Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190235 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1335 on: October 22, 2014, 08:44:03 am »

And if you want nobody to be feel insulted, try not to be insulting in the first place. Also, why can't Cryxis feel insulted? I feel insulted, for example, whether or not it was Descan's intention. It's not like only one side should watch out what they are saying/writing, y'know?
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47:33 am »

Aye, it was insulting. There's no need to lock the thread over it, but it is outright mockery of one of Christianity's most important (and personal) rituals. You can see how that would ruffle some feathers.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:44 am »

It was uncalled for and certainly did not advance the discussion. Not the kind of post needed here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:01 am »

Still, barring stuff happening after we died (which we're not qualified to talk about), it's fair to say all religious rituals aren't really important, at least in secular Europe. That is, you can live perfectly fine without them.

Of course, they might be significant for you, but I wouldn't call them "important".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:13 am »

Still, barring stuff happening after we died (which we're not qualified to talk about), it's fair to say all religious rituals aren't really important, at least in secular Europe. That is, you can live perfectly fine without them.
Sure! But there are different ways of saying it. After all, I prefer talking to an intelligent Nazi to talking to a dumb leftist as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 22, 2014, 09:06:52 am »

So um, what about the holy grail stuff? Like Indiana Jones?

(half-assed attempt to rerail the thread, lol)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17:47 am »

I think that's more Arthurian legend that Canon honestly.It's popular because it was most likely a rumour spread as a prize meant to spur and boost the spirits of crusaders during that era. You'd probably be very hard pressed to find anyone religious who believes such an artifact still exists.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 22, 2014, 09:30:26 am »

There are actually two objects which purport to be the cup used by Jesus at the last supper, though they are referred to as distinct from the holy grail legends. The first is in Genoa, the second in Valencia. Of the two, if either of them are indeed genuine, I think it's the Valencia chalice. Benedict XVI may have as well if Wikipedia is to be believed, having used it in mass and referred to it as "this most famous chalice" instead of the usual "the cup."

The origins of the holy grail legend are separate, and its origins are... unclear. It seems to have originated in British folklore and been blended with existing stories of the cup used at the last supper.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 22, 2014, 09:53:32 am »

Ya the holy grail is just a gold cup that jesus drank out of

not really all that amazing
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:45 am »

My confirmation was: "Ah, here's my get out of church free card"

Before hand, my parents had been responsible for bringing me to church, so I went with them, but after that it was out of their hands. Not that they're particularly devout themselves, or made me go with them. In fact, I know very few people who do more than just go to church because they always have, or because "hey! Time to see my friends and have a chat!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:28 am »

My confirmation was: "Ah, here's my get out of church free card"

Before hand, my parents had been responsible for bringing me to church, so I went with them, but after that it was out of their hands. Not that they're particularly devout themselves, or made me go with them. In fact, I know very few people who do more than just go to church because they always have, or because "hey! Time to see my friends and have a chat!"
I got free right after the first communion. But except for that, completely equal. I just said I didn't want to take the intermediary studies until confirmation, stopped attending altogether and by the time I was to confirm everybody in the family knew I wasn't a believer already.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 22, 2014, 10:50:17 am »

My parents figured it out when, during parents evening, my Religious Education teacher said he was very much enjoying some other opinions in the classroom.

Hrmmm...

Ah well, they didn't care. My dad, I learned recently, actually thinks something similar to me, though he never really mentioned it before.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 22, 2014, 10:52:34 am »

During Confirmation, YOU are asked permission. And you could technically say no[Although usually, if you don't want to be Confirmed, you don't go through with the thing anyways. I always wondered what would happen if the priest asked "Do you reject Satan and all his works?" and they said "Nope".].
They just ask you if you want to be part of the church, not if you reject Satan (well, at least the Protestants here do it like that). And you can totally say no, I did, nobody will hear it because everyone is asked at once.
Maybe it's a German pecularity, but it's not unusual for people to be confirmed even if they don't care about it, just because "everyone does it" (which is how so many people end up being baptized as kids in the first place) and because you get money and gifts. It's just an empty ritual, I grew up as an atheist and still had to go through with it. For most people it's the last time they go to church apart from weddings and funerals. To actually leave the church you have to go to a civil registry office (because of the church tax), and there is even a fee of IIRC about 30 Euro.

That's the conventional Protestant viewpoint on baptism.  It's basically a public expression of faith.  There were no infants baptized in the Bible.  Also, since Jesus was baptized, it's hard to say that baptism is necessary for salvation.  Then there was the thief on the cross, who was not baptized and yet was saved.
Depends on where you live, European Protestants have infant baptism + confirmation, adult baptism is not common in mainstream Protstantism here.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:41 am »

Ah well, they didn't care. My dad, I learned recently, actually thinks something similar to me, though he never really mentioned it before.
That seems to be the case with a lot of men in my family. Most of them seem to be believers with different levels of (non)comittment with the church, some even dropping hints they don't really believe at times.
But then there are two or three that are really devout, so maybe it's just me unconsciously interpreting the data so as not to look like the family's black(est) sheep.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

During Confirmation, YOU are asked permission. And you could technically say no[Although usually, if you don't want to be Confirmed, you don't go through with the thing anyways. I always wondered what would happen if the priest asked "Do you reject Satan and all his works?" and they said "Nope".].
They just ask you if you want to be part of the church, not if you reject Satan (well, at least the Protestants here do it like that). And you can totally say no, I did, nobody will hear it because everyone is asked at once.
Maybe it's a German pecularity, but it's not unusual for people to be confirmed even if they don't care about it, just because "everyone does it" (which is how so many people end up being baptized as kids in the first place) and because you get money and gifts. It's just an empty ritual, I grew up as an atheist and still had to go through with it. For most people it's the last time they go to church apart from weddings and funerals. To actually leave the church you have to go to a civil registry office (because of the church tax), and there is even a fee of IIRC about 30 Euro.

That's the conventional Protestant viewpoint on baptism.  It's basically a public expression of faith.  There were no infants baptized in the Bible.  Also, since Jesus was baptized, it's hard to say that baptism is necessary for salvation.  Then there was the thief on the cross, who was not baptized and yet was saved.
Depends on where you live, European Protestants have infant baptism + confirmation, adult baptism is not common in mainstream Protstantism here.

Re: shit givery, here in Poland very very few people who had their confirmation with me cared much about it, too. And you don't even get gifts, as far as I know, the only thing you get is half a year of going to church another time per week, getting bored as hell, cramming doctrine for the tests and getting yelled at to sing louder by the organist.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 185