Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189669 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 11:41:32 pm »

The Red Moon is involved in the sixth seal.
I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red
That sounds kindof like it's describing a simultaneous solar and lunar eclipse, which uh... hasn't happened, and isn't exactly likely to happen.

Ultimately though I'm not really willing to humour this part of the Bible, it reads like some drug-induced hallucination or dream and I don't see what it's supposed to be teaching you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2014, 11:44:06 pm »

Revelation sounds like it was a drug hallucination because it probably was. John of Patmos was exiled to the titular island, which was not particularly hospitable and may have played host to a species of highly psychoactive mushrooms. Revelation indeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2014, 12:12:35 am »

The Revelation isn't really supposed to teach any lessons. Rather, it exists as a prophecy of the Apocalypse. Personally, I don't view it as any crazier than Judges, which includes a man whose hair gives them super-strength, or the Gospels, where Jesus literally rises from the grave. Also, the Bible is believed to be inspired by God Himself, therefore whether or not St. John the Divine was partaking in substance abuse.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:37 am »

The Red Moon is involved in the sixth seal.
I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red
That sounds kindof like it's describing a simultaneous solar and lunar eclipse, which uh... hasn't happened, and isn't exactly likely to happen.

Ultimately though I'm not really willing to humour this part of the Bible, it reads like some drug-induced hallucination or dream and I don't see what it's supposed to be teaching you.
It was added to give future metal bands vivid imagery for their album covers. Because Jesus is fucking metal.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2014, 12:15:35 am »

I try to steer clear of Revelation whenever possible. Sometimes it's interesting looking at specific sections in detail, but for the most part, it's just indecipherable.

man whose hair gives them super-strength
But then Samson's hair was cut off, and he still managed to tear down a temple and kill everyone inside.

But yeah, I'm not going to deny that 90% of the Bible's stories are ridiculous.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:35 am »

... yeah, if we're talking an omnipotent/omniscient being deciding not to intervene in people's suffering to prevent their personal boredom, that's. Kinda' horrific, Cpt. Though if they're omnipotent, by all rights they should just be able to turn their boredom off, indefinitely.
If nothing bad ever happened, what would be the point of Earth? I believe humanity has free will, and that making it so nothing bad ever happened would remove that completely. Wasn't that why Satan was exiled? For trying to remove people's free will?

Being able to do anything doesn't always mean you should. He isn't going to intervene with suffering because it would invalidate life.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:19 am »

Wasn't that why Satan was exiled? For trying to remove people's free will?
In most Abrahamic traditions, Satan was cast out for refusing to kneel (in Christian traditions, to God; in Islamic traditions, to Adam).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2014, 12:33:44 am »

Being able to do anything doesn't always mean you should. He isn't going to intervene with suffering because it would invalidate life.
*shrugs* Then that makes god a complete fucking monster.

There's plenty that could be the point of earth. Life, living, art, happiness, discovery, joy, etc., etc., etc. We could have all that without stillbirths and SIDS, amongst all the other stuff that does absolutely jack shit beyond make life worse. There's a lot of misery in this world that involves no free will whatsoever. Just chance and suffering. A mother's life is not invalidated by not having to bury their newborn. A person's life is not invalidated by not being bitten by a deadly snake in their sleep. Not invalidated by not being struck by lightning, and the list goes on, and on, and on. To not intervene in things like that, when you have the power? That is explicitly equivalent to watching a child's roller go off a cliff when you have complete capability to prevent it.

As for ol' scrotch, nah, everything I'm seeing is saying the exile was because of attempted usurpation of God's power. Didn't really see anything about free will. Though, my own memories of the story are telling me lucy was cast down for refusing to bow to mankind and place itself subservient to them. Might be something local, or just getting interference from some form of non-biblical fiction. Fakedit: And then RK ninja's that. Any idea where in the text that's mentioned?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:39:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2014, 12:36:11 am »

I'm fairly sure Satan himself was a pretty minor character in the main books, and played bigger role in the fanfic.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:14 am »

*shrugs* Then that makes god a complete fucking monster.

There's plenty that could be the point of earth. Life, living, art, happiness, discovery, joy, etc., etc., etc. We could have all that without stillbirths and SIDS, amongst all the other stuff that does absolutely jack shit beyond make life worse. There's a lot of misery in this world that involves no free will whatsoever. Just chance and suffering. A mother's life is not invalidated by not having to bury their newborn. A person's life is not invalidated by not being bitten by a deadly snake in their sleep. Not invalidated by being struck by lightning, and the list goes on, and on, and on. To not intervene in things like that, when you have the power? That is explicitly equivalent to watching a child's roller go off a cliff when you have complete capability to prevent it.
Well, I don't see death as a big deal personally, and that is probably messing up what I'm saying. Because death isn't permanent. If I died today, I wouldn't just be gone.
And if nothing bad ever happened in a life, what would there be that made it good? It simply becomes neutral.

And I will also say, I was referring to things like shootings or drunk drivers in my first post. Or really anything humans directly cause, not "natural" events.

I don't know, maybe Satan is just like that in the Mormon teachings?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:53:33 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2014, 12:58:20 am »

There is such a thing as good and more good, Cp. Just because there is no bad in a given scenario, does not mean there would be no good. You can have degrees of pleasure without needing pain to validate it, and most things follow similar patterns. It's admittedly not an easy thing for the human mind to really wrap itself around -- we're very focused on binary logic -- but I see no reason why an all powerful being couldn't have instead created minds that, well, weren't like ours, in that manner. Or just let us suck it up and deal with a somewhat less immediately understandable but considerably less needlessly painful existence.

There's considerably more to it than just death, though. There's people that are born such that what life they have is unending agony and pain, and people who come to that state through no fault of their own. There is little good that can be said of an entity that allows such things. There is no gain from that. No contrast that couldn't be gained through paths that caused much, much less harm.

Even without the complete secession of bad things, though, there is still much room for the prevention of those acts of suffering which involve no free will, if you were going to go down the path that consequence of action is important. For growth of the person or whathaveyou. Or the lessening of suffering in general. You don't have to cut off a person's hand to teach them touching fire is bad, but things like that is often what happens in life.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2014, 05:14:28 am »

A religion is pick and choose in its essence. No one repect the ban on lobster (and everything that come from water and don't have scales) which is given on the same breath as the one on homosexuality. Christians sects can have less in common than sect of other faith (especially muslims) for instance, American keep babbling about the apocalypse something non existant in europe (but who make us laugh a lot, keep at it).

Now I consider modern Christianity as some Christians consider homosexuality : a sin against reason that should be frowned upon, but I don't hate Christians themselves. I just thing they are doing the wrong thing, morally and intelectually. I'm sure Chrisitans here understand the unease of homosexual around them, now.

About homosexuality in Christianity, I think it's, like monogamy, linked to stds. Priests forbade most sex, especially anal say who was always dangerous in the day of no antibiotics, E-coli infection on the dick isn't nice, and anal to vaginal can cause problems. Back in the days, Priest were the smart men.

Now that we have condoms, use them and there is no reaon not to have sex. Christians seems to be getting over it, but at the same time we're getting over Christianity, at least in Europe.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:15:59 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2014, 05:59:51 am »

I'm fairly sure Satan himself was a pretty minor character in the main books, and played bigger role in the fanfic.

Half the things that are 'common knowledge' about the bible stem from what's essentially fanfics. Not to mention that the very existence of canon means that even a century after Jesus's death, there ALREADY were piles upon piles of fanfics, so much that as far as we know we might've discarded a completely legit book or two, because some scholars decided they are fanfics and then they got lost forever.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 06:23:05 am »

I was under the impression that there were seven seals, and I do not recall the first having anything to do with the moon.

Sorry everyone drowsy me posted some not so accurate info last night
So later today (when I'm using an actual computer) I will try to post links to what i was trying to say

Sorry for the incorrect info
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:31 am »

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Why is it that sexy men having sexy sex with each other is unholy?

Well a few things
One- The sexual acts are outside of marriage so that's not ok
Two- I believe homosexual activities (the thought isn't good either bit not as bad so to speak) are a sin
Three- homosexuality serves no use and god intended it to be one woman and one man in holy matrimony

Genesis 2:22-24
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.  The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man."  For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

That is my opinion, please take no offense to it as I will try to take no offense to anyone else's opinion

Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 185