Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check  (Read 7194 times)

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D&D / Faerūn Interest Check
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:29 am »

I'm wondering how many people are interested in having a Forgotten Realms mod created. I have a bit of experience with modding, and I'm probably going to make a program to create RAWs instead of messing around in Notepad++.

So, who here is interested in having a Faerūn mod made?

Also, some ideas:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I Love Bacon

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:58:35 am »

It used to pick up some interest before: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19094.0

I haven't done anything with Forgotten Realms since then, so it would be interesting to see it in the new version, with all the cool stuff Toady has added since then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:47:42 am »

I'm wondering how many people are interested in having a Forgotten Realms mod created. I have a bit of experience with modding, and I'm probably going to make a program to create RAWs instead of messing around in Notepad++.

So, who here is interested in having a Faerūn mod made?

Also, some ideas:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would want to see this. Hell, I could even be persuaded to assist by creating a race or something if it gained enough traction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:50:02 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:03 am »

-tries to remember Forgotten Realms canon-

uh, swordmages? I'm used to taking the default setting and adding random crap to it as needed
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:52 am »

It used to pick up some interest before: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19094.0

I haven't done anything with Forgotten Realms since then, so it would be interesting to see it in the new version, with all the cool stuff Toady has added since then.

Deon, why are you everywhere? You're like the Brandon Sanderson of sprite making and roguelike modding. Seriously.

I would want to see this. Hell, I could even be persuaded to assist by creating a race or something if it gained enough traction.

I probably could do with help, especially from someone who DOESN'T hate elves... Does such a person exist?

-tries to remember Forgotten Realms canon-

uh, swordmages? I'm used to taking the default setting and adding random crap to it as needed

That's pretty much the beauty of 3.5, any sourcebooks improve FR primarily (since it's the default setting). So we can have the usual wizard stuff and then PSIONICS.

I'll have to make a timeline to plan it out properly, however.
I Love Bacon

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:19:43 am »

I probably could do with help, especially from someone who DOESN'T hate elves... Does such a person exist?

You called me?

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:17:43 am »

You called me?

Right. I think elves are some of the worst creatures in D&D. They are arrogant, haughty and horribly racist. They refuse to help humans out because they are inferior, and so humans carry on fighting their meaningless (to the elves) wars and cutting down trees.

They're dicks.

Either convince me that this is untrue or make a high elf RAW that doesn't involve them being cockshits.
I Love Bacon

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:34:40 am »

Well, it is true in some cases and untrue in others. To begin with, you would need to specify a specific edition of D&D and a specific campaign setting. The most popular one is probably D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms (i.e. the one with Faerūn). This setting has Sun, Moon, Wood, and Wild Elves. There are also Painted Elves, Star Elves, and Drow, but they're all much more niche.

Sun Elves and Moon Elves are both effectively high elves. They consider themselves apart from the world. Sun Elves are the stereotypical arrogant, haughty high elves we all know and love, but Moon Elves tend to be very down to earth and open to other races and cultures.

Wood and Wild Elves are effectively forest elves, and do consider themselves to be part of the world. Wood Elves mostly keep to themselves, and prefer to go unnoticed by humans and other races, though they will trade and ally with them when it suits them. They are probably the most similar race to Dwarf Fortress elves. Wild Elves are extremely isolationist, and are the most feral elven race. They would kill any non-elf to enter their territory.

Now while I do tend to gravitate towards elves when it comes to Forgotten Realms, I am not really a fan of the setting as a whole. It's terribly generic and has some really stupid shit when it comes to the metaphysics of the setting. Most of this wouldn't come up in Dwarf Fortress so it wouldn't bother me, though. I really just want a well thought out playable race of elves, so if an FR mod is the best way to get that, I'm down to help out. If the goal is just to recreate any D&D setting, why not do Pathfinder instead?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:26:02 am by Rekov »

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:56:58 am »

Now while I do tend to gravitate towards elves when it comes to Forgotten Realms, I am not really a fan of the setting as a whole. It's terribly generic and has some really stupid shit when it comes to the metaphysics of the setting. Most of this wouldn't come up in Dwarf Fortress so it wouldn't bother me, though. I really just want a well thought out playable race of elves, so if an FR mod is the best way to get that, I'm down to help out. If the goal is just to recreate any D&D setting, why not do Pathfinder instead?

My thought process is that anything I did involving Pathfinder that wasn't perfectly to the setting would result in my mod getting written off (ie psionics). On top of this, Pathfinder's civilizations are pretty much ALL humans with a smattering of other races in the cities (something I couldn't really represent), whilst Faerun has a LOT more civilizations that are focused around races that aren't humans.
I Love Bacon

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:14 am »

That's a very good point, MM. I hadn't thought of that. Do you have a particular attachment to FR yourself, then? Or is it more that you want to build something that is, as you say, a series of civilizations focused around non-human races. It would certainly be neat to create a custom setting, and it would let you get around things like high elves that aren't to your liking.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:51 am »

Just would like to point out DnD without any settings already has an enormous amount of content, creatures in special. With a setting like Forgotten Realms, you can expect that to increase. And if you are using 3.5e books as a base, well...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:21 pm »

I'd be really interested in making a load of creatures from dungeons and dragons. Been meaning to for quite some time now. I was making a few from Dark Sun in my spare time! If you want a hand, I'm happy to help :)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »

Actually, I'm working on a Halfling race right now that I'd be happy to contribute. They are more Tolkien than FR, but that is easily mended with a few entity changes. Same base creature, really. Even have the graphic set in the works.

So, how are you planning on doing this? Are you limiting yourself to PH or no Monster Manual 1/2 to start? Because I am all over being super helpful with this. Also, I don't hate D&D elves. They aren't ALL dicks. :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 12:39:54 am »

I've been brainstorming for a mod of my own, and one of the things I want to do is throw some D&D monsters in there.  The first one I want to do is the Kython from the Book of Vile Darkness.  I don't know why, but I really liked those things as a sort of fantasy-genre xenomorph and thought their design would fit well in DF.

Don't know about Forgotten Realms, specifically.  It is just generic high fantasy.  I like the setting.  But there's not a whole lot of unique content in it besides the locations, characters, history, politics, etc... and those are all things that mostly won't port to DF very well.  So I'm not sure what a mod bearing the name would be about besides implementing a bunch of D&D-style content.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:10 am »

This sounds sort of interesting.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: [1] 2 3