Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For Great Justice! - A Roman politics RTD  (Read 3800 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
For Great Justice! - A Roman politics RTD
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:37 am »

Welcome to the city of Rome! In the Roman... era... or something.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Political intrigue abounds. The Emperor is a cranky and impotent old bastard. Various nobles throughout the city - and the empire - seek to knock him off and take over. Rome is on the brink of civil war.
You, my dear players, will take the role of lowly soldiers members of the Praetorian Guard, the Emperor's elite defenders. It's up to you to decide which sides you're going to take.

You wake up.

I'm not going to set a hard limit on the number of players, other than "not too many". If you want to join, post your character sheet and I'll either put you into play or consign you to the depths of the waitlist.

You open your eyes. Sunlight is streaming through the window.

For the character sheets, post:
- Your character's name
- A brief description of their appearance
Their stats, with ten points distributed among:
- Strength, defined as the size of your muskles and how many hits you can take.
- Agility, which determines quickness and dexterity and stuff like that.
- Intellect, a measure of how many smarts you have.
- Charisma, an indicator of your attractiveness and force of personality.

You're lying on a straw bed in the Praetorian Barracks. You sit up.

When you take an action, I will make a d20 roll to determine your successfulness. Depending on the action, I will add one of your attribute scores (intellect, strength, etc) to the result. This doesn't apply to mundane actions.
If you spend a lot of time beating the snot out of people, I might grant you an extra point of Strength. If you're using a sword, you might also gain a skill bonus to using swords.
Skill bonuses are like attribute bonuses, but only apply in very specific circumstances, such as defenestration or open heart surgery.

The door swings open, and the captain of your division walks in. Everyone around you jumps to attention.

This is my first non-minimalist RTD, so please berate me for any crappiness.

That's not right... the captain looks... sheepish?

You can take multiple actions per turn, but you'll receive penalties.

A man pushes past the captain. You recognise him immediately. It's Octavius Mutinus, commander of the Praetorian Guard. He opens his mouth to speak.
"So here's the thing. Emperor Flavius Geraldia is a weak old sod. He can barely protect himself, let alone all of Rome.
Make no mistake. What I am proposing is treason. If we fail, we will be thrown to the lions.
But for the good of Rome - and ourselves - I am calling you now to join me, and remove Geraldia's bony old behind from the seat of power."
The atmosphere is electric. An unnerving silence has filled the room. Then the captain starts talking. He draws himself up to his full height - just over five feet - and begins."
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that... sir."
He reaches for his sword. Some of the other Praetorians are also reaching for their weapons. Everyone is standing on a knife edge.

What do you do?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:12:35 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: For Great Justice! - A Roman politics RTD
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:21 am »

Spoiler: Notable NPCs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Participating Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Woeful Waitlisters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:13:19 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:40 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

You didn't say how many points we have.

Oops,my mistake,it's just distinctly unobvious in appearance.

Also give me a minute to find a more Roman sounding name.

Done.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:53:11 am by blazing glory »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:43 am »

Name: Severus
Description: Scary, scarred and ugly as hell bastard. Black-haired, with sharply hooked nose and terrifying facial features. Descedent of a barbaric tribe assimilated into romans, he possess beastly instincts and loves violence. Not quite reliable person, since he likes to drink a lor, gamble a lot and venture into sertain temples. A lot.
Strength: 4
Agility: 4
Intellect: 2
Charisma: 0
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

blazing glory

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:54 am »

Septimus speaks, steel in his voice.

Commander, or,I should say,Octavius,I cannot let you do that.

Move closer to the captain,be ready to counter any attacks.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:53 am »

Name: Emputus Dovian Ecrocia (Not, and I repeat, not to sound like 'erotica', Ero-shia is how you should say it.)
Appearance: Tan and well built, the crinkles around his eyes may cause people to mistake him for being a slow kind giant, but there's a reason he exists as a roman guard...
Agility:3
Intellect:3
Charisma:0

Stand between the commander and Septimus
Hold on, this is something no-one would want to do without reason.
Emptus turns to his commander.
Why do you really want the emperor dead? no-one speaks for the good cause with questionable acts without their own reasoning behind it, what do you have to gain?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:02:57 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 05:17:56 am »

Four seems like enough players for now. People can still post sheets, but I'll stick you on the waitlist and you'll be held in stasis until someone else dies/quits.

Once Lucius and Severus post their actions for this turn, I'll get started.

blazing glory

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:36 am »

Four seems like enough players for now. People can still post sheets, but I'll stick you on the waitlist and you'll be held in stasis until someone else dies/quits.

Four players seems a bit like a hard limit.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:03 am »

Silence. Five is too many.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:58 am »

Severus stands, arms crossed on his chest.

"Let's not turn this to open bloodshed yet. It is perfectly fine to use bare fists to resolve this simple matter."

((I thought we would accept more than four players.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 06:42:25 am »

Name: Julius Shebus Maximus
Appearance: A powerful ebony-black man from Nubia, Julius stand just over 6'3'' tall. His head is shaved.
Agility:2
Intellect:2
Charisma:2

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 07:36:35 am »

Appearance: A powerful ebony-black man from Nubia, Julius stand just over 6'3'' tall. His head is shaved.

Pretty sure Nubians weren't part of the Roman Empire.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Therefore:
I'll add you to the waitlist. I'm only going to object to historical inaccuracies if they're blatantly impossible. Like if you say that you were a companion in Alexander the Great's army. Or you're from Atlantis. Nubia, however, is not that far from Rome, so I'll allow it.

((I thought we would accept more than four players.))
The main reason is that I probably can't keep track of more than four.

Septimus speaks, steel in his voice.
Commander, or,I should say,Octavius,I cannot let you do that.
Move closer to the captain,be ready to counter any attacks.
You move closer and ready your weapon.

Stand between the commander and Septimus
Hold on, this is something no-one would want to do without reason.
Emptus turns to his commander.
Why do you really want the emperor dead? no-one speaks for the good cause with questionable acts without their own reasoning behind it, what do you have to gain?
The captain watches you incredulously.

Approach the Commander, and also look around for any exits that he could take should things turn sour.
"Yeah, why not hear your side of the story?"
[13+5 INT] The door he came through is the most obvious exit. He's standing right in front of it.

Severus stands, arms crossed on his chest.
"Let's not turn this to open bloodshed yet. It is perfectly fine to use bare fists to resolve this simple matter."
A couple of other soldiers laugh awkwardly, and a few more toss down their swords.

Commander Octavius Mutinus scans the room.
"Very well. What do I have to gain? Nothing. After Geraldia is deposed, Lord Decius Dama will take his place, not me. My place is here, alongside you, my brothers, as we fight to preserve this great empire.
"If you will not join me, that is your decision. You will be relieved from duty and given a handsome sum to feed and clothe yourselves as you return to a civilian life."
He fold his arms behind his back, and looks at the ceiling.
"If you stand against me, be aware that the seven other divisions of the Guard have already sworn themselves to me. That is a fight you are not going to win."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

"Well, if the change means war, I'll welcome it with my trusty axe into forehead. Whoever is right, you have my strength for now, Commander."

Severus came closer to Septimus, knowing allegiance of the latter a bit too well. His hideous visage twisted, showing a kind of sympathetic grin:

"No point in fighting brother against brother 'till death. Go now, while you still can. It's not too late."

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »

*shrug*, there's going to be something you refuse to tell us here, but for now I trust you.

Now, what about you, Septimus?

let's just take out my blade here.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: [1] 2