Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190102 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1395 on: October 24, 2014, 08:41:30 am »

Yeah, don't mistake it -- there's definitely more tolerant religions out there (though, y'know, very few of particular note in regards to size. Buddhism's probably closest, and that lot has their own problems.). Hinduism in general just seems to be doing better on that front than the other billion+ ones (i.e. the other major ones, population wise).

S'mostly the sort of doctrinal permissiveness that appeals to me personally, t'be honest. Less likely to have the members of one sect of hinduism look at another and say, "That is not Hindu." At least in my interaction and understanding of the thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 24, 2014, 08:48:41 am »

A truly tolerant religion teaches the sanctity of all life(or at least, all human life) with no caveats, unanimously condemns violence of all kinds and is not open to interpretation on these subjects.
So virtually none of them, then.
For example, you never see, nor ever will see, a violent Jainist sectarian. Hinduism doesn't quite cut it.
I'll give you that the Jainists are so far radically pacifist, but don't be so certain that it couldn't happen. Anything can be eventually justified in the name of the supernatural and indemonstrable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:44 am »

... y'know, reading something, and it strikes me with an odd question. In the case of Rapture -- and assuming that not everyone gets got -- what would happen to growing fetuses? Things that, by much christian consideration, are full human, but not yet born (and often not considered saved until some later date). Would, like. Would some of them not get YWHWducted? Life support system gets poofed, but the fleshy bundle just kinda'... stays behind.
Ask not!
Ask!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:05 am »

I know Catholicism ditched the whole "must be baptized to be saved". Their souls I guess would get a chance to  repent for original sin, and accept the Lord in to them etc.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 24, 2014, 10:32:53 am »

I think they would get sent up

But part of my belief is that prior to the age of consent or what ever its called, you basically have a free ride into heaven because you aren't at fault for what you do because you don't understand etc etc
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:15 am »

Theoretically, abortion would be a good thing if that's the case - guaranteed sending people to heaven?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:25 am »

Theoretically, abortion would be a good thing if that's the case - guaranteed sending people to heaven?
minus the fact that it is murder

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 24, 2014, 11:04:58 am »

Murder for a good cause, though- we're sending people to eternal bliss.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:03 am »

Any discussion of the pre-trib rapture must humbly acknowledge that it is a much, much, much newer invention than most people believe, and hence there hasn't been a lot of time to think about this specific teotwawki scenario.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:22 am »

I must applaud this forum. I'm pretty amazed. This thread has been going on for almost 100 pages. No flame war. No. Flamewar.
Also, this is really interesting. Many of these questions are stuff that I have pretty much never pondered at all (I'm also not christian).

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 24, 2014, 11:16:16 am »

Doesn't matter
murder is a sin

That would be like me saying im killing myself for the same reason

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:20 am »

Killing of the innocent is something readily condoned and forgiven by many christian sects, though -- you only occasionally see strong condemnation of collateral damage or outright murder of the uninvolved in war. And that's for things considerably less righteous than guaranteeing the innocent access to heaven. It's something of an inconsistency in practice for many denominations, imo. Unfortunately.

That said, sweet hell the curses YWHW brought about. Deuteronomy 28 is a straight up depiction of YWHW specifically being stated as willing to damn a people (due to impiety, or something along those lines) with, among other things, cannibalizing afterbirth and the newborn. And taking delight in doing so. It's some pretty fucked up shit, ha. I'll give this much -- when that's what it learned from, I can see how people are somewhat leery of Satan. I sincerely doubt the student has managed to surpass the master when it comes to vicious depravity.

Also apparently fairly willing to commit abortion itself, if hosea 13's anything to go by. Not just that, actually -- murder of the mother as well. Even as a mere metaphor it's pretty nasty.

Someone remind me again why being called "Godly" isn't a horrific insult? Ruddy old testament reads like a freaking smear campaign sometimes. YWHW's more than a little excessive :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:28 am »

Doesn't matter
murder is a sin

That would be like me saying im killing myself for the same reason

So it's impossible to sin for a good reason, and have god allow it?
I've played some mafia.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 24, 2014, 02:02:23 pm »

minus the fact that it is murder

In a sense it'd be the ultimate selfless act though - taking on the burden of the sin of said murder(s), knowing what that means for your own soul, in order to guarantee a place in heaven for those unborn souls.

I mean, if it's possible to go straight to heaven skipping the phase of existence that is a) less pleasant than heaven by a huge margin and b) brings a very real risk of permanently missing out on heaven, then making that possibility a reality is a good thing (especially if missing out on heaven also means an eternity of torture and torment in its place).  If you're doing this good thing at the cost of your own soul and place in heaven (depending how much can be divinely forgiven) it then becomes a truly selfless act as you're potentially accepting a fate *way* worse than death for yourself to ensure the best possible fate for your beneficiaries.

Not that I'm genuinely advocating a mandatory abortion policy for the entire human race, but that'd be the logical conclusion to a system where heaven is way better than mortal life and is a certainty for unborn fetuses but dependent on particular criteria for developed adults.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »

Ya up until you hit the point of human existence for Christians
Which is to spread the word of god
And how would that happen if all Christians aborted their kids to save them the trouble, oh yeah, there wouldn't be Christianity because they all DONT EXIST ANYMORE

And no god doesn't condone sin in any form even if it is for a good cause
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 185