Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429677 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #345 on: December 02, 2014, 10:28:57 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dLwSdgEOupE

A robbery in France, caught on cam. Just for reference, police arrive at about 5min.

Not sure what you're trying to do here as far as 'just for reference', point out the lack of guns compared to the US? Doesn't look like the robbers had guns and the cops didn't pull theirs out, from what I could tell.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 02, 2014, 10:33:15 am »

The robber use a false guns, and the cops never know that it's false. Look how different the situation is, notice the local cops, and how the "criminals" are much less violent since the public education isn't too terrible yet (but the cuts every years threathen that) and the society is somewhat united (even though theere is a LOT of room for improvement and budget is lacking).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 02, 2014, 10:41:28 am »

Yeah, standard in the US would probably be burst through the door like a badass with guns pointing and saying 'get the F on the ground!' Though that's PROBABLY more likely to result in a shootout if the thieves had real guns.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 02, 2014, 10:43:00 am »

A robbery in France, caught on cam. Just for reference, police arrive at about 5min.

Wow. If that were the US, this would have been a death situation. Also lol@6:02, guy tries to just leave with the cop blocking the door. I'm amazed at how foreign it looks to me to see police not escalate a situation to violence immediately.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2014, 10:46:12 am »

Wow. If that were the US, this would have been a death situation. Also lol@6:02, guy tries to just leave with the cop blocking the door. I'm amazed at how foreign it looks to me to see police not escalate a situation to violence immediately.

I agree about how foriegn it looks. That plus what I said about bursting in like a badass with guns drawn. says something about the police or maybe just the US culture as a whole.

Of course though, completely different gun cultures between the US and France.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 02, 2014, 10:48:39 am »

In all video I saw, the American police started shooting once it looked like the supect might be armed, never pausing once to assess its intentions.

I was reading a Belgian article, titled "Men shot by a policeman in Londerzeel : self defence not yet proved". It's about a man who had a rifle, shot his ex's boyfriend, shot in the direction of the police, and was then shot by the police. The DA equivalent is investigating and the policeman is being interogated by the equivalent of the feds.

To those who say racism is the root cause of police misbehavior in the US, would a white suspect's shooting , by the police,in this situation, get this kind of treatement in the US?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:50:11 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:16 am »

Probably, since if you shoot in the direction of police, you're going to get shot, whether you're white or black, or any color of the electromagnetic spectrum.

As for 'this kind of treatment' do you mean the interrogation by the Belgian equivalent of the feds? Um, I'm going to have to go with I don't know because both I don't know enough and also because I don't think it works quite that way here in the US.

As for racism being the root cause, I would disagree because theres more than one root cause and it's not as simple as 'IT'S BECAUSE OF RACISM!', yes racism is a large part of it, but not the only part.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:59:58 am by smjjames »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

Probably, since if you shoot in the direction of police, you're going to get shot, whether you're white or black, or any color of the electromagnetic spectrum.

As for 'this kind of treatment' do you mean the interrogation by the Belgian equivalent of the feds? Um, I'm going to have to go with I don't know because both I don't know enough and also because I don't think it works quite that way here in the US.

It's the policeman that is being investigated by both the DA(procureur du roi) and the police of police (inspection générale). The police of state police in the US is the feds, so that's why I said they were their equivalent.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:00:37 am by Phmcw »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:44 am »

Also, the ferguson police are looking into charging Brown's stepdad for the 'Burn this bitch down' comment, which I'm not 100% sure in what context that was in, like burn what down. I guess it might be legit because inciting violence, but then again, heated moment?

I'm not going to make judgement on that because I don't know what the full context was and it was a heated moment and we have all said things that we don't mean when we're angry.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2014, 11:04:04 am »

It's the policeman that is being investigated by both the DA and the police of police (inspection générale). The police of state police in the US is the feds, so that's why I said they were their equivalent.

I think those that police the police are, more accurately, Internal Affairs (/Investigations) officers of the police. FBI or other such agencies don't police the police as much as they take care of interstate or otherwise larger in scale issues, like bank robberies.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2014, 12:38:06 pm »

Also, the ferguson police are looking into charging Brown's stepdad for the 'Burn this bitch down' comment, which I'm not 100% sure in what context that was in, like burn what down. I guess it might be legit because inciting violence, but then again, heated moment?

I'm not going to make judgement on that because I don't know what the full context was and it was a heated moment and we have all said things that we don't mean when we're angry.
After the grand jury's verdict was announced, he started yelling "Burn this bitch down" into the crowd. The crowd was outside the police station at the time, if what I read is correct.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:39:42 pm by Lagslayer »

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/02/opinions_versus_facts_124821.html - I like this piece about Ferguson.

But... those 'facts' are being pretty widely challenged. So you can hardly say they're facts unless you're being willfully ignorant of the evidence against some of those statements being true.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/02/opinions_versus_facts_124821.html - I like this piece about Ferguson.

But... those 'facts' are being pretty widely challenged. So you can hardly say they're facts unless you're being willfully ignorant of the evidence against some of those statements being true.
Wouldn't this render the entire debate moot, then? Obviously, none of the evidence can be trusted or not trusted with any certainty.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 02, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »

It certainly would render the entire debate worthy of discussion, yes.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 295