Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190632 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #945 on: October 05, 2014, 07:25:20 pm »

... considering christian doctrine and response to the concept and questions surrounding the soul and afterlife has been referenced very, very sparingly, and the discussion spent nearly as much time talking about justification (with, again, little to no reference to the christian perspective on the subject) as it did on the soul and related concepts, no, it's pretty explicitly been a derail. Into a fairly closely related subject, but this last bit has been very much more metaphysics than theology or doctrine.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:13 pm »

Well who wants to get back on topic
I've got a few ideas but 99% of them WILL cause a flame war
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 05, 2014, 09:46:09 pm »

I have two questions for two demographics in the thread -- to rerail it.

Christians/religious people, are you still afraid of death despite belief in the afterlife? If so, why?
Non-religious/atheist people, are you afraid of death? If not, how did you get over your fear?

(of course this makes the assumption that we are born afraid of death, but it's a common enough fear to safely make the assumption)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 05, 2014, 09:49:39 pm »

I'm not all that afraid of death itself, though I don't want to die
I know it's going to happen (and my friend getting hit and killed by a drugged up street racer) kinda helps me get over that fear
It's kinda like being afraid of something you can't stop no matter what so why fear it

In my beleif I will get to see my friend again
R.I.P
Donnie

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 05, 2014, 09:51:52 pm »

It's kinda like being afraid of something you can't stop no matter what so why fear it

Okay. Let's follow that explanation. I am trapped in a little prison cell. I was tortured yesterday. I know I am going to be tortured today. Why fear the torture? And yet wouldn't I fear it anyway?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 05, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »

Okay. Let's follow that explanation. I am trapped in a little prison cell. I was tortured yesterday. I know I am going to be tortured today. Why fear the torture? And yet wouldn't I fear it anyway?

I wouldn't look forward to it
I don't look forward to death

I would try to stop it
As I would try to stop death

But all in all if I can't stop it no sense in fearing it
As I cannot stop death I should not fear and I do not fear it

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 05, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »

Well, you could actually do that if you were masterfully skilled at disassociation, but the difference is that there's a world out there without torture. So far, there's no world without death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #952 on: October 05, 2014, 09:55:48 pm »

Fear doesn't necessarily mean that you want it to happen. In both cases (death, torture) I would look for a way to avoid it - but I wouldn't waste any time worrying about what would happen if I couldn't avoid it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 05, 2014, 09:57:41 pm »

Fear doesn't necessarily mean that you want it to happen. In both cases (death, torture) I would look for a way to avoid it - but I wouldn't waste any time worrying about what would happen if I couldn't avoid it.

Exactly that

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »

Christians/religious people, are you still afraid of death despite belief in the afterlife? If so, why?
Non-religious/atheist people, are you afraid of death? If not, how did you get over your fear?

(of course this makes the assumption that we are born afraid of death, but it's a common enough fear to safely make the assumption)

Really only by... association? I don't fear dying per se (not that I want it to happen, mind you.) What I fear is that when I die, I won't have lived a virtuous enough life, or a full enough life, or a worthwhile enough life. The prospect of an afterlife in eternal punishment is a frightening one though, and the conflict is real.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 05, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »

Really only by... association? I don't fear dying per se (not that I want it to happen, mind you.) What I fear is that when I die, I won't have lived a virtuous enough life, or a full enough life, or a worthwhile enough life. The prospect of an afterlife in eternal punishment is a frightening one though, and the conflict is real.

But that seems somehow worse because you're attempting to create a sort of horrifying secular teleology and overlaying it on your life like a video game GUI (in place of the old religious teleology). Instead of worrying about whether you're doing X or Y thing wrong, you now worry about whether you're doing X or Y thing fully, or fulfillingly, or authentically, and those are even harder to quantify than the already nebulous concept of wrong and right, and especially at the personal level.

I actually stood up and closed my computer and walked away when I read Paul Graham's essay that proposed that what "matters" in life, to you, should be roughly what will be on your obituary. Jesus, dude. I guess all those cavemen without gravestones didn't have things that really mattered in life. No wonder people nowadays feel like they have to videorecord everything: there is no God except Facebook for them to ask whether something really mattered.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:21:38 pm by freeformschooler »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 05, 2014, 10:28:30 pm »

Yes, I think I am. Mostly because, especially right now, I have what I would call unfinished business. There are books to be read, experiences of life to be had and potentially relationships as well. And I REALLY want to see DF V1 come out. Actually, I'm mostly afraid of dying EARLY. As far as death in general goes... I'm mostly K with it. It is inevitable. I think I might have a different answer if I felt it to be more imminent, but I don't believe I am scared of death.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 05, 2014, 10:29:16 pm »

I don't fear dying so much as it pisses me off that we only get at best 120 years, and more likely 80 years. And that most of those years are with a likely-to-be bad body.

Hence my chosen profession.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #958 on: October 05, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »

At first I forgot you were an engineer, so my first two thoughts were "doctor" and "hitman".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 05, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »

I will say I don't want to die
I have a lot of things I want to do
But I came to terms with myself that I don't need to do those things to have a good life
(I hope I'm not beating a dead horse saying this.  A few months before Donnie died I had a nice conversation with him and another friend about what we want to do in life. He had some nice prospects. We shared a lot of prospects. And he never completed them, yet he lived a pretty great life. He never got married, had kids, finished college, got the job he wanted, or lived a long life, but he did live a meaningful one. Driving from the funeral to the grave site there was a good 3+ mile long line of cars, each car packed with his friends and family. So I think I'm ok with dieing even if I don't finish what I want to do)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 185