Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In absence of a poll, have some handy links!

Reminder: If you're comfortable with it, approximate height and weight would be good info for the character sheet
- 6 (42.9%)
Handy link to Character sheet!
- 2 (14.3%)
Handy link to map!
- 1 (7.1%)
Tropes page as well, why not.
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 427

Author Topic: If Forumites Were Stuck in an RPG (2nd thread. REBOOT COMMENCED)  (Read 289638 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

SB peers in the shop's doorway.
Black lives matter.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Starting Room

Smurf grabs his machete, pointing at anyone that comes close.

"Okay, back the fuck away, right now, and tell me where I am."
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

SB peers in the shop's doorway.

"Well well, this is a busier day than I've had in a while. How may I help you?"

"Actually, he's sorta with me, and we both probably have a lot of questions."

The man crossed his arms. "Very well, I am good at answering questions. Though I was hoping you might bring some paid work."

"Perhaps. But do you know anything about what's going on with this whole place?"

The man smiled and shook his head. "You'll find there's more questions than answers in that vein around here. Don't ask how long it's been going on either. I estimate I've been here a month or so, but most people seem to have lost track. You can ask elsewhere for theories, but I don't really have time for those myself."

"Alright, alright," HugoLuman said, a bit disappointed. He held up his wrist-device. "What about these, though?"

"Ah, might be able to help you there."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

*snip*
Starting Room
Fniff backs off, then holds out his hands in a passive gesture.

"It's cool, don't murder us with machetes!" he says. "That's rule number one in horror films. Cooperation!"

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Arcvasti decides to wander around, looking for somewhere to get his scepter identified, remembering Shotgun Lady's warning about wandering around in town with unidentified, potentially enchanted objects. He is somewhat fascinated by the local economy: Most of the stalls he sees seem to be using potions as currency, although there is also a decent amount of bartering assorted loot around. He spies a couple item identifying stalls, but the standard fee is around 1-2 potions per identification. After trawling the marketplace for around half and hour, he's close to pawning off his ourobouros book. Eventually, he spies a somewhat felinesque woman sitting on a street corner with a broken leg, holding a sign saying "Will identify items for healing.". Arcvasti approaches the cat lady

She looks up "Finally. I've been sitting here for FAR too long. What do you need indentified?"

Arcvasti holds up the onyx-tipping scepter. **This. Some room boss was carrying it. Gate guard told me to get it identified.**

"Really? I'm surprised they let you past with that thing in tow. There have been a few REALLY nasty incidents in the past with these things. Where's your healing potion? And I CAN tell if its not legit, so don't try and give me fruit juice like the last joker did."

**I'm a healer. I don't need a potion.**

The cat-lady eyes him suspiciously.

"There aren't THAT many healers here. And their abilities always come with some of the highest ability costs I've seen. You do your part of the deal first. Then we'll see about identifying that scepter."

Arcvasti sighs and gestures at the cat-lady, activating his healing powers. Immediately, a searing pain floods through his leg. Its not nearly as bad as a broken leg in the real world would be, but it still hurts. He starts leaning noticeably on the scepter.

"You ARE a healer. Why aren't you using your abilities for profit like the rest of..."

The cat-lady notices his leg.

"Ah. That wouldn't work very well, would it."

She stands up.

"Let me have a closer look at that scepter."

She takes the scepter, runs her fingers along it and then hands it back.

"Its enchanted. Not malevolently. Seems to be a low-powered personal temporal enchantment of some kind. Sends you back in time a few seconds. You activate it by channeling one of your abilities into it and paying whatever cost is attached to the spent ability."

**That would definitely explain some of the oddities of the thing I fought for this.**

Arcvasti glances down at his newly broken leg.

**Judging from your state when I found you, I take it healing items are expensive. So I'll be stuck with this for a while.**

"Yeah, probably. Although you have a better chance of getting loot then *I* do, being a more useful combat class. And there IS a sort of hospital around here where you could get it splinted for free. I could show you there."

Arcvasti and the cat-lady walk/limp for a while in silence.

**Out of idle curiousity: How did you end up with the... well.**

He gestures at her non-human form.

She pulls a face.

"You know why potions are the main item traded around here? Most of them have effects that vary from person to person. A healing potion for one person might be a poison for another or induce paralysis or a thousand other effects. Including transformative ones. Drank one not long after I got here that did this. This is a pretty mild case compared to some unknown potion mishaps I've seen. That's where I come in: My class is Sage. At my level, I can identify some types of items merely by touch and others by expending more time and effort."

**Do you have any idea how long you've been here? Or how you got here?**

She shook her head.

"Not really. I'd guess a couple weeks, although it feels like more then that. No idea how I got here."

**Were you ever on Bay12forums?**

"The DF forums? No. I did play DF quite a bit, but I never went on the forums."

She points at a nearby building.

"Well, there's the hospital. Doesn't have any healers or potions, but they do their best. If you ever need something identified, come my way. My stall is near the river."

The cat-lady walks off, leaving Arcvasti to limp into the hospital.

***                                                                                                                                ***

After maybe 10-15 minutes, Arcvasti limps back out, leg splinted, leaning heavily on his scepter. It was probably time to meet back up with the others. He sighed. It was going to be a LONG limp back to the square.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile

Starting Room

GentlemanRaptor stumbles out of the pod, looking bleary-eyed.

"Ow, fuck, my head. What the-who are you, and why are you brandishing a machete?" he inquires.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"You'd better, or...
I'll, uh.. poke you with my gun."
Black lives matter.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starting Room

GentlemanRaptor stumbles out of the pod, looking bleary-eyed.

"Ow, fuck, my head. What the-who are you, and why are you brandishing a machete?" he inquires.
Fniff steps slightly closer to the person who is not brandishing a large blade. He roots around in his satchel, and to his surprise finds a rather weathered claw hammer with a yellow handle. He brandishes it in a way he probably thinks is "menacing".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Fniff steps slightly closer to the person who is not brandishing a large blade. He roots around in his satchel, and to his surprise finds a rather weathered claw hammer with a yellow handle. He brandishes it in a way he probably thinks is "menacing".
(That's the kind that can pull out out nails right?)

"You'd better, or...
I'll, uh.. poke you with my gun."
The bearded man calmly pushes SB's gun away, then shows his own wrist device. "Everyone has one of these. Except NPCs, who you can discern by their lack of one, though they're generally not allowed within the walls. They're very difficult to lose, seemingly indestructible, and have been known to stay comfortably strapped on even through polymorphs, or to find their way back even after having the limb they're attached to severed. No one knows who made them or how they work, but they seem serve three important functions. One, they offer a status readout to their owners and provide alerts to small changes in that status.

"Right, we've already seen that."

"Two, they provide the means for selecting new abilities when they become available."

"Yeah, also alr-"

"And three," said the man, displeased at the interruption. "they seem to grant us the ability to open dungeon doors. There have been reports of NPCs doing it, but in general they seem unable or unwilling to leave the room they're found in until someone opens a path for them."

"Sounds like there's some doubt there."

"Perhaps. But as far as I know, you can use it as a rule of thumb. Anything else?"

"These classes and abilities... do they do anything really impressive?"

"Hmm. We've recorded over 400 classes so far, from people that have come through here. Some of them are dupes. Some are really similar but differ by a few abilities. Some seem to share the same name but have different abilities, though reports are murky whether they have the same spelling. Regardless, people seem to find them useful, if not to themselves at least to each other. I've heard of some impressive things at high levels, like petrification, but not many people have attained high levels. Mostly because people are too afraid of dying and having to start over, and thus don't go out adventuring, or those that do get unlucky after a while."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SB frowns.
"Who cares if you die? When you respawn you can just get your gear back and grind to your level again. 'S not like Sword Art Online or some stupid shit like that."
Black lives matter.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Town

Zanzetkuken wandered through the town, creating a mental map of the area.  As she passed through the market, she took the opportunity to observe weapon costs, and noticed the steep prices.  It was likely going to be some time before she, or any of the others, could upgrade their weaponry, much less gain armor outside of loot.  Throughout her wanderings, she noticed some looks being cast her way, to which she thought, as while focusing on concealing her embarrassment,  'Why did I have to come back as a girl?  Seriously, what is up with that respawn system?'

After a time, she noticed she felt as if she was drawn to a certain building.  It was apparently a shop, but when she entered, there wasn't really any merchandise, and that which was there had a thin layer of dust upon it.  She walked up to what she assumed was the front desk and asked, "Hello...?  Anyone here?"

When there was a lack of response, she turned to leave, wondering why she had decided to come here in the first place, and in doing so, she noticed the door was shut.  Thinking back, she did not remember closing it, so she looked around nervously, asking again, "...hello?"

She heard something shift behind her, so she rapidly turned around, instinctively beginning to throw a punch, the blade activating as it was thrown.  Her hand was caught in a vice like grip of a entity covered in robes, having gloved hands and the face obscured by shadows.  She stiffened in fear when it began to speak.  "It is rare that a person comes in here," the being stated emotionlessly, shifting its hand somewhat to cause the blade to deactivate.  He then slid the gauntlet back to Zanzetkuken's weak protests, revealing the Ouroboros upon the back of her hand.  "Much less one that carries a Dragon Mark."

The entity released her hand, which made Zanzetkuken draw it back towards herself.  She worked up the courage to ask, "Who are you?"

"That is the solitary piece of information I do not pass out freely," the robed being replied.

"What should I call you then?" Zanzetkuken asked.

"You have not heard mention of what I am called?" the being replied.

Working up a slight bit more resolve, she continued, "I am new to this...place."

The being gave off a satisfied sound that made Zanzetkuken think that it was smirking.  "Ah, one of the new groups.  First batch in around six years.  Though, its only been three months for the first batch," it said, cryptically.  "You may refer to me as 'the Silent Watcher'.  I know all about this place and occasionally meet up with one of the players to answer three questions.  That is all I shall tell you without using up one of your asks."

Zanzetkuken almost blurted out, "So...like a djinn?", but caught herself.  For all she knew, that could be counted.  She thought for a short time before asking, "What do you mean by 'players'?"

"That is what you are," the being replied.  "Each individual brought in is a player of the Great Game."

Zanzetkuken then asked, "How do you win the Great Game?"

"A player must defeat their 'Administrator' in solo combat and make the selection to stay in the game or escape."

Zanzetkuken thought for a longer time before finally asking, while pointing at the Ouroboros.  "What is this mark?"

The being made another satisfied smirk, before replying, "it signifies that you are a friend of the Dragons, and are an enemy of the currently most prevalent religion among non-dragons outside of this town, at roughly seventy percent.  Within the town, they compose thirty percent, with only a couple being extremists.  It also marks that your body and soul is treated as being that of a Dragon when exposed to magic.  Finally, in desperate times, it grants a couple of active and one passive to help you live."

It shifted posture, saying, "that was your last question."  After which, it snapped its fingers and appeared to disintegrate.  Looking behind her, Zanzetkuken saw the door was open once again, and took the opportunity to discreetly leave, making certain to hide the mark extremely well.  She soon began searching for any other member of the group, heading in the general direction of the plaza.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:13:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile

"Hey, hey. Let's talk this out, alright? Actually, I have a question. What were you doing before you showed up here?"

GentlemanRaptor unslings his rifle and begins loading the magazine while he waits for answers.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Spoiler: sorry I'm late (click to show/hide)

Kyle wanders over to the rest of the group looking shitfaced.
"I found a tavern guysh!"

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Kyle wanders over to the rest of the group looking shitfaced.
"I found a tavern guysh!"

(If you would notice, everyone is scattered around the town.  Only 'group' where you're at is composed of two people, Hugo and Bowtie.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(That's the kind that can pull out out nails right?)
(Yep, and hammer them in.)
Starting Area
{Do people talk things out with a gun? Actually, if both sides have guns, that almost makes things safer... except no-one here has any guns. Oh dear. I'm going to have to tread really lightly.}

"I was on the computer, playing Don't Starve when I blacked out and woke up here?" said Fniff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 427