Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tod Oxaunt: Another fabulous example of emergent storytelling in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1901 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After spending about 2 hours generating worlds today, looking for the one "keeper" that was just the way I wanted, I decided to go through legends viewer looking up all the megabeasts that had died in world generation, and their killers. The vast majority seemed to have been offed by random adventurers with no prior kills to their name who were subsequently murdered after going after another megabeast. Then something caught my eye, an event titled "The rampage of Tod Oxaunt" in the events page of a hydra named Rubsit Greatestyearlings the Strong Pelt, during which Rubsit and a female human were slain. Looking at the respective pages of Tod and Rubsit, a surprisingly coherent narrative unfolded before me.

At the turn of the year 141 in the Realm of Dawn, Tod Oxaunt was a young guard (a maceman) in his home town of Runcrewed, a small, mostly quiet hamlet on the borders of the Realm of Music. His wife of nine years at that point, a hunter named Mos Slingmonks, had just given birth a baby girl, Apug Zealscorched, the couple's fourth child, all of which were alive, healthy, and not enslaved by goblins; life was good for Tod and his family, but sadly this state of affairs was not to last.

In the mid spring of that year, Rubsit Illudleteng the Strong Pelt, a hydra associated with strength, rebirth, and muck that had troubled the Realm since the dawn of time, came to Runcrewed in search of new prey. It found Mos Slingmonks, perhaps out hunting, and struck her down without mercy. How long it was before news of this tragedy reached Mos's family is not certain, but Tod saw to it that Rubsit would take no other victims. Tod confronted the beast in Runcrewed, avenging Mos in a battle that cost him his left ear, with this overarching series of events going down in history as the rampage of Tod Oxaunt.

In the 34 years between this event and the end of world-gen, Tod's life has been fairly quiet. He's pushing 55 now, with his own parents both alive and in their 90s, and more than 6 grandchildren by his eldest son, who followed in his father's footsteps, becoming a maceman guard in Runcrewed.

Bravo, Toady. Bravo. It's a simple story of monsters, murder, and vengeance, and I suspect the rampage being named for Tod is unintended (if highly fitting), but it's always nice to see events like this pop up in the legends of dwarf fortress.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:28:35 am by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Casei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's pretty awesome. The capability for DF to construct such stories, even outside of the one you're constructing with your fort/adventurer, is one of the reasons I love it so much.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

interesting that it was named the "rampage of tod oxaunt"  I would have thought the beasts killings and getting killed would have been part of the same event, which would have been named after the attacking megabeast itself.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

interesting that it was named the "rampage of tod oxaunt"  I would have thought the beasts killings and getting killed would have been part of the same event, which would have been named after the attacking megabeast itself.

As I said in the OP, I kinda suspect that's a bug, either with DF or legends viewer, but it fits, given that Tod basically went on a roaring rampage of revenge against the hydra after it killed his wife. Though in the actual game, said wife would probably have a much better chance against the hydra than a maceman, given ranged weapons are still pretty potent.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile

Does anyone know what exactly has to happen to get an event classified as a rampage?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anyone know what exactly has to happen to get an event classified as a rampage?
They seem to be, in my experience, general attacks performed that aren't invasions by a hostile entity or a quiet murder, such as vampires feeding. Common activities include killing the inhabitants, stealing items, and, if they break the defense, razing the site. They're common for (semi)megabeasts and werecreatures, although I've never heard of a normal person doing such a thing.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tod is really impressive considering how lame maces are vs Hydras.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143767.0

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile

Though in the actual game, said wife would probably have a much better chance against the hydra than a maceman, given ranged weapons are still pretty potent.

Yea, it would be interesting if fights in worldgen could be somehow simulated - but I think worldgen takes up enough cycles and memory as it is :P
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!