Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428572 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1980 on: October 03, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »

Can't dig it up now, but there were solid numbers put out a while back showing that police kill white and black people in roughly equal numbers.  But black people suffer non-fatal violent treatment by police at a much higher rate, and iirc it also verified that the circumstances are far more likely to be dubious with black suspects.

Really? Was that after correction for income or weapon or something? Because, well, the raw number have blacks killed at 2.5 time the rate of white, and over 7 time the rate of Asians.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 03, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »

Can't dig it up now, but there were solid numbers put out a while back showing that police kill white and black people in roughly equal numbers.  But black people suffer non-fatal violent treatment by police at a much higher rate, and iirc it also verified that the circumstances are far more likely to be dubious with black suspects.

Really? Was that after correction for income or weapon or something? Because, well, the raw number have blacks killed at 2.5 time the rate of white, and over 7 time the rate of Asians.

That's an interesting link.  But it was a longer term study.  I think this was the one. 

I get the feeling things are going to look different if you single out 2016, because I think the bigots in law enforcement are responding to all this scrutiny by doubling down on their worst behaviors.  This has become the latest front line territory in USA's ongoing culture war.  Law enforcement has long been conservative stronghold, and they're making it clear that they don't intend to budge.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 05, 2016, 05:28:25 am »

Cambridge has tested body cameras on police. The result: a 1 year trial saw 113 complaints against the police. The year before saw 1539. That's a 93% drop in police abuse.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/10/04/1519200/police-complaints-drop-93-percent-after-deploying-body-cameras

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 05, 2016, 06:12:31 am »

That's an interesting link.  But it was a longer term study.  I think this was the one. 

I get the feeling things are going to look different if you single out 2016, because I think the bigots in law enforcement are responding to all this scrutiny by doubling down on their worst behaviors.  This has become the latest front line territory in USA's ongoing culture war.  Law enforcement has long been conservative stronghold, and they're making it clear that they don't intend to budge.
I thought the increase in violence had something to do with the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 08, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »

https://reason.com/blog/2016/09/28/cop-issues-warning-if-you-run-around-in
 "If someone sees you dressed like this they have the right to defend themselves," the announcements said. "It is not normal for clowns to be running around like idiots all year long. I will stand behind anyone who feels they need to protect themselves from these so-called clowns. So, to sum it all up, if you run around in a clown suit, you should probably expect for citizens to beat you (for their own protection), then get arrested by police."
- Chief of Police of... of Paw Paw, WV
But still...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 08, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »

The fire rises. #Honkening
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 08, 2016, 09:18:16 pm »

#ClownLivesMatter

It's really an excellent example of how the media machine blows up nothing-stories into hysteria. It all started with a false report, and everything since has been more of the same mixed with dumb teenagers who think it's funny.

Cambridge has tested body cameras on police. The result: a 1 year trial saw 113 complaints against the police. The year before saw 1539. That's a 93% drop in police abuse.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/10/04/1519200/police-complaints-drop-93-percent-after-deploying-body-cameras
To play devil's advocate, one doesn't necessarily follow from the other. It could just as easily mean that knowing cameras were always going to be there heavily reduced frivolous/falsified complaints that could be easily proven to be nonsense with bodycam footage. Remember, proliferation of cameras also all but killed reports of miracles. People are much less inclined to make things up or exaggerate if there's an easy way to prove them wrong. A 93% drop in complaints means that there was a 93% drop in complaints, everything else is speculation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 08, 2016, 09:24:39 pm »

Good thing for everyone, either way.  If police abuse really wasn't that bad, then reducing frivolous complaints gives police more breathing room to focus on doing their jobs, and makes people like me less worried about them.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 09, 2016, 12:49:26 am »

Yep, it's a net positive regardless.

Granted, I still have reservations, both in the biased and limited perspective, and in that these measures only go so far -- dashcams sure didn't stop people being chased/dragged off-camera and beaten, and evidence against police wrongdoing has been "lost" since the beginning of law enforcement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: October 09, 2016, 01:08:58 am »

Though, a huge cut in the amount of stuff they're processing also means that the anomalies are going to really stick out much more than before. If they've dropped from having to investigate and resolve 5 complaints a day down to one every 3 days, that's a lot more time and attention that can be applied to getting the right facts. People with both big and small complaints are therefore better served.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 09, 2016, 02:32:45 am »

What's that clown thing anyway?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 09, 2016, 03:01:53 am »

I'm guessing it's one of the weirder examples of copycat crime as a result of 24/7 media (and now, social media i.e. memes) exposure.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 09, 2016, 03:35:47 am »

But, what crime was actually committed? As far as I can tell, it's just people seeing clown.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 09, 2016, 03:39:53 am »

The clown thing is triggering a lot of people super bad.  I got to listen to a couple normally mild-mannered co-workers rant together the other day about how they would stab any dumb motherfucker they ever saw out in public in a clown costume.  One of those co-worker's kids had recently seen someone in a car costume driving, and was really freaked out by it.  So they were in enraged mother mode.

I'm in the all this overreacting is dumb camp.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 295