Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your favorite feature of your embark?  (Read 1505 times)

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is your favorite feature of your embark?
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:57:18 pm »

So, my question is as above, what feature from your embark has been your favorite, whether it is because it is simply funny, FUN, or just plain awesome.

I just embarked on a Terrifying mountain set with Joyous Wild plains mixed embark. It just started raining in the mountains...dwarf blood. I am quite happy with that, I believe it bodes well for my fortress!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite feature of your embark?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »

My favourite part was in my most recent embark is the roc nest, which is, oddly, sealed. I didn't know it was there, I used DFHack reveal, then I saw rocs in there. Hallway lined with cage traps, anyone?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:28:23 pm »

I have a 30z level canyon with a waterfall that I built into the walls of, in 0.34.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:32:50 am »

My favorite feature of mine is an aquifer layer that covers everything but the small patch of mountain in the corner.

My dwarves travel quite far just to get andesite and hematite ore back to the main keep.

Defending the supply route has proved quite entertaining so far.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:39:16 pm »

It just started raining in the mountains...dwarf blood. I am quite happy with that, I believe it bodes well for my fortress!

Depends on the blood group compatibility.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:59 pm »

It just started raining in the mountains...dwarf blood. I am quite happy with that, I believe it bodes well for my fortress!

Depends on the blood group compatibility.

There's only 2 groups of dwarf blood... Inside and outside the body. Most !!scientists!! Are only interested in the latter
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »

Just had a thought for science, it rains very often here in that part of the world! I want to try to harness this dwarven blood! How might I go about creating a method to create small ponds and eventually lakes or a moat of this dwarven blood it rains, will it scare my dwarfs?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:04:40 pm »

It's probably just a generic material. Non-water/lava liquids can't form actual pools and flow. No one will be horrified by it because it doesn't belong to anyone they know. (And they might not, even if it did.)
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 01:07:05 am »

You can still use it to give them bleak "Doesn't care about anything anymore" outlooks, which I imagine would have the same effect. Blood rain counts as "freakish weather" and if there's no syndromes attached you can safely use it to mildly upset your dwarves over and over again until they stop giving a damn.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:03 am »

You can still use it to give them bleak "Doesn't care about anything anymore" outlooks, which I imagine would have the same effect. Blood rain counts as "freakish weather" and if there's no syndromes attached you can safely use it to mildly upset your dwarves over and over again until they stop giving a damn.

This is a brilliant idea.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

Baby Toes Succulent
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:30 pm »

I'm enjoying my river, specifically the fact that sieges always spawn on the other side of it. It's like a giant moat I didn't have to build.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:52:18 pm »

I like when I go for a totally flat embark, and the whole embark is flat except for a nice, rounded 4-10 z-level high mini-mountain on the map :> Its fun trying to cram your whole fort into a small hill like that :) I like waterfalls too, not for the actual fall but for the canyon it inevitably makes..

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »

Absolutely flat glacier, female polar bear on map at start. Unfortunately piercing the cavern layers bumps up the fortress wealth a ton and results in ridiculously large migrant waves. Which is occasionally hilarious when the migrant wave comes out next to a yeti.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 06:30:18 pm »

Absolutely flat glacier, female polar bear on map at start.

That is almost exactly like my new one! Except the polar bear in mine was a zombie...
Pages: [1] 2