Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428314 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1815 on: July 11, 2016, 05:47:31 am »

Protecting the public is *the* point of police, and danger is an integral part of the job, so anyone who'd put his own safety before that of citizens has no business being on the force. I mean, you wouldn't hire a pyrophobic to be a fireman, would you?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1816 on: July 11, 2016, 06:10:31 am »

Protecting the public is *the* point of police
Supreme court ruled that police have no obligation to protect civilians IIRC
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 11, 2016, 06:22:00 am »

So what exactly is all that tax money buying?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:34 am »

Maintaining law and order which is their job, not playing Russian Roulette. That often involves protecting civilians though, usually from other civilians.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 11, 2016, 06:51:17 am »

Lots of ammo.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 11, 2016, 06:53:13 am »

If law and order means getting randomly executed, I think it's high time for a revolution. Even in most dictatorships the death squads had an actual reason to kill you.

And like I said, if you can't take the heat stay the hell out of the kitchen. If you feel like giving civilians the benefit of the doubt is playing Russian Roulette, maybe policework is just not the right career for you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:56:32 am by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 11, 2016, 10:25:22 am »

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1822 on: July 11, 2016, 10:53:48 am »

Removing OWS from the premises

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 11, 2016, 10:57:11 am »

randomly executed
cute.
Lethal force is arbitrarily applied with much smaller repercussions then would normally be applied.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:45 am »

randomly executed
cute.
Lethal force is arbitrarily applied with much smaller repercussions then would normally be applied.
It isn't random at all. I think that is what Playergamer meant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:21 am »

Please do not quote:

Despite last time not working out so well....

The watchdogs checking and balancing police practice and procedure are underfunded, unpopular, and undermined: defense attorneys.
I almost linked the John Oliver segment on Public Defenders....

About 92% of crim. cases in the US are plea bargained. Trials aren't really funded. Forgetting money, there's not enough courtrooms, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, bailiffs, investigators, or infrastructure. Insufficient (unfunded) courtroom hours. Imagine "just" doubling the number of trials (down to 84% plea rate), nevermind x10. Impossible without funding and infrastructure.

Public Defender / Appointed Counsel is a dangerous, degraded, demanding, and not least of all defunded job with often impossible and opposing goals. System wants more cases done, with implicitly less individual attention, at no cost. Client wants more individual attention on his / her case, implicitly excluding other cases, at no cost. Impossible, unfunded, fundamentally opposed goals.... Something's gotta give. Uncountable threats of bodily harm and death from dangerous people are just "expected" as part of these jobs. Society thinks you're scum for defending these people, at all. Debt is astronomical. Pay is microscopic. No one will respect you, at all. Do not become a lawyer kids....

Even Police and Prosecution often lack support and training, and some say "why bother with a 90% + plea rate?" Budget cuts.... Police Officer should be, but often isn't, a full time, living wage job (though requiring a crim justice degree and dangerous conditions). We're basically throwing almost all of society's many messes at this and somehow wondering why screw ups happen. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more screw ups given the circumstances. How is anyone surprised at an under-resourced, stressed, overburdened system having problems? As opposed to what, resourcing it properly for better results?

Unfed watchdogs guarding justice.... What could go wrong?

P.S. I know some damn good Police Officers out there, who don't need criticism, but rather a hand. If people actually want these problems solved, then we need to focus on enabling the system to properly operate under the immense stress out there. Solutions focus.... Address how to properly handle Police interactions (yes that certainly includes how the public should interact with Police too). No, it isn't simple. We should want improvement, not blood. One would help, the other won't.

Please do not quote:
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 11, 2016, 04:30:27 pm »

Constitutional mandate to provide indigent defense? Who cares about a silly thing like that, the voters demand that everyone be tough on crime, especially the crime of the moment.

Besides, what innocent person would *possibly* take a plea bargain? We all know that a speedy trial and reasonable bond is just as protected as an able public defender.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2016/05/23/the-tennessee-waltz-around-gideon/   

Able here being properly resourced, in addition to being competent
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 11, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »

$1,200 in traffic fines? That's like 3 20+ MPH speeding tickets in my town. Damn.

Doesn't warrant what they did, but the dollar amount got my attention. I can see a cop sitting around looking at this guy's sheet after he made the news and going "Oh we gotta do something about that." Doesn't mater that it's pretty much the worst PR move you can make, and a chilling dose of arbitrary arrest ($1,200 wasn't worth coming after him for until now?), but I guess in the mind of a cop it makes perfect sense.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »

Cops have no charitibility. If they can do something to hurt "the enemy", they will without hesitation. Even the "good ones" hide behind a callous certitude and adherence to the letter of the law even if they pretend to feel bad about it, while the bad ones are just plain highwaymen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 295