Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430317 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2790 on: May 30, 2020, 09:28:29 am »

It definitely seems like there’s bad faith actors taking advantage of the situation to foment chaos
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: May 30, 2020, 09:46:47 am »

There have been multiple different instances of police attempting to escalate violence, including smashing the windows of the AutoZone that burned down before it was on fire and smashing windows in another building more recently. But I'm sure that there's a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation for it.
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:33 am »

There have been multiple different instances of police attempting to escalate violence, including smashing the windows of the AutoZone that burned down before it was on fire and smashing windows in another building more recently. But I'm sure that there's a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation for it.
Interesting. Source?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: May 30, 2020, 10:03:13 am »

We've got rioting in Richmond. Some of our work-at-home folks have left early for the day to make sure they can stay safe, apparently it's bad/looks to be bad soon out there. I don't see any reporting on it yet.

Sooo... they went home, or they left their homes?

Left their homes. Anyway, shots were fired and both police cars and city buses got torched. No deaths to my knowledge.

EDIT: I uploaded a video that my friend took, he was right in the city where the riots took place. Please don't share further, since it's not my video. Only videos I found of Richmond were all about the damage and not the cause.

https://youtu.be/k0iuEalJhyI
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:39:47 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: May 30, 2020, 10:22:22 am »

Interesting. Source?
Don't have any offhand, but there's constant reports of police responding to the peaceful protests attempted with rubber bullets, tear gas, and pepper spray. Seen less in the way of reliable sightings of cops (plainclothes or otherwise) getting their property damage on, but the cops have been going balls to the fucking wall to try to escalate shit, all over the place. How well that turns out for them varies from place to place, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: May 30, 2020, 02:04:58 pm »

Interesting. Source?

Here's the most infamous one so far.

But seriously look up some history on this stuff.  Agent provocateurs are a common global tactic among police used to set up justification for harsher crackdowns.  They've even been admitted to in court.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: May 30, 2020, 04:08:15 pm »

Interesting. Source?

Here's the most infamous one so far.

But seriously look up some history on this stuff.  Agent provocateurs are a common global tactic among police used to set up justification for harsher crackdowns.  They've even been admitted to in court.

It's taking a while to find related pictures, but I know I saw where a cop's ex-wife outed him as one of the people in the crowd before the protest became a riot. So at least one undercover officer was involved.

Plus, you get stuff like this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:10:33 pm by Iduno »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: May 30, 2020, 04:12:32 pm »

Another fun media thing is the language used to describe George Floyd's death, he "died after being in police custody," not "he was killed by a cop."

This is standard operating procedure in these situations for the media, government, and any responsible entity. Referring to someone as a killer before they have been convicted in a courtroom could result in legal action. The defense could say that their client was wrongfully slandered, and either call for a mistrial, or demand compensation from the slanderers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: May 30, 2020, 04:21:35 pm »

None of that is true. That's not even remotely how slander law works.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 30, 2020, 04:40:11 pm »

Hey, guess who they got to do the murder investigation.

Hint:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: May 30, 2020, 04:45:41 pm »

Another fun media thing is the language used to describe George Floyd's death, he "died after being in police custody," not "he was killed by a cop."

This is standard operating procedure in these situations for the media, government, and any responsible entity. Referring to someone as a killer before they have been convicted in a courtroom could result in legal action. The defense could say that their client was wrongfully slandered, and either call for a mistrial, or demand compensation from the slanderers.

Have you ever read a headline where a police officer wasn't the subject of scrutiny?  Like ever?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: May 30, 2020, 06:00:44 pm »

https://twitter.com/DoughertyKMGH/status/1266560264918491138

Cops shooting at protesters to get them to move.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 30, 2020, 06:39:46 pm »

Hey, guess who they got to do the murder investigation.

Hint:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently he's just good at forensics, but the track record makes it look funny/shady.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 30, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »

Plus, you get stuff like this.
That's fucked up.  In a proper police force that "officer" would be turned in to Internal Affairs by their partner, immediately taken off patrol, and eventually be convicted of assault by testimony of all the police who saw it happen.  No qualified immunity because it was plainly a deliberate attack, not even a mistake.

Instead I expect them to get away with it despite the video evidence.  People probably got the license plate but nothing's going to be done about it.  Infuriating.

https://twitter.com/DoughertyKMGH/status/1266560264918491138

Cops shooting at protesters to get them to move.
You must have the wrong link ::)
That's a very brave protester though, I have nothing but respect for her.  One of the SWAT even points the paintball gun directly at her, which is VERY dangerous and against protocol.  They're meant to be used by firing at the ground (maybe ceilings, not sure) as they did, causing the pepper gas to spread and cause people to disperse.

So like... a perfect interaction on both sides until that second SWAT aimed the gun at her face like a maniac.  That was a very lethal threat and I'm sure no action is going to be taken, even though it should be.  What a disgrace.

Edit: Also, the comments on so many of these tweets are simply appalling... I don't want to believe they're real, a lot of them.  I know internet anonymity turns people into assholes, but SO MANY are calling for the police to harm nonviolent demonstrators like this.  That's chilling, even if only some of it's genuine (and I have no reason to doubt their truth beyond shock and horror).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:28:00 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 30, 2020, 09:41:23 pm »

I've been thinking & talking about this stuff w co-workers all day. Peaceful protests (when they've got serious meat like this) shove the issue in your face and remove any pretext to retaliate. Some cops, in this case, made the classic "they aren't fighting so they can't fight back" blunder and assumed they could use agent provocateurs as a reason to retaliate, which led to precincts burning down.

Don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening at the same time the richest people in America made a collective 400 billion dollars in a month. The more that wealth is collected, the higher tensions become. Democracies with free access to information aren't built for centralization of wealth, and it seems like the jury-rigged autocratic solutions have finally run out.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 295