Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428034 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1560 on: November 25, 2015, 03:32:37 pm »

Honestly -- and it saddens me to say this -- but the reason this guy is getting the 1st-degree murder charge isn't the first 14 shots, it's the last two. Which come several seconds after McDonald was lying twitching on the pavement. As unjustifiable as the initial barrage was, you can make some very tenuous argument that he was a scared cop who made a questionable judgement call. But putting two more rounds into an already dying young man's body after plenty of time to see that the danger was over -- that's egregious.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 25, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »

On dash cam, the first 14 are almost certainly enough for well founded prosecution. I'll hope those last two just ensure he's convicted and sentenced appropriately.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:44 pm »

If the case is the one I heard a bout (in a hurry sorry) don't expect me to try to defend these cops.  Fucks' sake, prosecute them all the way.

I don't care if the suspect was duel-wielding machine guns or what, these cops tried to hide all the evidence of the incident.  They belong in jail for life, even if they get killed there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 14, 2015, 12:12:46 am »

Got another ugly one...

So I haven't read much into it, but at a glance it seems the guy wasn't unarmed.  The suspect had been waving a gun and firing shots into the air before this.

But still.... it looks like he's shot in the back without warning, while calmly walking away.... and then the two officers look like it's just another day at the firing range as he's crawling away...

And another...

This guy was behaving erratically, but was standing still with his hands plainly in the air for multiple seconds when he was shot...

I can't ever fucking look at social media without seeing another video of police killing someone.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:32:50 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 14, 2015, 04:22:09 am »

I can't ever fucking look at social media without seeing another video of police killing someone.

Social media feeds by nature point you towards subjects which are in your interest. For example i can't open mine without seeing something about cars. So its not really surprising.
Magma is overrated.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 14, 2015, 04:33:46 am »

I find myself wishing these things came in HD...

That first video doesn't show what happened before the cops started shooting that guy, but I expect they kept shooting because he wasn't dead yet, and still had his gun... so... threat not yet neutralized, right?

That second video, from what I've read and seen before, I was surprised they didn't open up on the guy as soon as his hand went behind his back, but maybe it was still visible to them. What I don't get is why they would open fire after his hands were up. That makes no sense to me at all.

What gets me is that if a cop sees a gun (on a non-white person, anyways, or someone they think is a threat), they go A THREAT SHOOT TO KILL, but there are so many people in this country with guns, and they frequently run around as plainclothes officers, and expect other people with guns to not have the same exact reaction to seeing them pull a gun.  :-\
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: December 14, 2015, 04:39:26 am »

Don't have the ability to watch the videos on this connection unfortunately, however I think a lot of it has to do with the reaction of the suspect? Eg undercover cop is going to immediately say "oh shit guys i'm a cop" and keep their hands in a visible position etc. where as a lot of the victims of these police shootings are not engaging in dialog with the cops who shoot them, due to being scared, under the influence of something, or having other issues etc.

Magma is overrated.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:34 am »

Its easier to process the paperwork, frame the story in a positive light, and brush off legal crap when they are dead obviously...  in a way like how drivers in Chinaese like to double and triple tap.

EDIT: Fixed
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:38:16 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 14, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »

Yeah, there's some really terrifying dichotomy between the things the police say, the media parrots, and then the story once video comes out. Not saying that they're lying bastards, but there's spin control and there's Niekro ball control.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 14, 2015, 12:55:11 pm »

Social media feeds by nature point you towards subjects which are in your interest. For example i can't open mine without seeing something about cars. So its not really surprising.

Yeah, I understand that.  But there shouldn't be so many of these stories around for social media to throw at me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1570 on: December 14, 2015, 02:44:58 pm »

Why not? It's very common

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 01, 2016, 09:16:27 pm »

Kick off 2016 with some outrage

Warning:  Links contains photos of wounds.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:54:40 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:48 pm »

That's definitely some outrage, there. Everything we've come to expect from the cops -- a few doing fucking egregious shit, the rest of them covering that shit up. Blatantly obvious problems, not a goddamn thing done about it, and a number of people badly hurt (some, apparently, permanently) because of it. And, of course, the chances of the police officers pulling that shit actually ending up where they deserve (jail, at the least), is basically nonexistent.

Still, probably could have stood a bit of a warning. Pictures involved were a bit bloody, and it's polite to provide forewarning for that sort of thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:24 pm »

Still, probably could have stood a bit of a warning. Pictures involved were a bit bloody, and it's polite to provide forewarning for that sort of thing.

True.  Gore has to be pretty extreme for me to think much of it, so that didn't even cross my mind.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 01, 2016, 11:15:36 pm »

Nah, there's obviously nothing wrong with the police's conducted, as I'm confident the investigation and any further legal action will show.

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 295