Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 431057 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3060 on: June 08, 2020, 05:11:28 am »

Yeah and let's hope that the hundreds of police officers that are suddenly unemployed and angry don't turn to crime.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: June 08, 2020, 07:03:27 am »

I mean, apparently the majority of the ones in question don't actually live in the city, so. It's kind of an "even if they do, it's someone else's problem" sorta' thing.

Interim they can probably request aid from state or federal organizations, though. Might not be an improvement in the short term but it's questionable it'll make things worse. Stateside it's not unknown for folks' general welfare to get better with the cops pack it in and go home, ha.

I do wonder how that is going to work in practice though. Who are people going to call when they get robbed, or when their child gets raped? Ghostbusters?
Hell, even odds ghostbusters would do about as much good, so, uh.

Nevermind how common it is to just not get the cops involved in either of those to begin with, due to how largely fucking useless (at best) they'd be in either case :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:05:04 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 08, 2020, 07:10:56 am »

Yeah and let's hope that the hundreds of police officers that are suddenly unemployed and angry don't turn to crime.

They and every other cop in the country has a huge material interest in this experiment failing.  Expect them to try to fuck it up.
Shoes...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: June 08, 2020, 07:11:27 am »

Yesterday, a majority of the Minneapolis city council has voted in favour of completely dismantling the Minneapolis police.
The city council members that voted in favour do admit that they do not have any concrete ideas on how to replace it with something new.
They said they want to discuss a new structure of public safety with the community.
"It is clear that the current police system is incapable of protecting our communities", says council president Lisa Bender. "Our attempts at gradual reform have failed".
last Saturday, the mayor of Minneapolis was hissed and boo'd by a sea of protestors when he said he did not support the complete dismantling of the police.

I do wonder how that is going to work in practice though. Who are people going to call when they get robbed, or when their child gets raped? Ghostbusters?
As of right now, there still could be a place for a lesser amount of armed police at the moment, armed with less armored cars and tear gas and used in cases of violent criminals. As of right now though? The standards for many states and I am sure this includes Minnesota tends to be at a highschool level with about 8 weeks of training, and they sound willing to keep people with 70 incidents of use of force on the force, with many of the police not even from the area they police, so it might be best to burn it down and start over.

A popular idea floating around right now is to replace a lot of the things police do with other systems and organizations. If you need a wellness check on someone would you rather have the police do it or a care worker specialized in dealing with folks?

As far as the issue of unemployed cops goes, getting fired for unauthorized uses of force doesn't seem to stop them from moving to another area to become a cop there.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: June 08, 2020, 07:44:11 am »

Give the EMTs police training so they can triage the criminals they shoot  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: June 08, 2020, 08:10:45 am »

A twitter thread that addresses the question fairly well.

Basically, yeah, it's about replacing police with better suited services.  Most of what police do is not stuff that they have any business doing.  They're an organization that we train and equip for nothing but violence, and then use them for a majority of purposes that have nothing to do with violence.  And even in situations involving violence, all they do most of the time is escalate that violence.  As it stands, the only thing it makes sense to call police for is filing legal complaint/incident reports, or if you want to try and get somebody killed.  And in other situations where those are not your needs, chances are when you call for help, it's police who will show up anyway and respond with violence where none was needed.

Really I think that there probably should be something like the police in modern society's current form, but it should be like 5% of its current size and funding.  The other 95% should be re-directed to various types of social workers and programs.  Basically, the exact opposite of this image.  Crime would plummet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: June 08, 2020, 08:14:58 am »

Spoiler: Relevant dril tweet (click to show/hide)
Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: June 08, 2020, 08:17:43 am »

Cities are obsolete.  Maybe they made sense when people needed to be near their workplace and essential goods and services, but that's no longer true to the extent that we need cities.  Everything I want or need is a 30 minute drive or a two day delivery away from me and I live in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Get rid of them.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: June 08, 2020, 08:20:07 am »

Suburbs are obsolete, cities are good land and transportation usage so long as you bother to actually have those things.

Actually, suburbs were never good, so I guess they can't really be obsolete. But regardless, dig a big hole in the desert and throw all the suburbs inside it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:19 am »

Spoiler: Relevant dril tweet (click to show/hide)
It is clear less needs to be spent on candles. Candles can’t be eaten, or drank, or used for access to current events (news). Rent is needed because shelter’s a requirement, and data is needed because knowing what’s happening is important.
If all money from candles was spent on the other things, and everything was spent equally, rent, food, data and utility would get $1225 dollars each

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: June 08, 2020, 08:36:31 am »

Coincidentally, the same applies to the police! :P
Black lives matter.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: June 08, 2020, 08:48:14 am »

Coincidentally, the same applies to the police! :P
Yes. That it does, in larger numbers. If all lines in the graph had numbers, I could do the calculations for dividing the total number of $ by 8 (if all money given to police was put I tothe other systems and if lol systems had equal mounts of money) or divided by 9 (all money being divided among the 9 sections) or, as the suggestion here, calculate 5% of total money in budget to give to police, and (possibly) divide the remaining 95% by 8

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: June 08, 2020, 09:11:08 am »

Here in Norway, I remember calling the non-emergency police line a couple years ago when I saw a few dudes sat on a bench in city center digging into a sixpack (we have public drinking laws, open alcohol containers in public are a no-no). The call went thusly:

Me: "Hey, there's a group of guys in the central plaza cracking open some beers. Thought you should know."

PD: "Okay, are they harassing anyone?"

Me: "No no, they seem to be keeping to themselves"

PD: "Alright, let us know if they get violent, we'll make a note."

And that was it. Yeah, sure, the guys may have been in direct violation of the law, but... It's a warm summer day. Of course you're gonna want to sit down in the sun and crack open a couple. The cops understand. They'd like to be doing the same thing.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: June 08, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

So you narced on them?
Black lives matter.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: June 08, 2020, 09:12:42 am »

Wow, way to snitch on people for no reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 295