Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428336 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1845 on: July 11, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »

They formed the foundation of our philosophy and much of our legal system, they are complicit!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 11, 2016, 07:49:14 pm »

I don't care about 'good cops' until those supposedly good cops are leading the march against police brutality and police corruption, rather than trying to protect their image by saying "What problem?"

Until it goes from #NotAllCops to #HereAreTheBadCops or something, then they're just part of the problem. That they care more about how they look than about cleaning up their departments or about black (or even otherwise, but predominantly black) peoples lives shows me just how 'good' they actually are.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 11, 2016, 11:18:29 pm »

I don't care about 'good cops' until those supposedly good cops are leading the march against police brutality and police corruption, rather than trying to protect their image by saying "What problem?"

Until it goes from #NotAllCops to #HereAreTheBadCops or something, then they're just part of the problem. That they care more about how they look than about cleaning up their departments or about black (or even otherwise, but predominantly black) peoples lives shows me just how 'good' they actually are.
Did you say this before the recent shootings? Cops ARE marching with protesters, for selfless or selfish reasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:09 pm »

The police are suffering from believing themselves on a war footing in their own country. I think that's at the root of all these shootings. They're being prepped for it and trained for it and told every day to watch their backs....and the retaliation attacks have been just the thing to make that mindset stick. There are good cops fighting against of a tide of expecting trouble everywhere and finding it with ease. It's a organizational behavior that has never been great but has just gotten out of hand lately. Either that or we just know about these things happening more than we used to thanks to technology. Police get treated like a special class of citizen when it comes to them as an organization, and that's really what's got to stop. Every police department IMO should have a civilian board with the actual power to do something to make change if police chiefs can't reform the cops they have and properly train the new ones they get. But since cops have their own unions, are city/state employees and all that jazz, bringing them to heel is harder to do.

I appreciate there are good cops out there but frankly their presence doesn't do anything to prevent bad cops from being bad. If police chiefs and city/state government can't reform their own institutions, and may well be encouraging the kind of behavior we as citizens find unacceptable, what chance do "just some good cops" really have?

We need to start viewing cops as people, and treating them as people. Fallible, flawed, lazy, scared. The hero worship of police for political gain has gotten to the point where some people are completely deaf to the idea that there is a systemic problem with policing in this country.

And days where you're cursing their problems in one state and mourning their murdered dead in another doesn't make it any easier to come to terms with shit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:57:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 11, 2016, 11:57:37 pm »

Black lives matter.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 12, 2016, 12:14:19 am »

#LightningRodLivesMatter.
Cool story bro. When lightning starts striking black people at 2.5 times the rate of white people, give me a call.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 12, 2016, 12:19:18 am »

Did you say this before the recent shootings? Cops ARE marching with protesters, for selfless or selfish reasons.

There actually are more decent cops stepping up and making their positions known.  There was a black woman officer who went on an epic rant that went viral.  And various cities are showing proper attitudes towards protest for once.  I'm actually impressed with the Dallas police.  I didn't care much for the speeches that I saw by the police chief or mayor, but it seems there were really good vibes between the police and the protesters before the shooting started... and even somewhat after the shooting started.  While police in some cities are earning my respect, others are losing it.  Baton Rouge seems pretty fucking horrible.  Since the death of Alton Sterling, there have been some police from that area outed as displaying overt racism on social media, and their attitude towards the protests has been your typical heavy-handed oppression.  Saw an article today that some woman even invited a bunch of protesters to rally on her own private property, and police invaded it to arrest them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 12, 2016, 02:59:44 am »

I'll believe in good cops when they break the thin blue line, ie start testifying in court against their colleagues and whistleblowing when their departments organize cover-ups of police misconduct.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:19 am »

Haha, what problem?
Everything can be made legal and above-board when you can shop around for 'expert' testimony...  Works with 'fact'-finding research too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:07 am »

I'm not sure it's really a good idea to try to generalize to all cops in the US context. You guys have a gorrillion different PDs, with vastly different sets of accountability and policy. Truean complains that internal affairs dept. are underfunded and cannot do their job, but a lot of smaller PDs don't even have internals affairs dept. and have officers judged by a panel of a few of their buddies. Not surprisingly, those tends to be rather horrible. Even the tendency to shoot blacks and hispanics at a higher rate than white varies a lot from PD to PD, with so counties having blacks shot at up to twenty time the rate of whites.

Sure, lots of reform is needed, but effective reform needs to praise the PDs making a good job as well as shaming those that don't.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 12, 2016, 06:52:11 am »

AND not painting every single PO with the same brush. That kind of thinking never works out well for any group.

Hah, that just gave me a mental image of changing the police uniforms. Instead of using only one colour uniform, uniforms in all colours of the rainbow would be randomly distributed amongst the officers, to make them look more friendly and diverse.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1858 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:53 am »

Hah, that just gave me a mental image of changing the police uniforms. Instead of using only one colour uniform, uniforms in all colours of the rainbow would be randomly distributed amongst the officers, to make them look more friendly and diverse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:28 am »

Some south east Asian country, I want to remember it as Thailand, had a policy that all officers found guilty of corruption had to wear a pink upperarmband with Hello Kitty on it.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 295