the user by a cord. Can be used as a regular spear in melee. Can not be used through fortifications.
   Pike (Weaponsmith, Speardwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Pike. Produces an artifact forged metal pike, allows regular manufacture of same. Pikes are too cumbersome to be used with shields, and cannot be used in close quarters, but have the longest range of any melee weapon.
   Braced Pike (Speardwarf, Siege Engineer): Requires the previous research of Pike. Produces an artifact Braced Pike. Pikes made in future will have collapsible wood or metal stands, and the user can "build" the pike in the field, its point elevated in any set direction, making enemy charges from that direction largely self-defeating. Existing pikes can be brought to the Carpenter's or Forge to be upgraded.
   Mace (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Mace. Produces an artifact forged metal mace, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Flanged Mace (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Mace, produces an artifact Flanged Mace. New maces made in the fort will have short, broad blades (rather than knobs or spikes) protruding from the sides. On each successful hit made on plate armor, there is a chace that the blade will penetrate, and its wielder can wrench it free, using the mace to twist & tear a small hole in the armor. Repeated hits can damage the armor further, or even rip it completely away from the wearer.
   Morningstar (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Morningstar. Produces an artifact forged metal morningstar, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Tempered Spikes (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Morningstar, produces an artifact Tempered Morningstar. In future, morningstars will be made by forging longer, thinner, stronger spikes first, and then casting the rest of the weapon around them. This makes morningstars slower to make, but they penetrate armor (and deal slightly deeper wounds) more readily.
   Flail (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude Flail. Produces an artifact forged metal flail, allows regular manufacture of same.
   War Flail (Weaponsmith, Macedwarf): Requires the previous research of Flail, produces an artifact War Flail. In future, flails will be made with 3 spiked balls (not just 1), with chains of different lengths. This makes the weapon more difficult to control, but far more difficult to block. Existing flails may be brought to a Forge to be upgraded.
   War Hammer (Weaponsmith, Hammerdwarf): Requires the previous research of Crude War Hammer. Produces an artifact forged metal war hammer, allows regular manufacture of same.
   War Pick (Weaponsmith, Hammerdwarf): Requires the previous research of War Hammer, produces an artifact War Pick. All new war hammers will have a sharp, pyramidial spike on the "back" face, and if a hammerdwarf is having trouble bashing at an enemy's armor, he will use the pointy side for a better chance of penetration.
   Maul (Weaponsmith, Hammerdwarf): Requires the previous research of War Hammer or Crude War Hammer. Produces an artifact forged metal maul, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Bimetallic Construction (Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of any Blunt weapon, produces an artifact blunt weapon of any researched type. Blunt weapons are now made in pairs, using 1 bar each of two different metals: The denser metal is used for the weighted core, while the harder metal is used for the outer shell & the shaft. Also allows the use of heavy metals too soft for regular use (lead, gold, platinum) for the core bar. A steel/lead mace will have the same hardness as a pure steel one, but its mass is the average of its constituent metals.
   Bow (Bowyer, Archer): Requires the previous research of Crude Bow. Produces an artifact Bow, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Crude Crossbow (Bowyer, Archer, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of both Atlatl & Crude Bow. Produces an artifact wooden Crude Crossbow, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Crossbow (Bowyer, Archer, Marksdwarf, Mechanic, Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of either Crude Crossbow, or both Atlatl and Bow. Produces an artifact Light Crossbow, in wood or metal, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Recurve Bow (Bowyer, Carpenter, Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of Crude Bow. Produces an artifact Recurve Bow or Crossbow. Future bows & crossbows made in the fort will be strung against the natural curvature of the bow (whether it's wood or metal), making the weapon require greater strength to use, but improving its range & penetrative power. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Springs.
   Laminate Construction (Bowyer, Carpenter): Requires the previous research of Bow or Crossbow. Produces an artifact Composite Bow or Composite Light Crossbow. Future wooden bows & crossbows made in the fort will take longer to build and reload, but have improved penetrative power, due to the increased stiffness of bonding multiple layers of wood & animal horn together.
   Compound Bow (Bowyer): Requires the previous research of Bow and Block & Tackle. Produces an artifact Compound Bow or Crossbow and allows the regular manufacture of same. Compound bows use a pulley system to convert more of the bow's strength into speed, thus making its projectiles fly faster & farther.
   Bayonet (Weaponsmith, Bowyer, Marksdwarf): Requires the previous research of both Crossbow and Crude Dagger. Produces an artifact Bayonet Crossbow, by fastening any type of dagger to its business end. Existing light crossbows may be brought to the Bowyer's & upgraded. Bayonet crossbows used in melee operate on the Spear skill, rather than Hammer. Conflicts with Crossbow Stirrup.
   Crossbow Stirrup (Weaponsmith, Bowyer, Marksdwarf): Requires the previous research of Crossbow. Produces an artifact Stirrup Crossbow, which can be reloaded more quickly. Future light crossbows will be made with this upgrade, existing ones may be brought to a Weaponsmith's, Bowyer's, Blacksmith's, or Tinker's to be upgraded. Conflicts with Bayonet, but not with Ratchet Arm.
   Ratchet Arm (Bowyer, Mechanic, Marksdwarf): Requires the previous research of both Crossbow and Ratchet. Produces an artifact Ratcheting Crossbow, which can be reloaded more quickly. Existing light crossbows may brought to the Mechanic's & upgraded.
   Heavy Crossbow (Bowyer, Marksdwarf, Weaponsmith): Requires the previous research of both Crossbow and Ratchet Arm. Produces an artifact Heavy Crossbow, allows regular manufacture of same in wood or metal. Heavy crossbows cannot be fired until they are "built" in place, facing a chosen direction--the expanded metal barrel included in its construction shields the operator from fire from that direction.
   Self-Loading (Marksdwarf, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Heavy Crossbow. Produces an artifact Reloading Crossbow, which has a semi-automated magazine: it only needs to be reloaded once every 5 shots (or more often, if bolts are in stacks of less than 5). Future heavy crossbows will be made with this upgrade, existing ones may be brought to the Boyer's (even if they're made of metal) & upgraded.
   Blowgun (Bowyer, Blowgunner): Requires the previous research of Crude Blowgun. Produces an artifact Blowgun, allows regular manufacture of same.
   Siege Engineering (Bowyer, Weaponsmith, Mechanic, Marksdwarf): Requires the previous research of Heavy Crossbow. The dwarf will break down the Mechanic's and erect a Siege Workshop in its place, eventually producing an artifact Ballista, as well as activating the Siege Engineering & Siege Operator labors on himself and enabling them for everyone else. Allows regular production of Ballistae and Catapults.
   Artillery (Siege Engineer, Siege Operator): Produces an artifact Wheeled Catapult or Ballista. New catapults & ballistae made in the fort can now be pushed (by at least 3 dwarves) from place to place after being built, if of course there is a viable path to do so.
   Magma Catapult (Siege Engineer, Siege Operator): Requires the previous research of Siege Engineering and Magma. The dwarf dismantles the Magma Forge and builds a Magma Catapult in its place, allowing the regular construction of more. These operate just like regular Catapults except that they must be situated over a good supply of magma (each shot lowers the level by 1/7th, just like a Well), and, of course, they shoot globs of molten rock. Beware of splashes! Can be toggled back & forth between firing stones or magma at any time.
   Calisthenics (Military Tactics, Discipline): Allows the manufacture of Weight Benches, and the designation of rooms as Gymnasiums from same. Active, Dutiful, or Achievement-striving dwarves will Exercise there on their free time (and squads can be scheduled to), improving their strength, toughness, stamina, and kinesthetic & spatial senses. Dwarves will also practice Swimming if the Gymnasium includes a safe place to do so.
    Sports (Military Tactics, Discipline): Militia squads can now engage in mock battles: If 2 or more squads are scheduled for Sports during the same month, and assigned to the same Arena (a new area designation, available to Weapon Racks, Armor Stands, & Statues) during that month, then they will stage a Mock Battle at some time in that month, using wooden weapons (if available) under the eye of the fort's Militia Commander, who acts as referee and determines the winner. If the conditions for a true mock battle are not met, squads will engage in other forms of sport (usually wrestling, or Dodgeball if it's been researched) on their own, either in the Arena or in their regular barracks.
   Battle Formations (Military Tactician, Discipline): Military dwarves will not move from their stationed area to attack an enemy, unless that enemy attacks them first from a distance. Marksdwarves will not advance on an enemy until any Speardwarves in their squad do, and they in turn are waiting for the melee dwarves with shields to take the first step.
   Squad Unity (Military Tactician, Discipline): Military squads who train together will try to take their breaks at the same time: If one dwarf has to go Drink, another dwarf (who sees them leave) will Drink as well, even though they might not even be thirsty. After a period of time, the entire squad should all go Eat, Drink, Sleep, and On Break more or less simultaneously. Additionally, military dwarves will not move to attack an enemy unless at least 75% of the squad is present, or unless they themselves are already under attack.
   Divide & Conquer (Military Tactician, Discipline): In the future, dwarves in combat will prefer to attack targets that another dwarf is already attacking, unless they themselves are already under attack from a different enemy.
   Sidearm (any military except Wrestler, Striker, Kicker & Biter): Militiadwarves may now carry two or even three weapons, and will switch to a backup weapon if their primary breaks or becomes inadvisable due to range reasons.
   Volley (Military Tactician, Discipline, Marksdwarf): In future, dwarves armed with ranged weapons will try to target the same enemy (1 target per squad) and fire simultaneously, making it very difficult for the victim to dodge or block all of the shots.
   Incendiary Shot (Marksdwarf, Archer, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Crude Bow and Alchemy. Produces a stack of Incendiary Bolts or Arrows, and allows the regular manufacture of same, where the Alchemist takes regular missiles and coats the business end in refined pitch. The resulting missiles are less accurate (due to the changed mass & balance) than previously, but if set alight at a Brazier (etc.) before firing, they have a good chance of setting alight the victim's clothing, or starting a grass fire.
   Poisoned Shot (Blowgunner, Herbalist, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Crude Blowgun. Produces a stack of Poisoned Darts, and allows the regular manufacture of same. The poison could have varying effects, depending on the actual botanical or chemical sources present on-site (or imported). Not recommended for dwarves, this seems a far too goblin technology, but then again those poor blowgunners need all the damn help they can get.
   Lethal Blows (Military Tactician, Discipline, all melee combat skills): In future, dwarves in combat will try to focus on attacking an opponent's head, neck, and (if they have a stabbing weapon) upper body, with the goal of killing them outright as quickly as possible. If multiple "Blows" strategies have been researched, Lethal Blows comes first in the order of preference.
   Crippling Blows (Military Tactician, Discipline, all melee combat skills except Knife User, Speardwarf, and Biter): In future, dwarves in combat will try to focus on attacking an opponent's upper arms & upper legs, with the goal of breaking (or otherwise rendering useless) all 4 limbs. Once the opponent is essentially neutralized, the dwarf will look around for enemies that still pose a threat, and will prefer to target them instead. If multiple "Blows" strategies have been researched, Crippling Blows comes second in the order of preference.
   Stunning Blows (Military Tactician, Discipline, all melee combat skills except Knife User, Speardwarf, and Biter): In future, dwarves in combat will try to focus on attacking an opponent's head, with the goal of knocking them unconscious, if not killing them. Once the opponent is essentially neutralized, the dwarf will look around for enemies that still pose a threat, and will prefer to target them instead. If multiple "Blows" strategies have been researched, Stunning Blows comes last in the order of preference, and is not used at all against Hydras (though it is still relatively effective against Ettins).
   Hostages (Military Tactician, Discipline): Requires the previous research of Stunning Blows or Crippling Blows. Certain enemy leaders might be worth keeping alive as bargaining chips, or at least a ransom. Militia squads can now be given an order to Capture individual enemies: They will attempt to first incapacitate said enemy, then disarm him, and finally haul him to the nearest loaded Cage Trap or unoccupied Prison cell. Orders to Capture a specific enemy take precedence over an "area kill" order, but a command to kill that specific creature will override the Capture order. (Of course, the dwarves in their battle-frenzy might kill the enemy anyway.)
   Murder Holes (Architect, Military Tactician, Discipline): Produces an artifact Murder Hole, which is a Hatch with an arrow slit. New hatches made in the fort will automatically be murder holes, and existing ones may be upgraded & rebuilt. Marksdwarves standing atop or adjacent to a murder hole can see enemies through the slit, and fire upon them while remaining almost completely invulnerable themselves. Can also be designated as a modified Pit zone for mass pitting rocks and other objects onto the enemy (civilians who open the hatch & are Interrupted by seeing an enemy will drop their loads--through the hatch), although this can backfire in the presence of flying enemies.
   Combat Training (Animal Trainer, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of (1 of Draft Training/Hunting Training), Helmet, Chain Mail, Mask, and Cosmetics. The dwarf makes three leather masks that look like goblin faces, and colors them green to complete the effect. He then recruits two helpers (Animal Trainers preferred), and they go Pickup Equipment: Mail armor over their regular clothes, then goblinmake clothing, armor, and weapons (especially whips & scourges) over that, and finally the goblin masks. Then, imitating goblins, they go attack any penned animals that seem halfway-capable of taking on a goblin. They will usually only lightly strike the target, or strike with the flat of the blade, but they will hurt each animal at least once, to get it mad, and will outright kill the weakest animal in the pen if the others don't seem to be taking it seriously. Once the Trainers start to fear the fight might turn against them, they flee to safety, and the more aggressive animals are now considered half-trained, and will attack goblins of their own accord. The "Train War Animal" job is now opened up: If queued in a Kennel located in a pen/pasture with 100% untrained animals, a trio of Animal Trainers will imitate goblins again. But if at least one animal in the surrounding pasture is at least half-trained for War, the Animal Trainers will bring a real, live goblin (if available) instead.
   Weapon Trap (Mechanic, Military Tactician): Requires the previous research of Mechanics and Springs. Produces an artifact Giant Axe Blade, Spiked Ball, or Menacing Spike. Allows the placement of Weapon Traps, with certain requirements: Menacing spikes and spears may function exactly as existing weapon traps currently do (springing up from the trapped floor tile), except that the tile 1 z-level below is also involved, as the tile from where the spear/spike must be pulled back down and re-cocked before it can fire again. Spiked Ball traps (requires the previous research of Ratchet, Treadmill, or Block & Tackle) are stored above their impact point (variable z-levels), concealed above a false ceiling, and sprung to fire downwards even faster than gravity alone would pull them. Giant Axe Blades are stored cocked on one tile, then when fired they must pass through a fortification, hit on one or more impact tiles, then another fortification, and finally to their stop tile, where they must be re-cocked before they can fire again, heading back to their starting point. Giant axe blade traps require one additional spring & one additional mechanism for every impact tile beyond the first. Serrated Discs work in exactly the same way as axe blades, except that Power must also be supplied to the path's endpoints. Catapults and Ballistae can also be triggered by pressure plates, although they must still be manually reloaded. Giant Corkscrews are right out.

Future Innovations under consideration for this subset include Battering Ram, Siege Ram, Siege Tower, Artillery (Catapults & Ballistae become mobile), War Chariot (2 Heavy Crossbows mounted on a Wagon, with armored draft animals), and Greek Fire (under another name, obviously).

I'm not really happy with the way that the Bow -> Crossbow -> Ballista progression is so linear, but that's really the only way that seems natural to me . . . I just can't see going from something like the strictly antipersonnel gastraphetes to a full-sized siege weapon without a lot of adaptation in between.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:04:18 am by SixOfSpades »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2014, 06:42:42 pm »

Subset: Clothing, War (Defensive), and Medical

Notes: All garment Innovations require the previous research of either Tanning or Weaving. All clothes are also Common Core, unless a garment for that part of the body and layer attribute is already known: If everybody's barefoot, somebody will invent shoes--but once one type of shoe exists, there's little need for a second . . . although there's still some motivation to develop the sock. Depending on the climate and other factors, certain garments might be more or less likely to be invented, to meet the conditions: Regions with high winds and blowing sand or snow might pressure the development of hoods, veils, or headscarves. Dwarves in Hot or Scorching climates might not bother with layers, being perfectly content with just their Shirts, Loincloths, and other "Under" garments. All of the clothing Innovations produce an artifact garment of the given type, and allow regular manufacture of that garment, usually in both cloth and leather. (If you have both Weaving and Tanning researched, that is.)

Shirt (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, and upper & lower arms.
   Tunic (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, groin, and upper legs.
   Dress (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, groin, upper arms, and upper legs.
   Coat (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, and upper & lower arms. Known as a jerkin when made of leather.
   Toga (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, groin, and upper legs.
   Vest (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the upper & lower body.
   Robe (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, groin, upper & lower arms, and upper & lower legs.
   Cloak (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Cover layer garment that covers the entire body, except possibly the face.
   Cape (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Cover layer garment that covers the upper & lower body, groin, upper & lower arms, and upper legs.
   Gloves (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the hands. Paired left & right.
   Mittens (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Cover layer garment that covers the hands. Paired.
   Mask (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the face. Cannot be worn without a Cap, Headscarf, Turban, or Hood.
   Face Veil (Weaver, Clothier): Under layer garment that covers the lower 2/3rds of the face.
   Cap (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the head.
   Head Veil (Weaver, Clothier): Over layer garment that covers the head, face, and neck.
   Headscarf (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the head and neck.
   Hood (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Cover layer garment that covers the head and neck.
   Turban (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Cover layer garment that covers the head.
   Thong (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the groin.
   Loincloth (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the groin.
   Braies (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the groin and upper legs.
   Leggings (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Under layer garment that covers the groin, legs, and feet.
   Pants (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the groin and upper & lower legs.
   Short Skirt (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the groin.
   Skirt (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the groin and upper legs.
   Long Skirt (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the groin and uper & lower legs.
   Socks (Weaver, Clothier): Under layer garment that covers the feet. Paired.
   Shoes (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the feet. Paired. Not considered [Shaped] when made of relatively soft leather.
   Sandals (Weaver, Tanner, Clothier, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the feet. Paired.
   Low Boots (Tanner, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the feet. Paired. Not considered [Shaped] when made of relatively soft leather.
   High Boots (Tanner, Leatherworker): Over layer garment that covers the lower legs and feet. Paired. Not considered [Shaped] when made of relatively soft leather.
   Boiled Leather (Tanner, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of Unhairing and at least one valid garment: Coat, Vest, Mask, Cap, Low Boots, or High Boots. Produces an artifact Leather Armor piece of the appropriate type (Breastplate, Mask, Cap, Low Boots, or High Boots), and allows the research of Leather Armor items whose clothing counterparts are not yet known. All Hard Leather items are tagged as [Shaped], [Hard], [Layer:Armor], [Armorlevel:1], [Structural_Elasticity_Tough_Leather], and possibly [Metal_Armor_Levels] as appropriate. Some pieces of Leather Armor (like the Breastplate and Leather Cap) are a single, semi-rigid unit, while others (lie the Skirts) are hard leather plates sewn onto a flexible leather backing. The Innovation of Boiled Leather allows the regular manufacture of all pieces of Leather Armor whose cloth or soft-leather versions either have been researched, or ever become researched. The reverse is also true: If a Leatherworker invents an armored Long Skirt, the soft Long Skirt is also made available. Only hides, not pelts or furs, can be boiled, and of course the skins of some animals are too thin & delicate to be used for armor at all.
   Leather Helm (any military, Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Bone Setter, Wound Dresser): Requires the previous research of Boiled Leather. Armor1 that covers the head. Not tied to any soft garment, must be researched on its own.
   Leather Cap (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the head. Tied to the Cap Innovation.
   Mask (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the face. Tied to the Mask Innovation. Cannot be worn without a Leather Cap or Helm (either leather or metal).
   Breastplate (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the upper and lower body. Tied to both the Coat and Vest Innovations.
   Bracers (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the lower arms, and prevents Archers from chafing themselves with their bowstrings. Paired. Not tied to any soft garment, must be researched on its own.
   Tough Gloves (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the hands. Paired left & right. Tied to the Gloves Innovation.
   Tough Mittens (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the hands. Paired left & right. Tied to the Mittens Innovation.
   Skirt (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the upper legs. Tied to the Skirt Innovation.
   Long Skirt (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the upper & lower legs. Tied to the Long Skirt Innovation.
   Shoes (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the feet. Paired. Tied to the Shoes Innovation.
   Low Boots (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the feet. Paired. Tied to the Low Boots Innovation.
   High Boots (Tanner, Leatherworker): Armor1 that covers the lower legs and feet. Paired. Tied to the High Boots Innovation.
   Crude Shield (any military, Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Bone Setter, Wound Dresser): Produces a wooden or leather Shield (the latter requires the previous research of Boiled Leather), activates the labor of either Carpentry or Leatherworking on the dwarf, and allows the regular production of wood & leather shields (again, pending Boiled Leather).
   Crossply Construction (Carpentry, Armorsmith): Requires the previous research of Crude Shield and Sawmill, produces an artifact wooden Shield or Crude Shield. Future wood-based shields made in the fort will use multiple plies of wood, with the grain oriented in different directions, making the shield far more resistant to being split in combat.
   Studding (Tinker, Leatherworker, Armorsmith): Requires the previous research of both Smelting, and either Crude Shield, or at least 1 item of Leather armor. Produces a Studded example of the item in question, and allows the Tinker to stud with metal any researched type of Leather armor or crude shield. While the studding is mainly decorative, it does serve some minor purpose: Studded Gloves, Mittens, Boots, & Crude Shields are a bit more likely to bruise and break bone, and studding added near the edges of armor pieces make slashing weapons slightly more likely to stay on that armor, rather than slide off and hit another body part that might not be protected.
   Shield A (Armorsmith, Carpenter, any military): Requires the previous research of both Crude Shield and Forge. Produces an artifact round Shield, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Shields are still made largely of wood, but with a metal outer skin and solid metal rims & central boss. All-metal shields are also possible.
   Shield B, C, D (Armorsmith, Carpenter, any military): Exactly the same as Shield A, except that the shield is described as rectangular, not round. As many variations as you like: Oval, elongated triangle, kite, lenticular, bat with spread wings, etc. The differences are mainly just for flavor, but minor variations in weight, area of protection, shieldbash ability, and blocking chance could also add some functional meaning. Researching any shape of Shield locks out all of the others . . . possibly even to the extent of not being able to copy foreign-made shields that wind up in the fort.
   Tower Shield (Armorsmith, Carpenter, any military): Requires the previous research of Shield. Produces an artifact Tower Shield, which is large enough to cover an entire (crouching) dwarf all at once. Cannot be used to shieldbash, but has increased blocking chance--although the experience gained from blocking is divided between Shield User and Dodger. Cannot be made solely of metal, except for aluminum and candy.
   Buckler (Armorsmith, Carpenter, any military): Requires the previous research of Crude Shield. Produces an artifact Buckler, which is strapped to the lower arm rather than being held in the hand, meaning it can be used by those wielding awkward two-handed weapons like pikes. Increased protection is minimal, and shieldbash damage is nearly nonexisent, but at least it's something.
   Bladed Shield (Shield User, Armorsmith): Requires the previous research of Shield. Produces an artifact metal Bladed Shield, with the edges (or at least parts of them) hammered into a somewhat dull but still effective cutting edge. While unlikely to cut through mail armors, it is still possible, depending on the relative materials. Future metal shields will be made with this upgrade, existing ones may be brought to the Armorsmith's to be upgraded.
   Spiked Shield (Shield User, Armorsmith): Requires the previous research of Shield. Produces an artifact Shield, with a small but businesslike spike on the central shield boss. In addition to shieldbash damage, if the dwarf using this shield makes a successful charge on an enemy, or withstands such a charge made by an enemy, the opponent may be gored by the spike. Future shields will be made with this upgrade, existing ones may be brought to the Armorsmith's to be upgraded.
   Ring Mail (Armor User, Armorsmith, Tinker, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of both Forge and any valid garment (Shirt, Tunic, Dress, Coat, Toga, Vest, Robe, Gloves, Mittens, Head Veil, Headscarf, Hood, Leggings, Pants, Skirt, Long Skirt, or Socks). Creates an artifact Ring Mail version of that garment, starting at a Leather Works and moving to the nearest Forge. Allows regular manufacture of Ring-Mail versions of already-known valid garments. Ring mail is metal rings (non-interlocking) sewn directly onto a leather backing. Good protection against slashing weapons, but only slightly effective against blunt or piercing, and largely useless against missiles.
   Chain Mail (Armor User, Armorsmith, Tinker): Requires the previous research of both Forge and any valid garment. Creates an artifact Chain Mail version of that garment, allows regular manufacture of Chain Mail versions of researched valid garments. Excellent against slashing weapons, pretty good against piercing or missle, ineffective against blunt.
   Scale Armor (Armor User, Armorsmith, Tinker, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of both Forge and any valid garment. Creates an artifact Scale Armor version of that garment, starting at a Leather Works and moving to the nearest Forge. Allows regular manufacture of Scale Armor versions of already-known valid garments. Scale armor consists of many small metal plates sewn onto a leather backing at the top, but left relatively free at the bottom, as each plate overlaps the ones below it. Better than chain mail in almost all respects, but virtually useless against piercing weapons used in an upward stabbing motion.
   Scale Mail (Armor User, Armorsmith, Tinker): Requires the previous research of both Scale Armor and Chain Mail. Creates an artifact Scale Mail version of that garment, allows regular manufacture of Scale Mail versions of already-known valid garments. Scale Mail is many small overlapping metal plates, fastened to a full garment of regular chain mail. By far the best flexible protection, but extremely time-consuming to produce.
   Mail Shirt: Armor2 that covers the upper & lower body, and upper & lower arms. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale) and (1 of Shirt/Tunic/Dress/Coat/Toga/Vest/Robe).
   Mail Gauntlets: Armor2 that covers the hands. Paired left & right. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale) and (1 of Gloves/Mittens).
   Mesh Helm: Armor2 that covers the head & face--the lower part of the wearer's face is obscured by a net of chain mail, suspended between the cheekplates & noseguard of the helmet. This helps protect the wearer's face from slashing weapons, but does little else. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Chain Mail, Face Veil, and (1 of Helmet/Leather Helm).
   Coif: Armor2 that covers the head and neck--no substitute for a Helmet, but an excellent complement to it. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Head Veil/Headscarf/Hood) and (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale).
   Mail Leggings: Armor2 that covers the groin and upper legs. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale) and (1 of Leggings/Pants).
   Mail Skirt: Armor2 that covers the groin and upper & lower legs. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale) and (1 of Skirt/Long Skirt). Inadvisable for Kickers and especially Wrestlers, due to the obvious weak spot of attacking from below the skirt.
   Chausses: Armor2 that covers the feet & lower legs. Can be made as any Mail armor type. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both (1 of Ring/Chain/Scale) and Socks.
   Helmet A (any military, Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Bone Setter, Wound Dresser): Requires the previous research of both Forge and (1 of Cap/Leather Helm). Produces an artifact Helmet and allows the regular manufacture of same, Armor3 that covers the head.
   Helmet B, C, D: Just as with Shields, separate Innovations that are mutually exclusive, producing helmets that are functionally largely identical, but whose cosmetic variations allow for increased flavor. Helmets that cover the face would not allow the wearing of Masks or Visors--the research of Mask should probably lock out these particular helmets, and vice versa.
   Visor: Armor3 that covers the face. Cannot be worn without a helmet. Can be opened without removing the helmet, with a catch that is usually hidden, to prevent its discovery and use by the enemy during combat. Often made in the likeness of the intended wearer, and so warriors will become Attached to such visors--friends and family can even become Attached on the warrior's behalf if the user dies, insisting that he/she be buried wearing it. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both Helmet and Mask.
   Breastplate (any military, Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Bone Setter, Wound Dresser): Requires the previous research of both Forge and (1 of Shirt/Tunic/Dress/Coat/Toga/Vest/Robe). Produces an artifact Breastplate and allows the regular manufacture of same, Plate Armor3 that covers the upper & lower body. On breastplates chosen for decoration, the first decoration should always be the symbol of your native civilization.
   Gorget (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of both Breastplate and Helmet. Produces an artifact Gorget, which is a plate Armor3 covering for the neck, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Pauldron (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of both Breastplate and Helmet. Produces artifact Pauldrons, plate Armor3 coverings for the upper arm. Cannot be worn without torso armor (leather, chain, or plate), to which they're attached. Allows the regular manufacture of same. Paired left & right.
   Cuisse (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of Breastplate, Helmet, and (1 of Pants/Leggings). Produces artifact Cuisses, plate Armor3 coverings for the upper leg. Cannot be worn without a breastplate, to which they're attached. Cannot be worn with any type of armored long skirt. Allows the regular manufacture of same. Paired left & right.
   Faulds (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of Breastplate, Helmet, and any type of Skirt. Produces an artifact Faulds, a plate Armor3 short skirt, (partially) covering the groin and upper leg. Cannot be worn without a breastplate, to which it's attached. Allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Codpiece (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of Breastplate, Helmet, and (1 of Pants/Leggings/Braies). Produces an artifact Codpiece, a plate Armor3 covering for the groin. Cannot be worn without a breastplate, to which it's attached. Cannot be worn with any type of armored long skirt. Allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Greaves (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Plate Armor3 coverings for the lower legs. Cannot be worn with High Boots, but they can with Low Boots and any type of mail leggings. Paired. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Breastplate, Helmet, and (1 of Pants/Leggings/High Boots).
   High Boots (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Plate Armor3 coverings for the lower legs and feet. Paired. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Breastplate, Helmet, and High Boots.
   Low Boots (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Plate Armor3 coverings for the feet. Paired. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Breastplate, Helmet, and Low Boots.
   Vambrace (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Plate Armor3 coverings for the lower arms. Paired. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Breastplate, Helmet, and Bracers.
   Gauntlet A (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Plate Armor3 coverings for the hands. Paired left & right. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of Breastplate, Helmet, and (1 of Gloves/Mittens).
   Gauntlet B: Identical to Gauntlet A, but is an Innovation, and the gauntlet protects the lower arm as well as the hand. Blocked by the previous research of Bracers/Vambrace, and vice versa.
   Aventail (Armorsmith, Armor User, Shield User): Requires the previous research of Helmet and Chain Mail, blocked by the research of (1 of Head Veil/Headscarf/Hood/Gorget). Produces an artifact Aventail Helmet, which is a helmet with an attached chain (or scale) mail sleeve protecting the neck. Future helmets made in the fort will include aventails, until/unless the research of Gorget.
   Spiked Helm (Armorsmith, Armor User): Requires the previous research of Helmet. Produces an artifact Spiked Helm, which features a tall spike on the crown of the helm, and a ring of smaller ones around the brow. In addition to making the wearer look more menacing, this can cause incidental damage to an enemy when charging or wrestling. Future helmets made in the fort will be Spiked. Prevents the user from wearing a Hood or Cloak. May be blocked by certain Helmet types that have a spike to begin with.
   Spiked Armor (Armorsmith, Armor User): Requires the previous research of both Breastplate and (1 of Pauldron/Vambrace/Gauntlets/Low Boots/High Boots). Produces a pair of artifact Spiked variants of the items in question, and all of these (researched) items will be made with this upgrade in future. Similar to Spiked Helm, adds short but sharp spikes to a dwarf's shoulders, elbows, knees, and toes, with similar uses and outcomes. Prevents the user from wearing a Cape or Cloak.
   Lobstered Gauntlet (Armorsmith, Armor User): Requires the previous research of Gauntlet (A or B). Produces a pair of artifact Lobstered Gauntlets, which are hinged to bend with the wearer's digits, and thus offer much better protection to the palm of the hand than the old style: a rigid spheroid left open on one side. Future gauntlets made in the fort will include this upgrade.
   Reinforced Plates (Armorsmith, Armor User): Requires the previous research of at least 1 form of appropriate Plate armor. Produces an artifact Reinforced piece of researched armor. Future Plate armor will be made with a skeleton of metal rods, welded underneath the metal skin at regular intervals, to limit the opening that a Slashing weapon can cut, and also to better disperse Blunt impacts.
   Shaped Plates (Armor User, Armorsmith): Requires the previous research of at least 1 form of appropriate Plate armor. Produces an artifact Shaped piece of researched armor. Future Plate armors will be smoothly contoured, with convex curves wherever possible, to make incoming blows more likely to be deflected and glance aside. Shields, scale armor, & scale mail, however, will all be made with concave plates in future, helping to guide piercing or missile weapons more firmly onto the plates, where they can do the least amount of harm.
   Armor Padding (Clothier, Leatherworker, Armor User): Requires the previous research of Cushion and at least one type of metal-based armor (Chain Mail, Scale Mail, or Plate). Produces an artifact piece of Padded Armor, of a type similar to those garments already researched. Padded armor is many-layered cloth/leather garments to be worn underneath armor, helping to prevent armor chafe, and more importantly slow all blows that manage to penetrate the armor itself, and cushion the impact of blunt weapons.
   Padded Coif: Armor1 that covers the head and neck. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both Armor Padding and (1 of Head Veil/Headscarf/Hood).
   Padded Shirt: Armor1 that covers the upper & lower body, and upper & lower arms. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both Armor Padding and (1 of Shirt/Tunic/Dress/Coat/Toga/Vest/Robe).
   Padded Skirt: Armor1 that covers the groin, and upper & lower legs. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both Armor Padding and (1 of Skirt/Long Skirt).
   Padded Leggings: Armor1 that covers the groin, and upper & lower legs. Not an Innovation, automatically becomes available upon the research of both Armor Padding and (1 of Leggings/Pants).
   Mantlet (Siege Engineer, Marksdwarf, Archer, Blowgunner): Requires the previous research of any Ranged weapon. Produces an artifact Mantlet, which is a small wooden wall with an arrow-slit in it. The mantlet has a pair of supporting struts, and spikes on the bottom, so the user can "build" it in the field, pointed in any set direction, and fire through it while largely immune to any attacks from that direction. When not "built", the mantlet acts as a huge tower shield, cumbersome to carry, and generally inadvisable unless under heavy missile fire.
   Animal Armor (Animal Trainer, Armorsmith, Military Tactician): Requires at least one half-trained War Animal, as well as the previous research of Combat Training, Helmet, and (1 of Chain Mail/Scale armor). Produces an artifact Dog Helmet or Bear Helmet (other animals possible, not sure of exact list), and allows the regular manufacture of same, plus chainmail body armor for the same types of animals.
   Cage Trap (Ambusher, Mechanic, Military Tactician): Requires the previous research of Springs and Trapdoor. Produces an artifact Cage, allows the regular manufacture of same, and allows the designation of Cage Traps. Upon being triggered by an enemy or large animal, the floor of the trapped tile will drop away, then spring and lock back into place--giving just enough time to let the creature(s) on the tile to fall into a waiting Cage. A second trap placed below the cage detects the impact, and slides shut & locks the cage's roof. The Cage Trap occupies three spaces: The trapped tile, the cage tile 1 z-level below, and an open tile directly adjacent to the cage, from where the trap is emptied & reloaded.

Anaesthesia (Diagnostician, Herbalist): Through trial and error, the medical dwarves notice that pain seems to hamper the process of healing, and that a patient in pain can impede the practice of medicine itself. In future, moderate to major medical treatments will begin by "force"-feeding the patient strong booze to induce intoxication, while minor procedures will have the patient chew willow bark (if available), which has a mild analgesic effect.
   Herbal Medicine (Herbalist, Diagnostician): Opens up the "Mix healing herbs" job, for Threshers to perform at a Farmer's Workshop, producing small cloth bags of finely minced (or powdered), dried local herbs. In future, these bags will be soaked in water and applied as a poultice underneath bandages to speed healing. In addition, idle dwarves with high enough Trust & Dutifulness (and/or Discipline) will occasionally stop by the workshop to "Drink herbal tea", slightly increasing their Stamina, Toughness, and Disease Resistance. This does not actually quench their thirst, however, so they will probably go for a real Drink immediately afterwards, to wash away the taste. Dwarves caring for the injured will also brew tea at the workshop before bringing it to their patients.
   Splinting (Diagnostician, Wound Dresser): On the hunch that movement is bad for healing, the moody medical dwarf ties an injured dwarf to a bed, rendering the patient completely immobile. After the patient heals, the next patient with a broken limb will cause the doctor to continue the Inspiration, producing a Splint and using it on the patient, also opening up the regular production of splints. Upon the second patient's recovery, the doctor reclaims the splint and decorates it, turning it into an artifact.
   Suturing (Diagnostician, Clothier, Leatherworker): What works on cloth & leather might work on skin . . . couldn't hurt to try, at least. Unlocks the Suturing labor.
   Wheelchair (Crutch-Walker, Diagnostician, Carpenter, Blacksmith): Requires the previous research of Wheelbarrow. Can only be prompted by feeling sympathy for (or being) a dwarf with severely crippled walking ability. Produces an artifact Wheelchair and allows the regular production of same--the artifact will be claimed by the dwarf who caused the Inspiration (if possible). Wheelchairs grant close to normal movement rate on smooth floors & roads, but have trouble navigating obstacles like grass, mud & sand, require the help of an able-bodied dwarf to go up/down ramps, and cannot handle stairs at all. The dwarf can abandon the wheelchair and hobble/crawl if necessary, but detests having to do so.
   Antibiotics (Diagnostician, Wound Dresser, Herbalist): If purring maggots have been collected, produces an artifact Hive in which the maggots can live. If Vinting has been researched, produces a vial of boiled wine. Future wounds are doused with wine or spirits (not beer) to cleanse them before any actual medical treatment, wounds that become infected anyway may have maggots deliberately applied to eat the dead tissue. (If purring maggots are unavailable, surface maggots will be used instead.) This technology is undiscoverable by any dwarf who detests purring maggots/flies, respectively. This technology becomes Common Core after the purchase / creation of any golden salve.
   Internal Medicine (Diagnostician, Butcher): Requires the previous research of Suturing. After seeing a certain number of deep wounds or compound fractures, the dwarves realize that "skin-deep" medicine frequently just won't do, and invent the concept of deliberately causing wounds in order to repair organs and bones from the inside. Unlocks the labors of Bone Setting & Surgery.
   Dissection (Diagnostician, Butcher): Requires the previous research of Internal Medicine, and the position of Chief Medical Dwarf. The dwarves decide that somebody should learn what organs do. In future, whenever an animal is butchered, the CMD will probably claim a random organ and dissect it. This renders the organ useless, but increases the CMD's powers of analysis. Unlocks the labors of Animal Dissection & Fish Dissection (yeah, as if). The organ will automatically be marked for Dumping after the dissection is complete. (Should dissecting goblins be possible? It's not eating a sentient kill, so . . . ?)
    Waxed Stitches (Clothier): Requires the previous research of Beekeeping. By running the thread through some beeswax prior to stitching, sutures can be made smoother & closer, with minimal tissue tearing--speeding the healing process, and bring the rate of threadborne infection down close to zero. (Sutures made with silk were smooth already, but could still benefit from the reduced infection rate.)
   Limb Casting (Diagnostician, Bone Setter, Wound Dresser, Mason): Requires the previous research of both Splinting and Plaster. The Inspired dwarf seeks an improvement on the Splint--one that can wrap completely around a limb without impairing blood flow, and then be safely removed weeks later. After some experimentation, soaking bandage cloths in plaster produces a true plaster cast.
   Medical Experiments (Diagnostician, Butcher, any military): Requires the previous research of Internal Medicine. The moody dwarf recruits 2 others to join him, and together they free a single goblin from captivity--before beating it senseless. The goblin wakes up strapped to a hospital bed, and is told that the best way to learn how to set a broken bone . . . is to have a real broken bone to practice on. The goblin is alternately healed and injured, in random ways, until a lucky(?) hit finally kills it. After the goblin's first healing cycle (which ends the Inspired dwarf's Mood state), the Chief Medical Dwarf can nominate another goblin for medical experiments at any time.
   Traction (Diagnostician, Bone Setter): Requires the previous research of both Splinting and Internal Medicine. The doctor notices that broken limbs tend to heal shorter than their counterparts, and develops a method of applying adjustable levels of tension. Produces an artifact Traction Bench & enables the regular manufacture of more.
   Physical Therapy (Bone Setter, Crutch-Walker): Dwarves with high Altruism (particularly if they have the Feed Patients labor enabled) will voluntarily assist dwarves recently released from a hospital, speeding recovery and causing happy thoughts on both parties ("was pleased to see care for [his] well-being shown recently"). Makes severed nerves & tendons slightly more likely to heal/regrow.
   Anaesthesia II (Diagnostician, Alchemist, Herbalist): Requires the previous research of Anaesthesia, as well as either an Alchemist with access to sulfur (found in gypsum, anhydrite, & alunite), or an Herbalist with access to opium poppies (which currently don't exist). Produces a vial of ether and/or a vial of laudanum, allows the regular manufacture of more. Moderate to major medical procedures that use either of these supplies to anaesthatize the patient have improved speed and success rates.
   Antibiotics II (Diagnostician, Alchemist, Herbalist): Requires the previous research of both Antibiotics and Alchemy, and also requires that at least 1 (wet) cavern has been breached. The dwarves develop a kind of germ theory, in that infections are a fungus feeding on the body. They decide to bathe their medical equipment in steam to try to kill the "spores", and produce an artifact Autoclave or Magma Autoclave: really just a glorified Boiler that sterilizes cloth, thread, and any imaginary surgical equipment placed inside it (lowering chances of infection to nearly zero, unless the surgeons didn't wash their hands). They also discover a type of fungus that seems to kill other, nearby fungi, and manage to deliberately grow this fungus & isolate a distilled extract from it, producing a vial of penicillin and allowing the regular (but slow) manufacture of more. Applying this penicillin to a wound kills infection & speeds healing, and drinking it can even help kill some internal infections. The old method of using maggots becomes frightfully distasteful, even barbaric.

Future Innovations under consideration for this subset include Immunology.

Depending on how much people like Hoods, Cloaks & Capes, perhaps it would be better to let players choose if they want to make more Spiked Helms / Spiked Armor, or just leave them plain.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:08:00 am by SixOfSpades »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »

Subset: Agriculture & Diet

Earth-Moving (Miner, Grower): Produces a "stone" of whatever type of dirt or clay was just dug up, or a full bag if it was sand. Allows dwarves to build Walls and Ramps out of this raw earth--upon construction, the tile will display as "constructed" for about a season, and then revert to a natural state, growing whatever plants, trees, fungi, or crops are appropriate for the biome & surroundings. Downward Ramps that are not adjacent to any Open Space can also be "un-channeled", that is, filled in from above to leave flat ground. A tile containing a dead dwarf can have an earthen Wall built there without displacing the corpse, which will be regarded as an acceptable (albeit very cheap) burial as long as all 8 tiles adjacent to the body are also filled with stone or earthen walls or ramps. Lastly, this research opens up the "Save usable soil" command, an on/off toggle in the Orders menu that can direct Miners not to destroy the dirt/sand/clay that they dig, in order to leave earth for burials & creating Farm Plots.
   Weeding (Grower): May or may not produce a "weeds" refuse item. Opens up the "Weeding frequency" in the menu of all underground Farm Plots, optionally increasing the yield of desired plants. (Can rat weed & blade weed grow as weeds in plots where it's not cultivated, and if so, should they be pulled?) Also unlocks the "Extirpate" designation, allowing Growers, Herbalists, and Woodcutters to uproot dead shrubs & saplings.
   Surface Farming (Grower, Herbalist): Builds a Farm Plot above ground, and allows the regular placement of more. Activates the "Gardening" labor on the moody dwarf, unlocks it for everyone else. (Surface fruits & veggies seem rather alien to their subterranean counterparts, so Grower & Gardener should be separate skills.)
   Surface Weeding (Gardener): Requires the prior research of Surface Farming. Exactly the same as Weeding, but for surface plants.
   Silviculture (Gardener, Grower, Woodcutter, Herbalist): Requires the prior research of Surface Weeding. Allows Gardeners and Growers to transplant saplings from one place to another. Not recommended for dwarves, this seems a far too elven technique.
   Nesting (Animal Trainer, Ambusher): Produces an artifact Nest Box, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Birds will preferentially (though not necessarily exclusively, if they're wild) lay their eggs in nest boxes, and dwarves can collect them, though only Ranger-type dwarves will attempt to collect the eggs of untamed mothers.
   Draft Training (Animal Trainer): Requires the previous research of Domestication, Wheel, and (1 of Plowing/Sledge). Produces an artifact two-wheeled Cart, which can hold heavier loads than a wheelbarrow (as the weight is carried by the axle, not a dwarf's arms) and move at greater speeds (as it's being propelled by a stronger animal). Allows the regular manufacture of carts. Draft animals must be led by an able-bodied dwarf at first, but as they become more inured to the task, and/or any distractions and alternate paths are removed, they will allow themselves to be led by a child, and eventually walk their accustomed path of their own accord, with only occasional prodding. Carts can also be drawn by a unusually strong dwarf, but only slowly, due to the awkwardness of pulling something not designed for them.
   Beekeeping (Gardener, Herbalist): Requires the prior research of Surface Farming. Produces an artifact Hive. Opens up the Beekeeping and Wax Working industries.
   Potash (Chandler, Alchemist, Soaper, Grower, Gardener): Requires the previous research of Weeding. If no Ashery exists, the dwarf breaks down a Chandlery or Kitchen and builds an Ashery in its place. Produces a bar of potash. Unlocks the Ashery's reactions of 'make ash bars', 'make lye from ash', 'make potash from ash', and 'make potash from lye'.
   Composting (Grower, Gardener): Produces a "stone" of Clay Loam. Allows player to designate Zones as Compost Piles, wherein all organic materials (corpses, body parts, most clothing, rotted food, blood, vomit, etc.) slowly decay into bars of Fertilizer, and/or turn Sand or other low-grade soils (which have also been placed in the Compost Pile) into lumps of Clay Loam. Zones may be Garbage Dumps and Compost Piles simultaneously. Also allows the player to examine the "Fertilization frequency" of all Farm Plots and specify whether Potash and/or Fertilizer should be added.
   Plowing (Grower, Gardener): Requires the previous research of Farming or Surface Farming. Produces an artifact Scratch Plow, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Farm Plots may now be designated to be Plowed prior to planting, in specified seasons. Plowing gets seeds into the ground more quickly than hoeing, perhaps enabling an extra harvest per season. Scratch plows may be drawn by 2 dwarves or a draft animal, and steered by another dwarf. Scratch plows have great difficulty breaking up soil that has been left fallow & unplowed for more more than a season (although it can be plowed during a fallow season).
   Moldboard Plow (Grower, Gardener, Animal Trainer): Requires the previous research of Plowing, Draft Training, and Forge. Produces an artifact Moldboard Plow, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Moldboard plowing turns the soil, exposing more nutrients and thereby increasing yield . . . but this also exhausts the soil's mineral content more rapidly. Not really recommended for dwarves, as it seems a too human technology.
   Camouflage (Ambusher, Military Tactician): Ambushers out hunting, and military dwarves told to do so, will take a few moments to Pickup Equipment, gathering nearby outdoor items (usually grasses & shrubs, but mud, snow & sand are also applicable) and attach them to their clothing/armor. As long as they remain Outside, Above Ground, Light (or its equivalent "Outside" distinction in the caverns, if one is created), they can move at no faster than half speed, but can get much closer to other creatures before being detected. Dwarves coming back inside / off duty will Clean Self to remove the decorations.
   Lockjaw Trap (Ambusher, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Springs. Produces an artifact small or large Lockjaw Trap, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Ambushers & Mechanics can "build" these traps on any walkable tile (including ramps, why not), although only those tiles with sufficient ground cover (grass, shrubs, sand, snow) can actually hide the trap. Most creatures, including goblins & trolls, that happen to step on a Large lockjaw trap will trigger it (% chance based on the creature's intelligence & the concealing properties of the tile), making two metal jaws with sharp teeth snap shut on the leg of the victim, who is then chained to a metal stake driven deep into the ground. Small lockjaw traps, on the other hand, are delicate enough to catch lighter creatures, including gremlins & kobolds, although their sensitivity means they can also be set off by larger animals, who are usually strong enough to pull their legs out & escape with an injured foot. Very large creatures are immune to both types, and of course intelligent creatures are usually able to either pry the trap open, or pull out the stake and leave the map with the trap still locked around their leg. Intelligent creatures that spot the trap without stepping on it may spring it deliberately (to keep it from hurting another of their own, or simply out of malice), or if they can uproot it, they might take it home immediately, or they might even leave it un-sprung and swing the Trap by its spike, like a flail that can suddenly bite whatever it hits.
   Hunting Training (Animal Trainer): The Trainer slowly conditions the animals not to eat their prey, by leading Restrained animals toward prey caught in a Snare or Lockjaw trap: Only those animals that attack, but do not actually take a bite out of, the victim will be rewarded with food. The other animals will go hungry for a day. Allows tamed carnivores to be trained for hunting purposes.
   Fishing Net (Fisherdwarf): Produces an artifact Fishnet and allows the regular manufacture of same. Fisherdwarves now collect fish much faster, with the drawback that they can also deplete local fish populations much faster.
   Refrigeration (Grower, Gardener, Butcher, Fish Cleaner, Miller, Cook): Requires the active use (or just presence?) of two Food stockpiles that (on average) differ in temperature and/or humidity by least 15 degrees C or 20%. Does not affect temperature- or humidity-related rates of food spoilage, but makes each Food stockpile display its current temperature & humidity (very roughly), allowing the player to select the coolest & driest ones.
   Icebox (Grower, Gardener, Butcher, Fish Cleaner, Cook): Requires the previous research of Refrigeration, as well as access to ice. Produces an artifact Icebox, which is a large stone chest lined with sawdust, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Each icebox must be built in place before it can store up to 10 units of food and/or blocks of ice. It can be set to hold a specified amount of ice--as each block melts, it automatically generates a job to add another block, and take away 1 bucket of water. If the icebox is left Open, it will lower the temperature (but raise the humidity) of any surrounding food stockpile somewhat, and if it is left Closed, it more efficiently chills those foods placed inside it. Each icebox can be set to pull from specific stockpiles.
   Canning (Cook): Produces a sealed metal barrel of food. Raw fruits & vegetables can now be sealed inside metal barrels or glass jars, greatly extending their shelf life. Dwarves will prefer to take food from an open container, rather than broaching a sealed one.
   Dehydration (Cook, Miller, Presser, Wood Burner): The dwarf breaks down the Wood Furnace and builds a Smoker in its place, which can be loaded with a metal barrel or stone pot full of most kinds of raw food, and wood logs (not charcoal). The logs are consumed completely, preserving fish & meats with the smoke, and fruits & grains with the slow removal of water. Food preserved in this way will still rot after its container has been opened, but noticeably slower than normally, and only after being exposed to moisture. This research is not required for drying foods in the sun, or for salting meat & fish. Using a Smoker that is surrounded by a Food stockpile will raise the temperature of the stockpile, but lower its humidity. Allows the building of more Smokers.
   Cheese (Milker, Dairydwarf, Cook, Butcher): Technically, this discovery would require the use of animal stomachs to store milk, so a fort that has already moved on to pots or barrels for fluid storage has missed their chance to have cheese--unless that knowledge is imported at a later date. The dwarf breaks down the Farmer's Workshop and builds a Dairy in its place, produces a stack of the appropriate cheese, allows the regular manufacture of same, activates the Dairydwarf labor on himself, and unlocks it for everyone else.
   Butter (Milker, Dairydwarf, Cook): The dwarf breaks down the Farmer's Workshop & builds a Dairy in its place, producing a stack of butter and an artifact Churn, allows the regular manufactore of both, activates the Dairydwarf labor on himself, and unlocks it for everyone else.
   Cheese Preservation (Dairydwarf): In future, raw cheeses will be stored in salt water or repeatedly washed in booze while ripening, and/or baked as the last step of ripening, in order to extend their shelf life.
   Hard Biscuit (Cook, Baker?): Produces a stack of Hard Biscuit, bread that will last indefinitely (if kept reasonably dry), although it must be consumed with a liquid. Allows the regular manufacture of same, both from scratch and by baking existing biscuits a second time.
   Distilling (Brewer, Vintner): Produces a barrel of appropriate liquor. The dwarf breaks down the Brewery and builds a Still in its place, opening up the Distilling industry (allows dwarves to build more stills & produce distilled liquors).
   Vinting (Brewer, Distiller): Produces a barrel of appropriate wine. The Brewer breaks down the Brewery and converts it into a Winery, opening up the Vinting industry (allows dwarves to build more wineries & make wines).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:08:27 am by SixOfSpades »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2014, 06:44:29 pm »

Subset: Infrastructure

Bronze (Furnace Operator): Produces 2 bars each of bronze & bismuth bronze. Allows the production of bronze, bismuth bronze, & brass.
   Pewter (Furnace Operator): Produces 1 bar each of lay pewter & fine pewter. Allows the production of lay pewter, trifle pewter, & fine pewter.
   Steel (Furnace Operator): Produces 1 bar each of pig iron & steel. Allows the production of pig iron & steel.
   Ornamental Alloys (Furnace Operator): Produces 1 bar each of nickel silver, billion, rose gold, & electrum. Allows the production of nickel silver, sterling silver, billion, rose gold, black bronze, & electrum.
   Block & Tackle (Mechanic): Produces an artifact Block & Tackle, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Using pulleys in combination gives an increased mechanical advantage, allowing the lifting of items previously too heavy to move. Opens up the use of Drawbridges, Elevators, Portcullises, and other movable multi-tile constructions. This research is not required for retracting bridges, as they need to be raised only slightly (if at all).
   Ratchet (Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Springs. Produces an artifact Winch, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Gears that will turn only in 1 direction (unless a catch is released) allow the safe operation of gear trains applying great forces. Winches can be built in place, identical to a Block & Tackle, and are in all functional means identical to them.
   Treadmill Power (Miller, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Quern and Mechanics. Produces an artifact Millstone and allows the regular production of same, and also allows you to build Capstans (a wheel with external spokes, turns a vertical shaft on the z-axis) and Treadmills (a huge wooden drum, turns a horizontal shaft on the x- or y-axis), both of which can be run by up to 8 dwarves (or 4 draft animals, on a Capstan) at a time. Both provide Power to run things such as Millstones, and also multi-tile constructions like Drawbridges, just as a Winch or Block & Tackle would.
   Water Power (Mechanic): Requires the presence of a brook, stream, or river, and the previous research of Mechanics. The dwarf builds a Water Wheel, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Wind Power (Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Weaving and Mechanics. The dwarf builds a Wind Mill, and allows the regular construction of same.
   Steam Power (Wood Burner, Furnace Operator, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Forge and Mechanics. The dwarf breaks down the Furnace and builds a Steam Engine in its place, which will provide power to anything linked to it. The Engine's steam loop is completely self-contained, & so will never require additional water--only heat. (Magma Steam Engines are essentially infinite free energy--without the guilt or FPS drain of Dwarven Water Reactors.)
   Diving Bell (Fisherdwarf, Swimmer): The dwarf produces an artifact Diving Bell, which is large enough to contain 1 dwarf plus a small amount of supplies. A dwarf can "wear" this bell as he walks into (relatively calm) water, then leave the bell & come back to it to take each breath, which will allow him to stay submerged for several minutes--thus enabling actions like collecting otherwise-unavailable objects. Future multi-tile constructions that are lowered into water (requires the additional research of Ratchet, Block & Tackle, or a Power source) will be treated as watertight. 1-dwarf diving bells are too small to swing a pick inside, but the use of a quarrying drill (requires the additional research of Quarrying) might be allowed.
   Piles (Pump Operator, Swimmer): Requires the previous research of (1 of Ratchet / Treadmill Power / Water Power / Block & Tackle). Allows the designation of Piles, vertical 1x1 stacks (up to any height) of raw logs. Once designated, the entire construction can be mechanically lifted, and lowered into water. Piles placed adjacent to each other can form underwater walls, which are only slightly permeable by water, so any space enclosed by a wall of piles (also called pilings) can be pumped dry, provided you have enough pumps working.
   Flippers (Fisherdwarf, Swimmer): Creates an artifact pair of leather Flippers (large flat shoes that greatly enhance swimming speed), and allows the regular manufacture of same. Not recommended for dwarves, this seems a rather elven technology.
   Sawmill (Woodcutter, Carpenter, Blacksmith, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Saw and Forge, as well as (1 of Treadmill Power / Water Wheel / Windmill / Steam Power). The dwarf forges a Large Serrated Disc if no free ones are available, then breaks down the Carpentry Shop and builds a Sawmill in its place. As long as the Sawmill is provided with Power, it can convert each raw log into either a wooden block, or a stack of [2] lumber, which effectively doubles the amount of wood for many jobs: Carpentry and Bowyer's Workshops, and building wooden constructions, will all treat [1] lumber as being equivalent to a whole log/block. This has no effect on burning wood, however, or on Woodcrafting.
   Double Axe (Weaponsmith, Woodcutter): Produces an artifact Double-Bitted Axe. New woodcutting axes produced in the fort can be used for twice as long without needing to be resharpened. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Spare Blade.
   Mattock (Weaponsmith, Miner): Produces an artifact Mattock. All Picks made in future will have one tine of the pick replaced with a narrow, axe-like blade that allows Miners to take advantage of the natural cleavage lines of the stone, increasing digging speeds by 10%. When used in combat, the two sides of a Mattock are good for puncturing or severing limbs, respectively, making them more versatile than a standard Pick.
   Quarrying (Miner): Requires the previous research of Forge and Mechanics. Produces a Drill Bit, then moves to & claims a Mechanic's Workshop. Produces an artifact Quarrying Drill + Bit. Allows the production of quarrying drill bits (Blacksmith) and quarrying drills (Mechanic), and the use of a drill instead of a pick for mining. Drilling requires water (3 buckets per tile) and is slower than digging, but produces blocks directly and is more efficient--6 blocks per tile, instead of 4. Mining with picks is now performed 10% faster.
   Stone Saw (Miner, Mason, Blacksmith): Requires the previous research of Saw and Steel. Increases stone block production by 50%: Masons can make 6 blocks from each unit of raw stone, and Miners using Quarrying Drills can cut 9 blocks from each tile of living rock.
   Lens-Grinding (Glassmaker, Jeweler): Produces an artifact Lens, and allows Glassmakers & Gem Cutters to produce more. Allows the production of Magnifying Glasses & Loupes (both highly useful for Jewelers, and in Surgery / Suturing), and also Telescopes, which can give advance warning of creatures about to enter the map.
   Piston Pump (Pump Operator, Mechanic): Requires the previous research of Forge and Mechanics. Produces an artifact Piston Pump, which can actually pressurize the fluid being pumped, meaning it can raise water higher than its own elevation. Allows the manufacture of Piston Pumps, and (if Wheel has been researched) Water Barrows, which are metal wheelbarrows that can spray water from their pressurized interiors.
   Springs (Mechanic, Blacksmith): Requires the previous research of Crude Bow and Forge. Produces an artifact Spring. Allows Mechanics to build Cage, Weapon, & Upright Spear/Spike Traps (if the spikes move up & down), and allows Ambushers & Mechanics to build Lockjaw Traps. This research is not required for Stone-fall Traps, Pitfall Traps, Pressure Plates, Trapdoors, Animal Traps, or Upright Spear/Spike Traps where the spikes are stationary. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Recurve Bow.
   Plaster (Mason, Alchemist): Requires access to sand, and (1 of gypsum / alabaster / selenite / satinspar / anhydrite). Can be made for free at a Wood Furnace: A "make plaster power" order consumes 1 wood & produces 1 charcoal. Nowhere near as strong as mortar, blocks held together with plaster are only 100% stronger than mud/clay. Plaster is more decorative than structural: Plastering a wall or floor tile has the same effect of smoothing that tile, with the additional attribute of completely obscuring the actual stone--all walls & floors, no matter their composition, will have the same "default plastered stone" value, handy if a "lesser" dwarf has a bedroom with ores & gems running through it. Plaster is also all the same color, which players might also appreciate visually.
   Mortar (Mason, Alchemist): Requires access to flux stone & sand. A vast improvement over simply filling the spaces between blocks with mud or clay, blocks held with mortar are 200% stronger & more resistant to the attacks of building destroyers.
   Cement (Mason, Alchemist): Requires access to flux stone, sand, and also (1 of andesite / rhyolite / dacite / basalt). Allows the construction of stone Walls that are 250% stronger than the old mud/clay method. Can harden underwater: A bag of mixed cement & either sand or gravel dropped into water has a 10% chance of turning into a Concrete Wall upon hitting the bottom. Also allows Masons (who are also Swimmers, and/or using the Diving Bell technology) to build stone Walls underwater.
   Chandlery (Cook): Requires the previous research of Rendering. The dwarf breaks down the Kitchen and builds a Chandlery in its place, producing an artifact stone Lamp. Activates the Chandlery labor on the dwarf & enables it for everyone else. Chandleries can render fat and produce tallow Lamps and wax & tallow Candles, which make it easier for dwarves to see underground (so they no longer have to stand right next to something to admire it), and to negate the trading penalty imposed if you build your Trade Depot in a place that forces elves and humans to appraise your trade goods in the dark. Also improves the speed & accuracy of Jewelers, and doctors performing Surgery & Suturing. This research is not required to build charcoal Braziers, although Braziers throw more heat than light.
   Soap (Alchemist, Chandler, Potash Maker): Requires the previous research of Chandlery. If no Ashery exists, the dwarf breaks down a Chandlery and builds an Ashery in its place. Produces a stack of soap. Unlocks the Ashery's reactions of 'render fat', 'make ash bars', 'make lye from ash', and 'make soap from lye'.
   Lantern (Chandler, Glassmaker): Requires the previous research of Chandlery and Glass. Produces an artifact Lantern, made of glass and either stone, ceramic, or metal, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Works like a Lamp, but needs to be refueled only half as often, and cannot be accidentally blown out.
   Mining Helmet (Armorsmith, Miner, Chandler): Requires the previous research of Forge and Chandlery. Produces an artifact Mining Helmet, which incorporates a Lamp or Lantern. Provides valuable benefits to a Miner's Observer skill while lit, as well as some minimal protection when on the job.
   Pottery (anyone): The dwarf sets up a Potter's Studio in a dry, sunlit area & produces an artifact piece of very simple pottery, such as a block, mug, figurine or (if Cord is researched) necklace. Enables regular manufacture of very simple objects, of sun-dried clay only (extremely weak & brittle, can melt in heavy rain). Allows the construction of more Pottery Studios, which must be in dry, sunlit areas or they cannot produce sun-dried wares.
   Adobe (Potter): Requires the previous research of Pottery. In future, all new ceramic blocks (of any type, even porcelain) will be strengthened with the addition of straw, reeds, or grasses, allowing them to bear more weight.
   Earthenware (anyone): Requires the previous research of Pottery. The dwarf breaks down the Fire Pit and builds a Kiln in its place. Produces an artifact piece of earthenware (broader selection now, due to increased strength and resistance to rain). Teaches Furnace Operator skill.
   Glazing (Potter, Furnace Operator, Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous reseach of Earthenware or Stoneware. Enables the Kiln work orders of functional glazing over the entire (working) surface of any type of fired ceramic item (teaches the Potter skill), and decorative glazing added purely for ornamentation (teaches the Painter skill). Different colors allowable, depending on discovered pigments valid for glazes. Functional glazing is required for earthenware intended to store liquids.
   Stoneware (anyone): Identical in every way to Earthenware, except almost completely impervious to liquids.
   Porcelain (Potter, Furnace Operator, Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Earthenware or Stoneware, as well as access to kaolinite. Produces an artifact piece of porcelain pottery, lighter & stonger than all other types, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Fritware (Potter, Furnace Operator, Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous reaserch of Earthenware or Stoneware. The dwarf breaks down the Kiln and builds a Glassworks in its place, producing an artifact faience craft or set of goblets. Allows the regular manufacture of faience vessels or finished goods, and frits, which may ground into pigments, or fired again into fritware vessels. Both use the Glassmaker skill. If you're looking up "faience" on Wikipedia, make sure to specify Egyptian faience.
   Glass (Potter, Furnace Operator, Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Earthenware or Stoneware. The dwarf breaks down the Kiln and builds a Glassworks in its place, producting an artifact green glass object. Allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Clear Glass (Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Glass and Potash. Produces an artifact work of clear glass, allows the regular production of same. Allows the regular production of any color of glass for which the fort has (and has discovered) the appropriate pigments.
   Crystal Glass (Glassworker, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Glass, as well as access to rock crystal. Produces an artifact work of crystal glass, allows the regular production of same.
   Enamel (Glassworker, Potter, Glazer): Requires the previous research of Glass or Fritware. Allows the functional (uses Glassmaker skill) or decorative (uses Painter skill) enameling of any metal, ceramic, or glass object, using any pigment appropriate for glass.
   Sledge (Carpenter): Produces an artifact Sledge, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Sledges allow the movement of heavy loads, but only if at least one of the following conditions is met: 1) It is being moved over snow or ice, 2) It is being moved over raw logs (logs can be flagged for use as rollers), or 3) Ropes are used, allowing it to be pulled by many dwarves.
   Wheel (Carpenter, Blacksmith): Requires the previous research of Sledge. Produces an artifact Wheelbarrow, and allows regular production of same.
   Minecart (Carpenter, Blacksmith, Miner) Requires the previous research of Sledge or Draft Training. Produces an artifact minecart and a short length of track, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Makes Draft Training Common Core, if it hasn't already been developed.
   Wagon (Animal Trainer, Carpenter): Requires the previous research of Draft Training. Produces an artifact Wagon & allows the regular manufacture of same. A wagon is a four-wheeled multi-tile vehicle that holds a very great deal more than a wheelbarrow or cart, without any loss in speed. It must be pulled by two draft animals--dwarves cannot draw it, except with long ropes.
   Chariot (Animal Trainer, Carpenter): Requires the previous research of Draft Training. Produces an artifact Chariot & allows the regular manufacture of same. A chariot is a two-wheeled cart with a  low axle and a pair of draft animals. It can carry two dwarves, or one dwarf and a wheelbarrow's load of goods, or just a single dwarf at high speed (along flat terrain, at least, and especially on roads). Its most common uses are to send messages to distant settlements, and as a highly mobile marksdwarf platform in battle.
   Rope (Spinner): The dwarf breaks down the Farmer's Workshop and builds a (very small) Ropery in its place, producing a (very short) artifact rope. Activates the Roper labor on the dwarf & unlocks it for everyone else. Allows the building of Roperies, which are unusual in that they can be built in many dimensions: The player places the first end of the building (a 1x3 block) and specifies its cardinal orientation, and then selects how far in the chosen direction the other end of the building (a 1x2 block) shall be built. The longer the Ropery, the longer the ropes produced within it, and the more raw materials needed to make those ropes. Ropes can be made from rope reed, pig tails, (giant) cave spider silk, jute, cotton, hemp, sisal (which does not exist), or from flax or coconuts (which do exist but do not provide fibers).
   Multiple Heddles (Weaver): The dwarf upgrades the Loom to a Heddle Loom, and produces a stack of twill or satin cloth, and allows the regular manufacture of same (must select twill or satin weave for each new job). Twill fabric is more flexible, comfortable, and slightly more durable than plain weave, while satin is extremely smooth & expensive, and should probably be limited to using only silk thread. Satin is not really recommended for dwarves, as it seems a far too elven commodity, but then again, the clear majority of silk comes from underground.
   Pile (Weaver): Requires the previous research of Multiple Heddles. The dwarf upgrades the Loom to a Heddle Loom if applicable, produces a stack of pile cloth, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Must select twill, pile twill, or satin for each new weaving job. Pile cloth is softer, warmer, and far more absorbent than regular cloth (the latter of which is most significant for floor mats), but requires more time and thread to make.
   Tapestry (Weaver, Clothier): Requires the previous research of Embroidery. The dwarf breaks down the Loom and builds a 3x3 Great Loom in its place, producing an artifact tapestry measuring 3x3 tiles. Tapestries may be placed on the floor as carpets/floor mats, but as this can offend the craftsdwarf they are almost always hung on a wall. Great Looms can be built in sizes up to 10x10 tiles, and make tapestries of any dimensions up to the size of the loom. Both the Weaving and Clothesmaking labors must be activated for a dwarf to work on a tapestry, and both of those skills are improved by the practice.
   Asbestos (Strand Extractor, Miner, Stonecrafter, Spinner, Alchemist): Requires access to chrysotile. Produces a stack of asbestos strands, which can then be spun into thread. Activates the Strand Extractor labor on the dwarf, and enables it for everyone else. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Adamantine.
   Adamantine (Strand Extractor, Miner, Stonecrafter, Spinner, Alchemist): Requires access to adamantine. Produces a stack of adamantine strands, which can then be spun into thread or woven into wafers. Activates the Strand Extractor labor on the dwarf, and enables it for everyone else. Becomes Common Core upon the Innovation of Asbestos.
   Unhairing (Tanner): Requires the previous research of Tanning, as well as access to flux stone and sulfur (found in gypsum, anhydrite, & alunite). Produces an animal Hide, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Hides do not insulate as well as Furs/Pelts, but they are easier to keep clean and a bit more durable, being more thoroughly tanned into "true" leather.
   Lining (Clothier): Requires the previous research of both Inner and Outer layer garments for any single body part. Produces an artifact lined garment of the appropriate Outer type, made of an Outer-layer cloth but lined with an Inner-layer cloth, and allows the regular production of same. Said garments are as durable as the Outer fabric, but as comfortable as the Inner one, and are also warmer than their unlined Outer counterparts (although if warmth is an issue, a lined Outer garment is still less insulating than an unlined Outer + an Inner).
   Pockets (Leatherworker): Produces an artifact Pocketbelt, which is a belt with two leather pouches on the sides, suitable for holding personal possessions or other small articles, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Haulers collecting things like socks, seeds, or fruit are much more likely to try to gather multiple items in one trip.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:09:33 am by SixOfSpades »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2014, 06:44:53 pm »

Subset: Society

Clockwork (Mechanic): Requires prior research of Springs. Produces an artifact Clock or Automaton. Allows traps, bridges, and similar buildings/constructions to operate on a purely time-based system, rather than relying on external triggers. Allows Mechanics to produce Clocks, Music Boxes, Windup Toys, and Automata (mechanized wooden Statues).
   Fountain (Mason): Requires the previous research of Forge and Mortar. Produces an artifact Fountain, which acts as a normal Statue until it is linked to a source of power--at which point it spreads happy thoughts more widely than a regular Statue. Opens up the ability for Masons to make Fountains.
   Drums (Tanner, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of Unhairing. Produces an artifact drum, and allows the regular manufacture of same at the Leather Works.
   Shofar (anyone): Requires access to either hollow animal horns, or gastropod shells of the appropriate size (conch or whelk). Produces an artifact conch trumpet or shofar, and allows the regular manufacture of same at Craftsdwarf's.
   Harmonic Resonance (Wood Crafter, Bone Carver): The dwarf studies a foreign-made flute and either harp or violin, and reverse-engineers them to work out the relationship between the length of the tube / string and the tone produced by it. The dwarf breaks down the Craftsdwarf's Workshop and converts it into a Luthier's, allowing the regular manufacture of panpipes, flutes, piccolos, mandores, guitars, and dulcimers, of which the wind instruments can be made of bone & metal, though the strings require wood. If the moody dwarf did not have access to an anvil, the Luthier's Workshop must be upgraded with one before instruments can be made of metal. Produces an artifact instrument of the appropriate type & material. The construction of all shofars & drums is moved to the Luthier's Shop.
   Alarm (Military Tactician, Discipline, Persuader): Requires the previous research of Drums, Shofar, or Harmonic Resonance. The dwarf takes an appropriate instrument (kettledrum, shofar, piccolo, trumpet, bombard, or bell) and builds it in a "prominent" location--that is, Inside and preferably Above Ground, but very close to an Outside tile. Appropriate instruments built at any location can now be given the job of Sound Alarm, which will cause all dwarves within earshot to immediately drop whatever they're doing (if its weight causes them to move at less than 90% of their top speed) and hustle to the nearest Civilian Alert burrow. Dwarves close to appropriate built instruments will repeat the Alarm there (unless that instrument has already been sounded), before running inside. Military dwarves may be assigned small instruments as part of their uniforms, and they too will sound these before looking to their own safety. Some instruments have disadvantages when used as Alarm calls: Dwarves unfamiliar with wind instruments may attempt to sound an alarm but fail, and the sound of a kettledrum is not clearly audible from far away.
   Horns (Luthier): Requires the previous research of Harmonic Resonance and Shofar, as well as a Luthier's Forge. Produces an artifact metal trumpet, serpent, or tuba, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Reeds (Luthier): Requires the previous research of Harmonic Resonance, as well as access to (1 of reedgrass / common reed / any bamboo / possibly rope reeds). Produces an artifact clarinet, oboe, bombard, or bassoon, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Bells (Luthier, Blacksmith): Requires the previous research of Harmonic Resonance and Metal Casting. Produces an artifact bell, gong, or set of handbells, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Polyphonic Instruments (Luthier): Requires the previous research of (1 of Horns / Reeds / Bells). Produces an artifact pipe organ, harpsichord, or set of bagpipes, or (if Reeds is researched) harmonium or accordion, or (if Bells is researched) carillon. All but the accordion & bagpipes must be built in place before playing.
   Mirrors (Glassmaker): Produces an artifact Mirror, allows Glassmakers to manufacture more. Great for providing happy thoughts to pompous nobles, especially the assertive & immodest. When placed behind built Lamps or Candles (or if Mining Helmet has been researched), nearly doubles their effective brightness. Allows you to bring sunlight to even the deepest recesses of your caverns without the need for a direct vertical shaft.
   Psychological Counseling (Consoler, Pacifier): Consolers with appropriate personality traits (high Sympathy & Altruism, low Anxiety, etc.) will spontaneously seek out unhappy dwarves, and share a chat with them over a beer, preferably in a private office. This is particularly helpful for dwarves who get irritated when talking to authority figures, because the Consoler (probably) isn't one. This can backfire, however, because this behavior makes the Consoler more likely to make lots of emotionally delicate friends, so when the Consoler dies . . .
   Locks (Tinker, Carpenter, Mason): Requires the previous research of Forge. Produces an artifact Door, which can be locked while remaining unbarred: The player can designate the "ownership" of the door (just as beds & the like already are), so that only those explicitly authorized to open the Door have a key to do so (Building Destroyers excepted, of course). Future Doors made in the fort follow the same pattern, while existing doors may be individually dismantled, upgraded, and rebuilt.
   Hair Care (Persuader, Negotiator): Requires the previous research of Smelting or Crafts. Produces an artifact wood, stone, bone, or metal Comb, allows the regular production of same. Combs are owned as personal possessions, and allow dwarves (especially those most concerned about their own appearance) to groom their hair & beards.
   Punitive Justice A (Intimidator, Discipline): Requires the previous research of Laws and Leatherworking. Produces an artifact leather Whip, and allows the regular manufacture of same, as well as stone Pillories. From now on, dwarves that break the rules (or otherwise displease those in power) may be given a public flogging, or simply be chained in a pillory for public ridicule, instead of other disciplinary measures. Conflicts with Punitive Justice B. This research is not required to have the offending dwarf be beaten by the Sheriff / Hammerer, or to have them placed in prison. Becomes Common Core if the fort owns at least 1 whip.
   Punitive Justive B (Intimidator, Discipline): Just like Punitive Justice A, except that it creates a Scourge instead of a Whip, and allows Stocks instead of Pillories. Conflicts with Punitive Justive A. Becomes Common Core if the fort owns at least 1 scourge.
   Bullwhip (Intimidator, Discipline, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of Punitive Justice A. Produces an artifact Bullwhip, which has a greater range than a regular whip, and deals much more painful welts that leave scars.
   Hooked Scourge (Intimidator, Discipline, Leatherworker): Requires the previous research of Punitive Justice B. Produces an artifact Hooked Scourge, which has a small metal hook at the end of each tail. During use, these hooks can tear into the victim's skin, even stripping bits of it from their flesh. Continue until morale improves.
   Barkcloth (Woodcutter, Herbalist, Tanner, Thresher): Requires the previous research of Tanning, as well as access to cedar, redwood, or cypress logs. If no Pulp Mill exists, the dwarf breaks down a Tanner's Shop and builds a Pulp Mill in its place. Produces a stack of tough barkcloth, and unlocks the Pulp Mill reactions of 'make soft barkcloth' and 'make tough barkcloth'--suitable for both Inner and Outer clothing layers, respectively. Allows regular manufacture of same (uses the Threshing skill). Not recommended for dwarves, this seems a far too elven technique.
   Papyrus (Herbalist, Thresher): Requires the previous development of Weaving, as well as access to blue sedge or field sedge. Produces a stack of Papyrus, suitable for making into a Scroll or Book, and allows the regular production of same at a Farmer's Workshop (uses the Thresher skill).
   Parchment (Tanner): Requires the previous research of Unhairing, access to flux stone, and the raw skin of a cow, sheep, goat, or especially calf. Produces a stack of Parchment, suitable for making into a Scroll or Book, and allows the regular production of same.
   Paper (Tanner, Thresher): Requires the previous research of Tanning. If no Pulp Mill exists, the dwarf breaks down a Tanner's Shop and builds a Pulp Mill in its place. Activates the dwarf's Thresher labor and produces a stack of paper, suitable for making into a Scroll or Book. Unlocks the Pulp Mill's reaction of 'process logs into paper' (uses the Thresher skill).
   Tokens (Appraiser): Requires the previous research of Pottery or Crafts. Produces a stack of clay, wood, bone or stone coins, and allows the regular manufacture of same.
   Money (Appraiser, Tinker): Requires the previous research of Tokens and Smelting. Replaces early coins with (usually) more durable metal ones, which actually have physical value.
   Dice (Negotiator, Intimidator): Prequires the previous research of Crafts. Produces a set of wood, stone, or bone dice, and allows the regular production of same. Dice are owned as personal possessions.
   Cards (Judge of Intent, Liar): Requires the previous research of Ink and either Paper or Papyrus. Produces an artifact deck of cards, and allows the regular production of same. Cards are owned as a personal possession.
   Bowling (Thrower, Comedian): Requires the previous research of Crafts. Produces an artifact stone bowling ball and set of wooden bowling pins, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Allows zones to be designated as bowling lanes.
   Dodgeball (Thrower, Dodger): Requires the previous research of Tanning and Cushion. Produces an artifact leather ball and allows the regular production of same. Balls can be owned as personal possessions, or left in a Toys stockpile for anyone to grab. Allows zones to be designated as dodgeball courts, if none are available dwarves will play wherever they feel like it. Dodgeball deserves a special mention because, out of all the games, it improves the Agility and Spatial & Kinesthetic Senses of the players at the highest rate.
   Tiles (Conversationalist, Flatterer): Requires the previous research of Crafts or Glazing. Produces a stack of stone, wood, or ceramic gaming tiles (whether these are dominoes, mah-jong, or Scrabble tiles is up to the player's imagination) and allows the regular production of same. Any built (non-artifact) table can be upgraded to a tiles table by adding a set of tiles to it: the table can no longer be eaten at, but serves as a social gathering spot instead.
   Marbles (Persuader, Consoler): Requires the previous research of Tanning and (1 of Crafts / Glazing / Glass). Produces a leather bag of 25 stone, ceramic, or glass marbles. The bag and "shooter" marble are owned as personal possessions, while the other 24 marbles are "semi-owned," potentially changing hands at every game.
   Chess (Judge of Intent, Pacifier): Requires the previous research of Crafts or Glazing. Produces an artifact stone, bone, ceramic, or wood chess set (including the board), and allows the regular manufacture of same. Any built (non-artifact) table can be upgraded to a chess table by adding a chess set to it: the table can no longer be eaten at, but serves as a social gathering spot instead. Chess deserves a special mention because, out of all the games, it improves the Analytical Ability of the players (and onlookers) at the highest rate.
   Stand-Up Comedy (Comedian): Comedians will actively try to liven up your dining halls, and especially Parties. Great for counteracting the New Year's Day Blues.
   Theatre (Liar, Converstionalist, Comedian, Persuader): Requires the previous research of Stand-Up Comedy. The dwarf will recruit two or more acquaintances to re-enact actual events for the amusement of observers. After the player designates a given zone as a Stage (which this Innovation allows), dwarves in the mood to entertain may tell stories, play music, and in time maybe even write & perform actual plays, complete with costumes & makeup.
   Apprenticeship (Teacher, Student, Discipline, Persuader): Requires that the moody dwarf has produced a masterwork. The dwarf will take under his wing a child who is technically too young to learn the dwarf's trade, and begin teaching her the theory of his craft. The child must have some natural predisposition towards learning that trade, and not have enough personality conflicts with the master to spark a Grudge. Allows the player to appoint any dwarf who has reached the rank of Master or better in any labor (no military or social skills) to be eligible to recieve apprentices (the player can adjust the number of apprentices each master may have at a time). Parents can then spontaneously present one of their children to a master, who may accept or reject the child, based on natural aptitude and personality. Apprentices will fetch reagents for their master's jobs and perform ancillary tasks (like pumping the bellows at a Forge or washing vegetables for their Cook), and in return will listen to his lessons and observe demonstrations--this invisibly grants them experience in that skill. When they become old enough to learn that trade normally, the labor is automatically enabled and they are a Dabbling [whatever]. They must still perform hands-on work in order to learn the skill, but due to their training, each job they do earns them more than 100% of the normal experience gain, until they catch up to the "hidden" experience gained from the lessons.
   School (Teacher, Discipline, Persuader): Requires the previous research of Nanny. The dwarf gathers up a group of children and tells them tales of the history of their civilization. He also discusses local stone types, plants, & animals, the fort's social structure, what to do when goblins come, and personal safety around construction areas. Depending on what Innovations have been researched, and how well he himself understands those Innovations, he may explain the scientific theories behind some of them, like Adobe or Harmonic Resonance. After the lesson is over (ended by one of the kids needing to Eat / Sleep / whatever), the player is able to designate a Classroom from any Chair that is not part of anyone's office, bedroom, dining hall, or dormitory. A while new Academic screen is opened up, which functions very similarly to the Military screen: Classes are organized just like squads, under specific teachers, with the obvious exception of equipment (then again, if personal writing implements ever become a thing, that might change). Classrooms function in the same manner as Barracks, with regularly-scheduled Lessons, if the teacher isn't currently instructing then motivated students might practice Individual Study, etc. Students with the proper academic predisposition will have their Analytical Abilities noticeably enhanced by spending several years in school (magnified even more if Writing has been researched) . . . while those not of an intellectual bent will gain little perhaps some social skills and Discipline training.
   Academy (Teacher, Student, Discipline, Persuader): Requires the previous research of School. Whereas usually, all children are kicked out of school once they reach technical adulthood, this Innovation will allow the most intellectually promising students to remain on for as many more years as the player likes--simply by giving them almost no labors, the player can turn the brightest students into nearly full-time scholars. These dwarves cannot be assigned to academic "squads" any more, but they will frequently sit in on any open class that they can find, engage in one-on-one dialogues with every teacher, master, & Legendary artisan in the fort, interview visiting merchants & guards to discuss life in other cultures, and tutor those children who seem likely to join them in a scholastic career. By taking one of these geniuses and giving them a specific job to perform, the player can strongly influence the game to give the dwarf one or more new Innovations in that chosen field. Not recommended for dwarves, this seems a too elven lifestyle.
   Immigration Control (Discipline, Intimidator, Persuader): Requires the previous research of Leadership. The moody dwarf goes to the highest-ranking noble in the fort (if they are not already the same person) and conveys the idea of turning away some migrants to the fort. Allows the appointment of an Immigration Officer, a noble position whose job is to meet with every group of migrants and reject those who do not meet the "standards", which may be adjusted by the player at any time after this Innovation. For every migrant denied entrance to the fort, your reputation for strictness goes up, and it goes down for every dwarf allowed in despite being technically unworthy. Dwarves who know they do not meet your immigration requirements will be less likely to even attempt to come to your fort, although it's almost impossible to deter all undesirables, especially if your fort is subservient to your Mountainhome: Naturally, your monarch outranks your little policy, and send whoever they damn well please. Dwarves turned away at your gates may join the local hill dwarves instead, though if they have family or friends already inside your fort, they may try to sneak in despite your restrictions--especially if you sent them away without any food or equipment (an action which is also likely to lower morale in your fort).
   Baths (Mason, Blacksmith, Wood Burner, Furnace Operator): Requires the previous research of Masonry, Forge, and Soap. Produces an artifact stone Bathing Tub, and allows the regular manufacture of same. Also allows the building of Boilers, which can heat water either by the bucketful (for filling bathing tubs) or through pipes (for the heating of larger enclosures of water). Built bathing tubs can be used to designate their surroundings as Public Baths, and dwarves may congregate & socialize there, especially if the Baths overlaps with a Gymnasium.
   Hot-Air Balloon (Wood Burner, Furnace Operator): Requires the previous research of Forge and Weaving. The dwarf constructs a crude balloon, waits for good weather, and then lights the balloon in an Outside, Above Ground area, watches it go up, and then after a while pulls it back down. This Innovation unlocks absolutely nothing, you can't make more balloons, or even use the first one again. The dwarves are unanimous that this is a fascinating discovery that has no practical applications whatsoever.
   Homing (Animal Trainer): Requires the previous research of Domestication. Certain animals can be trained to carry messages, and perhaps even small parcels, to & from the fortress. These animals must be A) Willing and able to travel reasonably long distances (approx. 100 km) on a regular basis, B) Intelligent enough to not lose their way, and C) Able to avoid predation along the way. Animals that meet all 3 of these criteria include the pigeon, dove, some species of bat, owl, raven, horse, dog, and wolf--possibly others. The animals must have a reason to make the journey--usually to get "home," to their possible mate and brood. If the fort is close enough to the Mountainhome for this animal-mail system to be feasible, on each visit the Outpost Liaison will take 1/3rd of the animals trained to home to your fort, and in turn drop off some animals trained to return to the Mountainhome. They may send you important news, such as updates to their desired trading goods, and in turn you will be expected to issue regular reports as a part of the realm. Animal-mail with closer destinations, such as the hill dwarves, is much less cumbersome, in fact animals could be trained to go & come back in one day, by keeping the animal's family in one location, but only feeding it at the other.
   Gem Lantern (Chandler, Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Glassmaker): Requires the previous research of Lantern. Just like a regular Lantern, but with the clear glass replaced by colored glass of several different colors, or even non-opaque gemstones. Not as good at illumination as a regular Lantern, but far more likely to be very much admired. When the Magic arc kicks in, they might even burn gems as the fuel.
   Gilding (Tinker): Allows all rigid furniture, weapons, armor, & finished goods--basically everything except cloth and soft leather--to be decorated with metal leaf. Valid metals are gold, silver, copper, platinum, aluminum, rose gold, electrum, billion, black bronze, and brass. Each gilding job uses 1/10th of a bar: the remaining 9/10ths sit invisibly in the Tinker's workshop, waiting for future gilding jobs using that same metal, in the same manner that smelters can hold "fractional" bars.
   Pigment (anyone): Requires the previous research of Rawhide. Produces an artifact drawing on hide, and allows the regular manufacture of same (teaches Painter) for display and/or trade. Allows walls to be drawn upon, after (or instead of) smoothing, increases value similarly to smoothing. (Note: Each successive Innovation in the "color family" [Pigment, Cosmetics, Glazing, Paint, Dye, Ink, Tattoos, Fresco, Illumination, Fritware, Glass, Clear Glass, Mosaic, and Enamel] unlocks any appropriate pigmenting agents that have become available since the previous Innovation. For example, if Paint is invented, and then the fort gains access to an ingredient that would open up a new color of paint, that particular color would still be unavailable in the Studio until another successful Innovation, like Cosmetics or Illumination, alerts the game that that color is now available for production/use.)
   Cosmetics (Painter, Alchemist, Cook): Requires the previous reaserch of Pigment and Rendering. Allows Alchemists to manufacture cosmetics kits, whose value increases in proportion to the number of appropriate pigments to which the fort has access.
   Paint (Painter, Alchemist, Cook): Requires the previous research of Pigment and Nesting. The dwarf breaks down the Alchemist's Lab & builds a Studio in its place. Allows walls & floors to be painted, after (or instead of) engraving, increases value similarly to engraving. If Weaving is researched, allows paintings to be produced for display and/or trade.
   Dye (Spinner, Weaver, Alchemist, Herbalist): Requires the previous research of Pigment, and either Weaving or Tanning. The dwarf breaks down the existing workshop and builds a Dyer's in its place. Enables the dyeing of thread, cloth, & leather.
   Ink (Painter, Bookkeeper, Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Pigment, and (1 of Weaving / Papyrus / Parchment / Paper). Allows record-keeping & other writing-related tasks to be performed with greater speed & accuracy.
   Fresco (Mason, Painter): Requires the previous research of Painting and Plaster. Enables the painting of frescoes: The dwarf will first plaster the selected wall, and then immediately paint it. Increases value similarly to smoothing + engraving (and is more durable than painting dry walls, if "colorfastness" ever becomes a thing, otherwise this is a useless Innovation). Not recommended for dwarves, as it seems a rather human practice . . . but then again, dwarven pantheons commonly include a god of painting.
   Mosaic (Mason, Stonecrafter, Gem Setter, Potter, Glassmaker, Painter): Requires the previous research of Plaster or Mortar. Enables walls & floors to be decorated with stone/ceramic/glass/gem mosaics, increasing value similarly to smoothing + engraving. Furniture can be built upon mosaic floors without harming them--the artist will merely be offended that one of his works was covered up, not actually destroyed.
   Tattoos (Suturer, Wound Dresser): Requires the previous research of Pigment. Enables idle dwarves to request tattoos that reflect their likes & personalities, and possibly to order specific dwarves to get specific tattoos that might help "correct" their personalities.
   Book (Bookkeeper): Requires the previous research of Ink and (1 of Papyrus / Parchment / Paper). Allows scrolls to be individually replaced by books, which are more resistant to damage by fire, water, & vermin.
   Illumination (Bookkeeper, Painter): Requires the previous research of Ink. Allows books & scrolls to be upgraded / replaced with different-colored ornamental lettering & illustrations, either for trade or good feelings from use.
   Embroidery (Weaver, Clothier): Requires the previous research of Dyes and at least one garment. Produces an artifact garment decorated with images sewn in colored thread. Allows the regular decoration of items (that are at least partially cloth or leather) in this manner.
   Cushion (Leatherworker, Clothier): Requires the previous research of Nesting, and an unbuilt, non-artifact bed or chair/throne. Upgrades same to either a pillow bed or upholstered chair/throne, and allows the regular upgrading of same. Pillows & upholstery make said furniture much more comfortable and far more valuable in trade.
   Thermometer (Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Refrigeration and Clockwork. Produces a non-artifact Weather Station, and allows the regular manufacture of same. The weather station features a thermometer made of a bimetallic coil spring, and if Barometer or Hygrometer has already been researched, those are present as well. Existing weather stations may be upgraded to include a thermometer.
   Barometer (Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Clear Glass, as well as access to cinnabar. Produces a non-artifact Weather Station, and allows the regular manufacture of same. The weather station features a barometer made of glass and mercury, and if Thermometer or Hygrometer has already been researched, those are present as well. Existing weather stations may be upgraded to include a barometer.
   Hygrometer (Alchemist): Requires the previous research of Polyphonic Instruments. Produces a non-artifact Weather Station, and allows the regular manufacture of same. The weather station features a hygrometer based on a string of cat (or similar) intestine, and if Barometer or Thermometer has already been researched, those are present as well. Existing weather stations may be upgraded to include a hygrometer. With all 3 meteorology Innovations, the moody dwarf then builds the weather station on an Inside tile that is very close to an Outside tile--even next to a Fortification leading outside, if that's the best he can do (more outside exposure = better accuracy). Any dwarf standing nearby, as well as the player, can observe the local temperature, air pressure, & humidity, so a vigilant player can have advance notice of potentially hazardous weather conditions (pools and streams are about to freeze/thaw, rain and fog in Evil biomes, and rain when the temperature is below freezing). If Alarm has also been researched, an alarm instrument can be built next to the weather station, so any dwarf who notices imminent danger can automatically call everyone back inside. Weather stations can also be built in food stockpiles, to monitor temperature and humidity. All 3 meteorology Innovations are technically quite invalid, as thermometers, barometers, and hygrometers were all developed well after the approved period of world history . . . but as they're really only items that do what dwarves should be able to do anyway ("I don't like look o' them clouds. Storm's a-brewin'."), I don't think it harms the feel of the game. I have also delayed the Innovations, by making them depend on Clockwork, Clear Glass, and Polyphonic Instruments, when really all that would be truly needed would be Springs, Glass, and Harmonic Resonance.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:10:04 am by SixOfSpades »

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:26 am »

I feel like a lot of these 'techs' are not really techs. For example, murder holes. Dwarf Fortress is not a game about who has the most technologies. It's about engineering and management. While I am in favour of techs, I was thinking that they would be more like perks than actual components in a tech tree. Tech trees are too generic and they also change the focus of the game. Going back to murder holes, I suppose there isn't a way to let Marksdwarves shoot directly down, but why do they need to if their Overseer is a good planner? I'd argue that a lava pit is infinitely more dwarfy than clever humie contraptions.

Also, they're DWARVES for Armok's sake. Their techs should be different to historical human techs. IMO, dwarves are supposed to be good at smithing and mining. The available techs should reflect that. Instead of a tree that unlocks everything, why don't we just have a smogasbord of possible perks that an inspired dwarf can choose from. Almost everything should be available at the beginning, but techs should just provide a small but noticeable boost to a particular area, e.g. Mining, mechanisms, weapons, farming, booze, etc.

Lastly, I sort of alluded to this earlier, but each civ should have a unique selection of perks. Human techs should centre around agriculture and armouring, while the tree-hugging Elves can go refine their long wooden toys laughably pathetic wooden armour or something. Goblins can go do what they want, because they're goblins. Maybe even steal techs?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8