Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature Materials, and getting them working  (Read 960 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Creature Materials, and getting them working
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »

Hello, with the seperate attack/move speeds (albiet implemented differently than I imagined) I decided to give one of my old creatures another try.  I went well enough, since he was already defined, but Im having an issue getting him to stop smearing 'n/a' all over the place.  Ive determined it is the fluid that carries the syndrome and should be found under the gizzard, because rendering that material invalid makes the smears of 'n/a' disappear.  Ive tried a few times to fix it, to no avail

The raw for it, as it stands now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am convinced this is the section giving me trouble:

It also seems to have wooden teeth, indicated by a severely weakened bite.  Not that I have a huge problem with  it (well, Id like it to be able to puncture skin b y biting) but I did not specify that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Materials, and getting them working
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »

One problem is that you defined the BLOOD material using a template, then applied it to the special BLOOD tissue, then made changes to the BLOOD material.

Doesn't explain "n/a" though, because that is usually reserved for an undefined state name (such as liquid MUD).

The BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS looks like it's missing a couple parameters.  You're using CARTILAGE for "skin", MUSCLE for "fat" and BONE for "muscle" and I don't know what the game is doing for "bone" or "cartilage."  Maybe you want to use the exoskeletal plan instead?

As for the ACID, it looks like you are trying to USE_TISSUE:ACID in the middle of defining the ACID tissue.  Is the error log complaining about that?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

errorlog is clean. I've been rearranging tokens for a while now,  though.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:19:39 am »

Hooboy, okay, some definite issues:

- You're using vertebrate tissue layers in the wrong order. Set tissue layer (with the skin and bone) doesn't work how you think it works. Vertebrate tissue template doesn't include eyestalks, that's in the insect template.

- Did you define your new tags PLANT_2PARTBODY, PLANT_MOUTH and CHOMPERS to have the correct material and tissue layers?

- Your tissue and material tokens are just all over the place. If you're using STATE_NAME for example it has to be directly under the tissue or material definition.

- In a lot of places you're selecting tissues and then not doing anything with them

- Why did you define the plant alcohol template twice?

- Why do you have USE_TISSUE in a syndrome material definition?

- Your syndrome isn't defined properly, it's USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NEW NAME:TEMPLATE. Then you use NEW NAME in your secretions, acid spits, etc.

- I'm guessing your teeth are CHOMPERS and you have a seperate body plan file. What material is it set to? If it's anything but ARG3 or a specific material like TOOTH, it's likely you're making the thing's teeth out of cartilage or muscle.

- You have two PUNCH attacks defined, rename one of them

- You don't need to select all castes and then select all materials. You can just do select all materials

- NOBONES tag and yet your creature has bones defined (not 100% sure if this affects your creature body but I'm moderately certain it does)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »

- Why do you have USE_TISSUE in a syndrome material definition?
Was trying to get it to work by playing with it.

I went down both of your lists and I got the thing to produce 'alcohol' that is green.  Which is a step in the proper direction.  Thank you guys.  I suppose if I do get it running proper Ill repost it.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »

Okay.  Thank you all.  The one problem left, barring a botch in testing it in arena and in worldgen, is its eyecolor token.  I dont know why, but deleting this '[gold:1] makes the next color in line error.  I don't get it . . .

---

okay, more work, and I think I understand why I was screwing up.

He's complete.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:09:33 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!