Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inheritance might be working now.  (Read 1677 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inheritance might be working now.
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »

I just had something awful happen to my fort early in my first year.  My cook, being the rightful heir, just inherited a Dukedom.

Although retraining isn't that bad this early in the fort, having to deal with such a high ranking noble is going to be hard.

No idea if this affects in-fortress heirs, but this popped up out of the blue.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Inheritance might be working now.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »

Inheritance has been working (mostly) as intended since 40.01. I'm not sure if the difficulty of having a noble expecting fully-furnished royal bedrooms right at the start is an intended mechanic, but there are plenty of possible solutions to their unreasonable demands if you are so inclined.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:29:15 pm »

I just had something awful happen to my fort early in my first year.  My cook, being the rightful heir, just inherited a Dukedom.

Although retraining isn't that bad this early in the fort, having to deal with such a high ranking noble is going to be hard.

No idea if this affects in-fortress heirs, but this popped up out of the blue.

I had a dwarf inherit the crown a few releases ago.  That was a royal pain.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »

Imagine if you arranged an accident for a king, on;y to discover that he had three children in the fort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:45:01 am »

I had a fortress in v.40.08 where my founding miner became queen of my civilization soon after the start of year two. I was constantly under siege by goblins and it wasn't until about year four that I was able to get a 'liason' and caravan in. Apparently the goblins had been doing a good job of conquering our sites over the past few years, though mine was still going strong what with its steadfastly closed gates.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:52:25 pm »

Even though this issue has been marked as resolved, a few items of note, that I've seen.

If you have multiple Dwarven civs, it matters which one you embark FROM, on the Embark finder screen.  You have to select the "right" one, if there are multiples.  Why?

So far, in every test I've done, If there is even one goblin in that civ in a noble position, you'll get a new king from your starting 7.  It seems like there is some kind of bug that allows goblins to be nobles during worldgen but not during fortress mode.

Possible explanation?  You embark, and your civ now has everything except a king (because he's a goblin?), so you get a king appointed.

It's annoying as hell, and I really wish goblins were not permitted as nobles in this new version, at all, ever.  It's a massive pain in the ass suddenly getting a king with no infrastructure to support them.  >:(  Not fun.

If you embark from the proper civ, that is, one that has no goblin nobles, everything will proceed as expected/normal.  You can see if your civ has goblins in forts if you (p) Export image/info after worldgen, before Accepting the world, and examining the region?-*-world_sites_and_pops.txt file. in the DF install directory.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »

If you have multiple Dwarven civs, it matters which one you embark FROM, on the Embark finder screen.  You have to select the "right" one, if there are multiples.  Why?

So far, in every test I've done, If there is even one goblin in that civ in a noble position, you'll get a new king from your starting 7.  It seems like there is some kind of bug that allows goblins to be nobles during worldgen but not during fortress mode.

Does this only apply when there are multiple civs? Because mine has a goblin queen and several goblin barons, and I haven't had any problems with that.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »

... Does this only apply when there are multiple civs? Because mine has a goblin queen and several goblin barons, and I haven't had any problems with that.
Not that I've seen, no.  In every 0.40.x for, for me:
If the civ I'm embarking from (either being the only one in the world, or one of many) has goblins in any fort in it, you will get a king appointed.
I've never not seen that be the case, within 1 season after embark, in vanilla DF.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »

Huh. My goblins have been there for years without issues.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »

Inheritance has been working (mostly) as intended since 40.01. I'm not sure if the difficulty of having a noble expecting fully-furnished royal bedrooms right at the start is an intended mechanic, but there are plenty of possible solutions to their unreasonable demands if you are so inclined.

For what it's worth I've seen very little negatives from not furnishing an inherited noble quickly. In my forts where this has happened I've spent maybe 2-3 years slowly working on their furnishings and things have been fine. Pretty much so long as you get them an office, bedroom, tomb, and dining room of any non-meager quality they'll be ok for quite a while. I think a lot of the negative thoughts come about from things like being jealous of another noble's accommodations and what not which doesn't really apply when you get a king before a mayor. With an early monarch, especially since they work and travel around a lot, the negative from substandard conditions are balanced out by good thoughts of your fortress' furnishings, having mandates completed, and doing other tasks that boost morale.

zane314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:44 pm »

I have a bunch of goblins as my nobles (and king), and I haven't inherited the position.

That said, currently there's a bug/feature that any invasions are successful, so if you embark from a civ that only has one fort, and goblins raid it, you'll inherit the kingship.

Having run a fort where I got a very early king, I can state with confidence that nobles have bad thoughts from "slept in a horribly substandard bedroom lately", but good thoughts from "admired their furniture lately" can counter act it. I got my King's bedroom/office/tomb/dining room up to "Great" and that was sufficient to keep him reasonably happy, despite him demanding Royal.