Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop the Migrants  (Read 834 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Stop the Migrants
« on: September 19, 2014, 05:58:29 pm »

So I've started myself a challenge fort of sorts, where I run several small forts that are somewhat interdependent on one another, but mostly isolated from each other, and completely separate from the outside world. I've already figured most things out, but is it possible for me to turn off immigration without stopping natural births? I want this thing to grow organically once I've got a decently sized seed population, and see how long I can keep it running without having to deal with the many, many ghosts that will inevitably appear.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the Migrants
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:18:46 pm »

I thought this was going to be an Australian politics thread for a second there.

You can turn off immigration in the INIT file.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:02:43 pm »

So I've started myself a challenge fort of sorts, where I run several small forts that are somewhat interdependent on one another, but mostly isolated from each other, and completely separate from the outside world. I've already figured most things out, but is it possible for me to turn off immigration without stopping natural births? I want this thing to grow organically once I've got a decently sized seed population, and see how long I can keep it running without having to deal with the many, many ghosts that will inevitably appear.

You're looking for these lines in d_init:

Code: [Select]
[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

Set your population_cap low, and your strict population at whatever you want.  That will prevent immigration and still allow births.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:14:50 pm »

Thanks guys.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.