Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190477 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1140 on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:14 am »

* Gnorm uses Wall of Text! It's super effective!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:52 am »

Did gnorm just said lying is fine as long as it makes people convert?(when "explaining" contradictions)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 11, 2014, 06:26:44 am »

That is actually one of the teachings in Islam. That lying is one of the tools that should be used to spread the faith. [/slight derail]

As for the leviathan, it sounds so ridiculous it can't be true. Therefore, it must be a misinterpretation of a crocodile.

Funny how when Jesus does something so ridiculous as to walk on water, turn water to wine, etc. it MUST be true, because it is written in the Bible.

Why believe in water-wine and not water-beast?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 11, 2014, 06:46:54 am »

May I remind everyone that Jesus's first miracle was to summon wine at a party because they drank all the wine they had?

The fact that american abolitionist pretend that the bible is against booze is slightly bafling to me.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: October 11, 2014, 08:58:59 am »

Ya but I'm pretty sure wine back then wasn't really that alchoholic it was just fermented for ease of storage
Ya know, wine stores longer than grape juice
And it doesn't say that everyone at the party got drunk
Maybe too many people showed and they ran out of refreshments

Posting my not so baptist beleif on alchoholic beverages: I think it's ok to drink them just not to the point of intoxication
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: October 11, 2014, 09:06:57 am »

I believe specific reference is made to the practice of switching to lower-quality wine when people are sloshed enough to no longer be able to tell the difference...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:54:00 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:49 am »

John 2:1-11New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Changes Water Into Wine

2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Woman,[a] why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

And old wine was not as strong a modern one, yet much stronger than your average beer. He also made about 100 liter of wine, which is a lot of wine.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:51:23 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 11, 2014, 10:20:14 am »

Apparently they live in the same town? That's kinda neat.
Or creepy.

We're friends from back when I was in High School.  I convinced him to play Dwarf Fortress, and, afterwards, join the Bay 12 Forums.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:47:54 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:09 pm »

Posting my not so baptist beleif on alchoholic beverages: I think it's ok to drink them just not to the point of intoxication

Why would you drink alcoholic beverages if not to intoxicate yourself? Let's get real, most alcoholic drinks are nasty. Even good wine takes a "refined palate."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1149 on: October 11, 2014, 02:18:03 pm »

I like the taste of wine... an I wouldn't exactly call my palate "refined".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 11, 2014, 02:18:48 pm »

Why would you drink alcoholic beverages if not to intoxicate yourself? Let's get real, most alcoholic drinks are nasty. Even good wine takes a "refined palate."

That's mostly because 'good wine' is defined by a bunch of one-man human centipedes.

Also, either you've clearly not have had a mixed drink ever, or you have that weird genetic thing that makes you hate the taste of ethanol. They taste different than the sum of the parts.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 11, 2014, 02:23:19 pm »

Eh, all alcohol tastes equally bad to me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: October 11, 2014, 02:26:03 pm »

Did gnorm just said lying is fine as long as it makes people convert?(when "explaining" contradictions)
What I said was that the reason that there are four Gospels was to speak to a wider group of people, for the penguin asked why there wasn't one, large, comprehensive Gospel. To exemplify, I noted the magi in the Gospel According to Matthew and the shepherds in the Gospel According to Luke. I believe that most scholars agree that Matthew was written for a Jewish audience, and Luke for a Gentile audience, which would explain the difference; Gentiles paid no mind to magi, and Jews no mind to poor shepherds. I do not argue that these are "lies," but merely different parts of the story.

I was not explaining contradictions in the general sense. In fact, I invited any who had any contradictions in mind (Genesis through Revelation) to bring them to this thread. In my opinion, a Christian who does not think about these things and find answers is not a good Christian.

As for the leviathan, it sounds so ridiculous it can't be true. Therefore, it must be a misinterpretation of a crocodile.

Funny how when Jesus does something so ridiculous as to walk on water, turn water to wine, etc. it MUST be true, because it is written in the Bible.

Why believe in water-wine and not water-beast?
I see your point. Still, the Leviathan is in the Book of Job to show God's power. If it was a real creature, God demonstrates His power and Job's weakness. If it was a symbolic invention, it still demonstrates that Job would not be able to contend with God's power. Perhaps the extensive description of the Leviathan's might is to prove God's point.

As for Jesus, His miracles are mentioned a lot more extensively than the presence of the Leviathan is, and His teachings provide the basis for the Christian religion. Hence, people are more inclined to believe in Him than the Leviathan.

May I remind everyone that Jesus's first miracle was to summon wine at a party because they drank all the wine they had?

The fact that american abolitionist pretend that the bible is against booze is slightly bafling to me.
There's a certain amount of writing in the Bible that advises against drinking to inebriation. There's still plenty of alcohol referenced in the Bible, so I'd chalk up a good portion of the anti-drinking verses as advice, rather than a true commandment. Still, alcohol can and does endanger people and harms relationships with God, so I can see why some choose to follow the Bible's advice more closely.

Also, I don't think "abolitionist" is usually used to describe a prohibitionist or a temperance activist.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 11, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »

the Baptist ianterpretation insists on translating alll poistiver references to "wine" as "unfermented grape juice". Which in Bibical times was essentially POISON due to the ease in whcih grape juse breeds bacteria.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 11, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »

the Baptist ianterpretation insists on translating alll poistiver references to "wine" as "unfermented grape juice". Which in Bibical times was essentially POISON due to the ease in whcih grape juse breeds bacteria.

I've heard that it meant 'water slightly fermented to kill bacteria'.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 185