Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So are cage traps and mass pitting over now? !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 7870 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: So are cage traps and mass pitting over now? !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 10:50:32 pm »

I doubt that. AFAIK, a cage will always be emptied when brought to the depot, no matter what is in it. I even managed to get a dwarf corpse out of a cage, so it became available for burial, by using this method.
Not true.

If the thing is actually sellable they'll take it, but they dump out things that can't be sold, including but not limited to enraged goblins with whips...
This, however, is definitely true. The only types of creatures which are sellable are ones which are tameable (i.e. having [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC]) - anything else will be removed from its cage if you try to bring it to the depot.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »

Urist McPeasant: Boss says we gots to take this cage to the trade depot.
Obok McHauler: Fine, but those humans ain't goin' to want to buy that goblin lasher what's inside.
Urist: Good point, better let 'im out first.
Obok: Right-o, guvn'r!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »

Maybe one day Toady will fix this for civs that have slavery acceptable under their raws.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »

Yeah, I just take everything they have equipped, then chuck them in a pit with a bear. Sometimes, the fall breaks a leg. Sometimes they are already missing limbs. Either way, whoever is eating in the dining room gets dinner and a show.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Treefingers

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:02 pm »

Anyone know offhand whether "animal hauling" can be used to choose which dwarves do the pitting? Wiki ways it's for moving cages and caged animals, but I'm not sure whether pitting an animal counts as acting on a caged or uncaged animal (or if it's something else entirely). If no one knows, I can do some scientificating. Restricting pit access would be super useful for figuring out whether some dwarves are better at pitting than others.

In other news, I've got a fort with a few different caging area designs and I'm keeping track of escape rates to see if any of them are noticeably better.

Yeah, I just take everything they have equipped, then chuck them in a pit with a bear. Sometimes, the fall breaks a leg. Sometimes they are already missing limbs. Either way, whoever is eating in the dining room gets dinner and a show.
From what I've seen so far, naked gobbos are just as likely to escape as fully-equipped ones. The naked ones just have a much tougher time wrecking up the place afterwards. And the new rules about climbing might call for an arena redesign. That is, unless you want some audience participation. ;)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 08:23:05 pm »

Maybe one day Toady will fix this for civs that have slavery acceptable under their raws.
Would it matter whether the humans will buy slaves if the dwarves aren't willing to sell them?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »

Would it matter whether the humans will buy slaves if the dwarves aren't willing to sell them?
You could always mod them to be willing.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:25:32 pm »

You could always mod them to be willing.
If you're gonna mod them, why not just make goblins tameable?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »

It's not just for modding. We may be getting more random civ ethics in the future and it wouldn't make sense for those opposed to slavery to sell a sentient just because somebody 'tamed' them. We need these things less hardcoded and more dependent on the civ raws.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:51:33 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:37 am »

It's not just for modding. We may be getting more random civ ethics in the future and it wouldn't make sense for those opposed to slavery to sell a sentient just because somebody 'tamed' them. We need these things less hardcoded and more dependent on the civ raws.
I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore, can we go back to the actual thread topic and try to discuss pitting rather than talking about how to make dwarves sell goblins to merchants?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:27 am »

Well, the good news is that Toady is pretty confident the prisoner-leading attack bug is fixed for 40.11:
Dwarves leading goblin prisoners around appear to continue to be attacked by dwarven soldiers, and I might have fixed that again, but it needs some testing.
The goblin-prisoner-leading saves checked out, and...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »

Well, the good news is that Toady is pretty confident the prisoner-leading attack bug is fixed for 40.11:
Dwarves leading goblin prisoners around appear to continue to be attacked by dwarven soldiers, and I might have fixed that again, but it needs some testing.
The goblin-prisoner-leading saves checked out, and...

Yus!  Finally, the return of easy-to-build goblin archery ranges!

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »

can you put full cages in minecarts? Shooting your prisoners with a dwarven shotgun seems like a fun and potentially !!FUN!! way to deal with the problem.

I've used a two-stage shotgun for an automatic cage-cleaning / prisoner management system. I set up a secondary stockpile that took from my main stockpile and only accepted the kinds of critters I wanted to pit. I stripped goblinite there, then sent them for a minecart ride.

You can vary the speed & drop height depending on whether you want your prisoners mostly unharmed or blown to pieces. I had a medium run and no pit behind the fortifications I hurled prisoners through, so mounts usually took some damage, but their (modded, often flying) riders usually didn't, and I had to send my military in to finish off every batch. It was very effective at clearing cages, though, and took much less micromanagement than a traditional mass-pitting system.

It is, of course, important to make sure it's really shut down before you send in anyone to clean up.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:12 pm »

I haven't even played this version, but surely if you built the pit with an overhang it would be pretty hard to escape from. In other words, not a straight pit, but a chamber with a hole in the ceiling. Or am I misunderstanding the problem?
Akur Akir Akam!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 07:27:44 am »

I haven't even played this version, but surely if you built the pit with an overhang it would be pretty hard to escape from. In other words, not a straight pit, but a chamber with a hole in the ceiling. Or am I misunderstanding the problem?
No, the issue is that the prisoner will escape before they're dropped in the pit for some reason, presumably by punching the dwarf that is leading them to their new prison and making a run for it, possibly killing several other dwarves and at the very least scaring the socks off your entire populace...

Last I checked, there's also a bug where the dwarf who is leading the goblin is treated like an enemy of the fortress, I guess the military thinks he/she did it on purpose
Pages: 1 [2] 3