Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190447 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1095 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »

A dome of foreskins is even weirder.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #1096 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:15 pm »

A dome of foreskins is even weirder.
*shudder* Is it dome like a tent?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »

... seriously? A pitched tent of foreskins? The phrasing, ye' gods.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »

Ok silly discussion topic time

Funniest, favorite, or most awesome thing you've found in the bible

I'll start with an awesome one
There is a king that is mentioned somewhere and in some translations he has a pet basilisk/dragon/ fire breathing lizard/water monster thingy (ok some of those aren't it I know but I forgot so I threw out what I thought it was. I'll try to find the part where it is mentioned)
Do you remember exactly where in the Bible it is? Other than in the Revelation, I don't know of any other biblical dragons. I believe there might have been something in the Apocrypha, but I don't use those books.

As for the most funny thing I know of in the Bible, the Book of Judges has a man explain his rather odd dream in chapter 7, verse 13. My favorite part: the empty tomb of Christ. The most awesome, probably the Revelation.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »

Ok silly discussion topic time

Funniest, favorite, or most awesome thing you've found in the bible

I'll start with an awesome one
There is a king that is mentioned somewhere and in some translations he has a pet basilisk/dragon/ fire breathing lizard/water monster thingy (ok some of those aren't it I know but I forgot so I threw out what I thought it was. I'll try to find the part where it is mentioned)
Do you remember exactly where in the Bible it is? Other than in the Revelation, I don't know of any other biblical dragons. I believe there might have been something in the Apocrypha, but I don't use those books.

As for the most funny thing I know of in the Bible, the Book of Judges has a man explain his rather odd dream in chapter 7, verse 13. My favorite part: the empty tomb of Christ. The most awesome, probably the Revelation.

Probably thinking of the Leviathan, kicking around in Job 40. Basically a fire-breathing water monster, which the NIV comments 'may be referring to a crocodile'.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2014, 11:38:25 pm »

I want to know what the sod kind of crocodile that is, and why Noah forgot to pack it on the Ark.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 10, 2014, 03:03:37 am »

Dude, the boat was wooden...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1102 on: October 10, 2014, 03:16:17 am »

To be fair, the story doesn't make much sense anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 10, 2014, 06:16:27 am »

All I have to say is thank goodness God separated the waters from the water. That  could have been confusing!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 10, 2014, 06:51:21 am »

... seriously? A pitched tent of foreskins? The phrasing, ye' gods.

That sounds like a particularly NSFW fort name.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:34 am »

2 Peter: 21
The second verse basicaly says that scripture was writen by man but the Holy Spirit took over those men at the exact moments that god wanted them to write so that the books of the bible came out as god intended
Think about it, would the author of holy scripture put in that they denied their god three times?
Or the many other things that they did wrong
I don't think so, I think if man wrote the bible on his own agenda it would be all sunshine and rainbows and non of the prophets did anything wrong.
But it's not written that way, it's written with all their mistakes and lessons they learned and the such

This is a couple days old, but I just remembered it and realized I forgot to respond. It reminds me of my religion teacher. We read the scene where the women discover Jesus' empty tomb and tell everyone. He said that it was evidence the Bible was true because people would believe women less, and if the authors were telling a lie that they wanted people to believe they'd have used different witnesses. This ignores all of Jesus' teachings though - the authors were just being consistent. People would be suspicious if the guy who said "Blessed are the meek" suddenly had these authoritative important dudes witness the really big miracles. I'm surprised he wasn't discovered by lepers.

If the Bible were written by people, it would have ridiculous misinterpretations of animals the author had never seen (see above posts). It would glorify the authors' race and justify the slaughter and enslavement of their enemies. It would write about mistakes for a variety of reasons - mainly teaching (Peter denying Jesus three times is a lesson on how everyone sins) or the fact that mistakes make good stories. It would contain contradictions - weird that an omniscient God captured Jesus' life from four different perspectives that disagree on many facts instead of giving us one really accurate account. It would also definitely claim it was written by God.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:34 am »

Ok so my youth pastor and church pastor have both stated they are open to discussing ¨contradictions¨ in the bible

they have said that any contradiction found is not a true contradiction in the bible but the way it was translated or read

a couple weeks ago the church pastor had given an example that i wish i remembered but he took two verses that seemed to contradict each other but one of the words in the second verse had some 15 translations from the original greek word and if you put the right one in its place then the contradiction just faded away
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:00 am »

So basically anything can be made to agree if you have enough varying translations to choose from?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:59 am »

Ok so my youth pastor and church pastor have both stated they are open to discussing ¨contradictions¨ in the bible

they have said that any contradiction found is not a true contradiction in the bible but the way it was translated or read

a couple weeks ago the church pastor had given an example that i wish i remembered but he took two verses that seemed to contradict each other but one of the words in the second verse had some 15 translations from the original greek word and if you put the right one in its place then the contradiction just faded away

That sounds like a bit of rationalization, though. While this might be true in some cases, in others it might not - and then people who don't want to bother doing research will handwave it away as though it was.

Also, there's the question of which word is right - otherwise you run the risk of just picking whichever translation allows you to sidestep a problem.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 10, 2014, 09:06:17 am »

There's inconsistencies I'm not sure how translation errors would explain. Hell, genesis 1 and genesis 2 have different orders for the order of creation, and the second outright contradicts the first by separating the creation of man and woman, which were created together in gen 1.

And that's, like. The first book. Inconsistent reports of time regarding the same incident (X years in one gospel, Y years in another) seem to pop up pretty often -- number mismatch in general, really -- as well, among... well, just a bunch of stuff.

This, dredged up by something like two seconds of google searching, provides a fairly interesting list involving various degrees of contradiction. Some could be explained by translation error (and some aren't so much biblical self-contradiction so much as contradiction between the bible and reality), but others... less so.

This is also pretty neat. What it's sourced from is arguably questionable (for the annotations, if not necessarily the translation in itself), especially considering it's a single translation and, well, we're talking about the problems with that right now, but it's neat none the less.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:13:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 185