Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430971 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3180 on: June 10, 2020, 04:44:44 am »

Don't worry, Trump has just ordered 9500 troops and tanks to withdraw from Germany, the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone terrorists will be crushed soon.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: June 10, 2020, 08:26:15 am »

You mean the mad Dr OrangeMan is sending his mechanized units? Capitol Hill Zone will never be the same!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: June 10, 2020, 08:30:02 am »

Bad boys, bad boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they cancel you?

Paramount Network? I remember when it was in the dying days of G4. It was nothing but COPS reruns for hours. I’m pretty sure someone on the camera crew got shot and killed during the filming of one of those episodes.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: June 10, 2020, 08:35:05 am »

The map floating around was made by a furry shitposter who does MENA commentary in her spare time and intentionally drew it to look like a Syria occupation map, hyperstitioning a revolution into existence.

Things get weirder by the minute.
Shoes...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: June 10, 2020, 08:42:00 am »

The map floating around was made by a furry shitposter who does MENA commentary in her spare time and intentionally drew it to look like a Syria occupation map, hyperstitioning a revolution into existence.

what? Are you saying a map started a revolution? If this is not the correct interpretation please correct me

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: June 10, 2020, 08:54:51 am »

Have the totally not Russian green men arrived yet to support the separatists?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: June 10, 2020, 10:44:30 am »

Shit is about to get really ugly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: June 10, 2020, 11:16:35 am »

So is the, uh, CHAZ gonna end up like an Occupy encampment (sitting around being a nuisance to the locals until everyone gets tired and leaves)?

Or do you think a full Tiananmen is possibly in the cards
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: June 10, 2020, 11:17:54 am »

Depending on where you're looking on twitter it sounds like it may already be falling apart.
Shoes...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: June 10, 2020, 11:20:21 am »

Can you link to what you’re talking about? Would I search “Syria revolution” or “MENS map?” To learn more about this?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:40 am »

this map

Which was designed to basically be what the map would look like if this were happening outside of the US, "regime occupied safeway," etc.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: June 10, 2020, 11:44:59 am »

So is the, uh, CHAZ gonna end up like an Occupy encampment (sitting around being a nuisance to the locals until everyone gets tired and leaves)?

Or do you think a full Tiananmen is possibly in the cards

If this were, like, Texas, I'd say Tiananmen Square. But being that its Oregon Washington, I highly doubt they would ask for Trump's military assistance to retake the CHAZ.

That said, I think we're reaching the point where Trump may start taking action regardless of what the states would prefer. I can only hope it collapses before actual troops are deployed. Or other groups decide that, if it's autonomous, that means they can go in shooting since there's no cops there to stop them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:12:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: June 10, 2020, 12:19:47 pm »

Bad boys, bad boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they cancel you?

Paramount Network? I remember when it was in the dying days of G4. It was nothing but COPS reruns for hours. I’m pretty sure someone on the camera crew got shot and killed during the filming of one of those episodes.

I rather like the simpsons parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mBi8-QsSc

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: June 10, 2020, 05:54:08 pm »

So what are the functions which are unique to a police force, which wouldn't be better served by some other type of professional?  I recognize the following.
Literally nothing, ask a cop who got out of the bastardry: https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

1.  Arresting suspects following a report of a crime, which should only be necessary in a minority of cases in our modern age of surveillance.  Can be revisited if we dismantle the surveillance state.
Why commit crimes after the massive police budgets are pumped into projects which educate, feed, house, and heal communities?
2.  Responding to reports of violence in progress, with the intent to minimize harm to everyone as much as possible, including suspects
Cops don't do this except so rarely it might as well be accidental.
3.  Partial involvement in investigation
Cops aren't trained for this, it presumes the presence of crimes that wouldn't exist without motivation, desperation, frustration, and lack of medication, security in food, security in residence.

As I understand, this is a minority of what police actually do, and it seems to me like restricting them to specifically these duties with appropriate cuts to size/funding would be incredibly dramatic.  Not abolition, no.  But it would be a dramatic departure from police in their current form.
A pseudo-military branch which was empowered and trained to identify, locate, and prevent outside actors from harming their communities when possible, or if necessary intervene to neutralize threats to their communities already in progress would be the closest remnant to our current police forces... and that should be fucking alarming as shit when you realize what we actually have are not tasked with preventing harm to the communities they work in, are not tasked or trained to prevent shit before it happens, but are definitely equipped like a pseudo-military force.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: June 10, 2020, 06:07:19 pm »

1: Not convinced that "eliminate crime entirely" is a feasible goal outside of fundamentally changing what humans are. Which we probably won't be able to accomplish for the next, what? 10-15 years? ;P
Greatly reduce crime, and the kind of crime which would call for an arrest, sure. That mean greatly reducing the need to make arrests, not eliminating the need entirely.
2: Just because cops currently fail to do this doesn't mean there's no need for it to be done, nor that in an ideal world, there would be a group which performs that function.
3: Same point as 1 and 2, basically.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 295