Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430313 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2775 on: May 29, 2020, 04:37:37 pm »

So they're charging the knee cop with third degree murder and manslaughter charges
The three other cops standing around get nothing for now.
A citywide curfew is being thrown down starting tonight. Let's see what happens

In case anyone is wondering:

In Minnesota, a third-degree murder charge is defined as “perpetrating an eminently dangerous act and evincing a depraved mind,” while second-degree manslaughter is defined as “culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk.”

It stops short of saying there's any premeditation or knowingly inflicting a dangerous situation. Basically, that the cop may have a "depraved mind" but that he didn't intentionally set out to kill him by putting his knee to his neck for several minutes. I'm starting to wonder if the knee to the neck is basically just that though, a deliberate attempt to kill someone while creating reasonable doubt that it was your intention. But since it's not an actual police training tactic.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: May 29, 2020, 04:50:54 pm »

Mohamed Noor, the cop who shot Justine Damond in 2017, was successfully charged and convicted under third degree murder in Minnesota as well.
(charged with second degree but was acquitted)

But then again, Mohamed Noor was a Somali American and Justine Damond was white Australian woman soooo.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:53:03 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: May 29, 2020, 04:51:11 pm »

So they're charging the knee cop with third degree murder and manslaughter charges
The three other cops standing around get nothing for now.
A citywide curfew is being thrown down starting tonight. Let's see what happens

In case anyone is wondering:

In Minnesota, a third-degree murder charge is defined as “perpetrating an eminently dangerous act and evincing a depraved mind,” while second-degree manslaughter is defined as “culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk.”

It stops short of saying there's any premeditation or knowingly inflicting a dangerous situation. Basically, that the cop may have a "depraved mind" but that he didn't intentionally set out to kill him by putting his knee to his neck for several minutes. I'm starting to wonder if the knee to the neck is basically just that though, a deliberate attempt to kill someone while creating reasonable doubt that it was your intention. But since it's not an actual police training tactic.....

Just because we hear the same excuse every few weeks doesn't mean they're teaching cops to do that and lying about it. I mean, they are, but be don't know for certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: May 29, 2020, 04:55:41 pm »

I'm not positing that it's a concerted effort by their leadership. But if you're a cop and also a White Supremacist wonk, and you want to kill black people while in the line of duty, this would be one way to do it while having plausible deniability.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 29, 2020, 04:57:11 pm »

More than that, third degree murder specifically removes intent. From www.revisor.mn.gov:

Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

However... is he being charged with manslaughter in the first degree? Because:

(1) intentionally causes the death of another person in the heat of passion provoked by such words or acts of another as would provoke a person of ordinary self-control under like circumstances, provided that the crying of a child does not constitute provocation;

Odd that they are charging him with both intent and a lack of intent.

EDIT: Hey, what about that confirmed police officer Autozone arsonist? What's been done about him? Any official response?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:00:09 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 29, 2020, 04:59:44 pm »

I'm starting to wonder if the knee to the neck is basically just that though, a deliberate attempt to kill someone while creating reasonable doubt that it was your intention. But since it's not an actual police training tactic.....
If it is true that this man has already killed a few times before, I'd put my money on it being a deliberate and premeditated murder, the cop being an actual serial killer psychopath who just happens to work in the police force.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: May 29, 2020, 05:08:21 pm »

If it is true that this man has already killed a few times before, I'd put my money on it being a deliberate and premeditated murder, the cop being an actual serial killer psychopath who just happens to work in the police force.
Because those two things couldn't possibly be correlated. :)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 29, 2020, 08:27:17 pm »

Protests have spread to many cities now, and several of them have turned violent.

There's a standoff going on right now at the front door of a CNN building. Firecrackers are being thrown at police.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34:21 pm »

Protests have spread to many cities now, and several of them have turned violent.

There's a standoff going on right now at the front door of a CNN building. Firecrackers are being thrown at police.
Wait why a CNN building.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 29, 2020, 08:41:19 pm »

No reason given. Probably because they want more attention. Either that or random destruction.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 29, 2020, 09:13:35 pm »

We've got rioting in Richmond. Some of our work-at-home folks have left early for the day to make sure they can stay safe, apparently it's bad/looks to be bad soon out there. I don't see any reporting on it yet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:20:18 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 30, 2020, 05:07:53 am »

Wait why a CNN building.
Maybe related to the CNN reporter arrest?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 30, 2020, 06:20:21 am »

We've got rioting in Richmond. Some of our work-at-home folks have left early for the day to make sure they can stay safe, apparently it's bad/looks to be bad soon out there. I don't see any reporting on it yet.

Sooo... they went home, or they left their homes?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 30, 2020, 06:49:52 am »

No reason given. Probably because they want more attention. Either that or random destruction.
There's a police precinct office or whatever in the same building. They probably weren't there for CNN.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:14 am »

As a local, I can confirm there's a precinct office in the first floor of the cnn building. The fact that that's consistently underreported is making me wonder, though. Another fun media thing is the language used to describe George Floyd's death, he "died after being in police custody," not "he was killed by a cop."

Killer Mike came out with the mayor talking about how looting businesses in a city with the most black owned businesses is counterproductive. I'd understand that, except the places affected so far have been Lenox mall and the cnn tower, and Buckhead (for those not in the know, the gentrified upper class part of Atlanta). A tearful plea to respect the property of the bourgeoisie, from a man who advocates violent revolution in his music.

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 295