Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190684 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #900 on: October 05, 2014, 03:04:33 pm »

We can prove anything, provided you want us to. For centuries, god was supposed to be in the sky. Literally (and it would be fitting, isn't it?). Then men began to fly, and we didn't find god. The solar system was supposed to be geocentric. Assured by the pope himself. And then it wasn't. The earth was 6000 years old, deducted by adding everyone's lifspan in the bible. And then it wasn't.

Everytime a tenant of religion is disproven, religious peoples adapt their beliefs. I can disprove your soul, though, if you cant a new one. Just ask and I can change your personaality, forever, by destrying a small part of your brain. Ultimate proof that what make yourself is just the computations inside it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 05, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »

Except, again, that doesn't actually disprove the soul*, or state anything in particular about it. At most, it confirms that the interaction between flesh and soul can be interrupted or interfered with, and the fault for that could lie entirely in the flesh. We don't know, we can't know, and assertions to the contrary are making claims that are literally impossible to justify.** Just as claims that an immaterial soul exists are.

*It does disprove some conceptualizations of it, but far from all.
**Insofar as anyone can tell. If we actually become able to measure and observe the soul, that would change.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 05, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »

If you mean in the strict Dawkins version of Atheism, then no, you're unlikely to find a nation-state or country that that is the plurality, unless Cote d'Ivorie or something just hasn't been asked and turns out to.
Dawkins' definition of atheism is the lack of belief in a god.  Japan and China certainly have at least a plurality of these.

The fact that it must be taken on faith seems to suggest that there is no soul.
To me it suggests more that it's one of an infinite number of unfalsifiable ideas that just aren't worth considering for any purpose other than self-comfort.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 05, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »

This only follows if faith is inherently wrong, and cannot be anything else. Is it?

We can prove anything, provided you want us to. For centuries, god was supposed to be in the sky. Literally (and it would be fitting, isn't it?). Then men began to fly, and we didn't find god. The solar system was supposed to be geocentric. Assured by the pope himself. And then it wasn't. The earth was 6000 years old, deducted by adding everyone's lifspan in the bible. And then it wasn't.

Everytime a tenant of religion is disproven, religious peoples adapt their beliefs. I can disprove your soul, though, if you cant a new one. Just ask and I can change your personaality, forever, by destrying a small part of your brain. Ultimate proof that what make yourself is just the computations inside it.

Except none of those things are actually written into scripture. It is true that the idea of a young earth is derived from scripture, if only tangentially, but the idea of a geocentric universe dates back centuries before the birth of Christ, and the idea of God being "in the sky" is even more old and apocryphal.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:25 pm »

At most, it confirms that the interaction between flesh and soul can be interrupted or interfered with, and the fault for that could lie entirely in the flesh.
What about when people's emotional tendencies change due to brain damage? I would say that counts as changing a fundamental part of the soul.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #905 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »

I'm sorry, but you literally can't prove or disprove something that claims to transcend reality. By its very nature you can't study it.
The idea that a brain is kind of a reality-interface for the soul makes the "I can change your personality by screwing with your brain" argument moot, as well.

At most, it confirms that the interaction between flesh and soul can be interrupted or interfered with, and the fault for that could lie entirely in the flesh.
What about when people's emotional tendencies change due to brain damage? I would say that counts as changing a fundamental part of the soul.
It changes part of the brain. Brain damage. The brain is damaged. The soul is irrelevant.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »

Generally the comparison made is to a receiver dish, grak, as II notes. The soul's whatever is received and expressed by the body. Damage to the dish causes damage to the signal's expression, but says nothing of the signal itself. S'like if your radio's antenna goes to pot it doesn't mean the radio station has exploded. It doesn't say anything about the radio station -- if you want to know about that, you'd have to go check.

And in this case, the proverbial radio station is an invisible, intangible, unobservable one that's presumably in another dimension or somethin' and is posted to interact with the proverbial radio in ways we cannot detect. We lack the capability to go check.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 05, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »

I'm sorry, but you literally can't prove or disprove something that claims to transcend reality. By its very nature you can't study it.
The idea that a brain is kind of a reality-interface for the soul makes the "I can change your personality by screwing with your brain" argument moot, as well.

It changes part of the brain. Brain damage. The brain is damaged. The soul is irrelevant.
Then your soul is not you. When you die, you'll be as dead as baby-you is dead.

It is essentially a nothingness-death for you as you are now.

This only follows if faith is inherently wrong, and cannot be anything else. Is it?
Does it? Faith is not wrong. It just isn't a basis for living an entire life. "I have faith that the universe is powered by a giant squid. Evidence? Why, the milky way is in a vague-tentacle shape, and space is its black ink." nothing inherently wrong with this belief, but it is still wrong.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 05, 2014, 03:29:06 pm »

As far as I'm concerned they're the same thing. That is to say, your soul (the entirety of your emotions, memories, things like that) are because of the structure of your brain, partially how it grew and how it changes over your lifetime.

But in the context of the "soul is external" thing, I think the personality modification stands. Sure, the antenna might be able to cause you to lose signal or whatever, but if you're able to influence what's on the radio by modifying your antenna, maybe you're actually changing more than that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #909 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:29 pm »

Then your soul is not you. When you die, you'll be as dead as baby-you is dead.

It is essentially a nothingness-death for you as you are now.
If my brain is a radio, I can also wiggle the Bass/Treble dial and mess with the volume controls to change how the signal is received. [/stretchingthemetaphortofar]

If the core of "me" is my soul, and my soul is apart from reality, there's no reason to assume that death in the body equals death in the soul.

Does it? Faith is not wrong. It just isn't a basis for living an entire life. "I have faith that the universe is powered by a giant squid. Evidence? Why, the milky way is in a vague-tentacle shape, and space is its black ink." nothing inherently wrong with this belief, but it is still wrong.
It's not wrong, but it's wrong?
As far as we know, the Universe might well be powered by a giant squid. It's an unfalsifiable claim.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 05, 2014, 03:46:27 pm »

The thing is once it's unfalsifiable that really means "It cannot have any effect on reality", because otherwise you'd be able to test it.  So instead of being wrong it's just irrelevant.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #911 on: October 05, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »

Well, I never said it was a sensible thing to believe.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 05, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »

If the core of "me" is my soul, and my soul is apart from reality, there's no reason to assume that death in the body equals death in the soul.

Your soul is not you as you are now, you agree? Your body is influenced by hormones/chemicals and circumstance.

So, when you die, the bit that makes you you/unique dies. Your personality dies. Maybe your memory will remain, but what does that matter? It will be like remembering thoughts from infancy.

When you die, your body rots. Your soul might be elsewhere (though my opinion is that soul and mental process are the same) but if it is, it's not you.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 05, 2014, 03:56:31 pm »

And you can't keep ignoring the arguments forever. Even the fact that you are still claiming that the soul transcends reality shows that you have yet to read the arguments we are putting forth.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 05, 2014, 03:56:56 pm »

Well, I never said it was a sensible thing to believe.

The only difference between what I said and religion is time and upbringing. Possibly a bit of literature built around it, too.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 185