Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Martial arts preferred style: Western vs Eastern  (Read 4200 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Martial arts preferred style: Western vs Eastern
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

I'm thinking of learning a martial art for self defense and general fun with friends
I am putting a lot of consideration into western martial arts over Eastern since I have zero agility and don't think I can pull it off, but I think I could do well in boxing of grappling

What is your preference?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Martial arts preferred style: Western vs Eastern
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »

You couldn't have asked this in your Melee combat thread?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:10 pm »

That was made more for weapons than for actual hand to hand
Considering the many different hand to hand styles I wanted this to be just for that, and I needed a little help deciding on what martial art to choose so I thought this would bring more attention to the question than putting on the other thread where everyone is argueing about katanas

I will move this over there if everyone thinks I should though

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:38:47 pm »

If you need martial arts for self-defence, you're not carrying around enough guns. You need to carry around more guns, Cryxis.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »

That's a great idea
A highschooler walking around armed to the teeth with guns

Ok so I do believe that guns are great
But I need something I can bring to school without causing a nation wide panic
Something that I know will let me hold my own in a fight
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:47:08 pm by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:16 pm »

I would like to know what precisely is pushing you to look for self defense courses, but you are under no obligation to answer that.  That said, most martial arts are basically the same, you concentrate on not being hit, and successfully hitting the other person(s), so almost any will do for the basics.  I'm not sure that you'll really get away from the need to be agile in combat, as everything in combat is reliant on momentum, from punches and kicks to blocks and dodges.  As the 'east' vs. 'west', it's going to boil down to personal taste and style, like to hurt people?  US special forces HtoH or any of a variety of eastern types.  Rather just take them out of the fight?  You might like judo or wrestling.  Need to deal with multiple opponents?  Sorry, most martial arts don't really try to teach this concept until you've devoted a lot of time to the basics.  I don't think you'll get a better opinion here than from trying a few things yourself.  Hell, I learned mostly on the street, tho' I did try a few arts out, the only one I stuck with as long as I could was Shin-kendo, and that's a pure sword art, no hand to hand.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »

The hardest part about martial arts IMO is finding a teacher who is willing to teach you or guide you.

A lot of martial arts that I see pretty much leave you to fend for yourself and only even attempt to give you instruction years later... unless you are a prodigy or something.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:03:32 pm by Neonivek »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »

Well I used to be bullied and had nothing to protect myself
I'm not anymore but I don't want to get thrown into that rut ever again
Also my friends love doing sparing matches with many different martial arts (not calling it MMA cause everyone sticks to roughly one that they prefer)
I do like boxing and think that the most important thing in a fight would be to either
A) beat the other person into submission or
B) injure them in a way that keeps them from fighting

Those two would be in a real fight not a sparing match

I also like the idea of grappling, where all I need to do is pick them up and throw or grab and appendage and pull unless I have a very tainted idea of what grappling is

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:10:20 pm »

Grappling is mostly restricted to holds and locks, but some throws are included, Judo is a prime example, as is Greco-Roman style wrestling, neither are very good at quick disables tho' (unless you are really, really, damn fast).  I'm not much help when it comes to limited destructiveness in close combat, my creed is to stop them from ever being able to fight me again, through a combination of intimidation and maiming.  Most courses offered as 'self defense' won't go into the actual mechanics of defeating an opponent, they are mostly marketed to at-risk groups as a last-ditch option if they are attacked.  If you are looking to do real damage in a bind, look at what dojos are in your area, and find one that fits your criterion.  If you're looking for serious ability to inflict damage so as to be a real threat, and are in the Lansing, Mi. area, you could PM me and I could teach you some of the more important elements of combat, but I don't ascribe to any one school, and I don't teach professionally.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »

I can recommend the American Kenpo school pretty highly. It focuses on quick strikes and a strong defensive stance, so it's fairly different from the other schools mentioned so far, and is primarily seen as excellent for self-defense. I stopped taking classes last summer when I moved to second shift, but I earned a blue belt in the 7 or 8 months I did it, and I'd do it again without a doubt.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:37 pm »

Grappling is mostly restricted to holds and locks, but some throws are included, Judo is a prime example, as is Greco-Roman style wrestling, neither are very good at quick disables tho' (unless you are really, really, damn fast).  I'm not much help when it comes to limited destructiveness in close combat, my creed is to stop them from ever being able to fight me again, through a combination of intimidation and maiming.  Most courses offered as 'self defense' won't go into the actual mechanics of defeating an opponent, they are mostly marketed to at-risk groups as a last-ditch option if they are attacked.  If you are looking to do real damage in a bind, look at what dojos are in your area, and find one that fits your criterion.  If you're looking for serious ability to inflict damage so as to be a real threat, and are in the Lansing, Mi. area, you could PM me and I could teach you some of the more important elements of combat, but I don't ascribe to any one school, and I don't teach professionally.

How long do you plan on living in michigan
An odd question I know but I might be going to college there in a couple years and would probably still be interested in learning a thing or two

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

I'll be here for at least two more years, depending on my wife's progress on her doctorate.  The things I can teach you are mostly related to thought process and comprehension of 'flow', I don't feel comfortable trying to teach anyone my 'style' as it is not pretty, and it has only sheer brutality to commend it.  If that ends up lining up with your entering school, I can probably get across most of what I have to offer in a few weeks (dependent on your basic aptitude and comprehension).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:40 pm »

I'll be here for at least two more years, depending on my wife's progress on her doctorate.  The things I can teach you are mostly related to thought process and comprehension of 'flow', I don't feel comfortable trying to teach anyone my 'style' as it is not pretty, and it has only sheer brutality to commend it.  If that ends up lining up with your entering school, I can probably get across most of what I have to offer in a few weeks (dependent on your basic aptitude and comprehension).
Cryxis - while I realise it's really late and my sarcasm detection is dulled so I can't tell for sure if you are making fun of him or not - but this guy is all boast and no butter. If you're serious about learning martial arts, go to a real instructor, not somebody who claims to have learnt fighting "on the streets". Internet tough guys won't get you very far.
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »

Scriver, that was simply uncalled for, you do not know me, ad you cannot make that assertion until you have actually met me.  I am honestly hurt by these words, and I am very sorry that I have presented myself in such a way that you would feel it necessary to insult me.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »

No but a finding a couple tricks wouldn't hurt

I'm not expecting to meet this guy and be a prize fighter

And as it seems, I probabably will never meet him
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5