Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430185 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3255 on: June 12, 2020, 10:30:19 pm »

\
I've had to explain to more people this week that Columbus was one of the shittiest humans to ever live more times than I ever though I would in my life.

Isn't this shit amazing?  Every Columbus Day that shit is aaaaallllll over the place.  It's incredible to imagine ignorance on the subject still being possible at this point, yet so many somehow manage it.

And I don't think it's because they haven't been exposed to the truth.  It seems to me like most people are just conditioned to only absorb information in specific ways.  Watching everyone react to the protests has me dwelling on this a bit lately.  Like... I've been paying attention to the issue of police violence for about 20 years, and have always talked about it all the goddamn time.  If you are real life friend or family to me, you have heard me talk about police brutality multiple times - guaranteed.  Yet my parents and siblings are acting lately like they're hearing about this stuff for the first time in their lives because of these protests.  Like every ridiculous thing the police have done in the past 3 weeks is the first time they've ever heard of police ever doing such a thing.  My mom watched the recent John Oliver episode on Police, and talked about how it was so eye opening for her and she finally understood.  And internally I was screaming "I was reiterating those exact same facts to you 2 days ago", when she referenced some specific bits from the show.

It's so goddamn frustrating.  Trying all these fucking years to get people to care about things, and eyes just glaze over.

And you know what's different now?.... Trump, and the non-Fox News personal obsession with him.

Everyone's response to what's going on is "I blame Trump.  It wasn't like this until he took office.  We can't survive another 4 years of him."

And I'm like... did no one I know ever hear a single word I said before 2016?  And I'm not trying to be pretentious here and make it about me.  I know many others struggle with this same thing and get frustrated with it.

No one gives a shit about anything it feels like until either it personally effects them, or until the mainstream media shoves it in their faces and tells them who is the villain to blame.  There's nothing more depressing and disempowering to me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:32:17 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: June 13, 2020, 07:34:05 am »

Serial Killers are probably preventable in a long-term social sense. 
As for dealing with them, you don’t exactly need the police, rather an investigation team.  FBI or if the city is big enough to have it’s own detectives and ancillary. 
Then you call in swat(or whatever new future equivalent) once you figure out where/who they are.

Gangs are also preventable.  They rise from economic issues like chronic joblessness and/or inability to cope with society abandoning their community.

A lot of the scary security things are cause of really poor social and economic issues that have been left to fester for decades. 
Neglected and/or abused children pay that shit forward.

The FBI are not police?  SWAT teams are also police, as are detectives.  Do Americans simply have a narrower definition of police, is this my problem? 

The problem here is time.  Because the present serial killers and gangsters are still there, solving the wider social issues that created them.  Those elements also cause 'social issues' which in turn presumably create more of them.  In the long-run you might be able to get away with fewer police because you have less crime because of social welfare programs, but in the immediate sense you have to deal with the concrete problems that were created by your previous negligence. 

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: June 13, 2020, 07:50:09 am »

Eh... I don't think most folks really think of the FBI as police, no. Like, they're a law enforcement agency, yes, but they're more domestic intelligence service (Think MI5 or somethin') than beat cop. They tend to deal with more specialized (federal level, i.e. inter-state or what have you) issues than general enforcement. FBI folks are generally referred to as, well, FBI or FBI agents, not police.

Similarly, for all their (especially SWAT's) problems, stuff like investigators or SWAT aren't the primary face and force of the police corruption in the US. Contributory, don't get that wrong for even a second, but they don't catch as much flak or generate as much cause for AA fire. Plus there's some grounds to see their presence and mandate as legitimate. Much of what regular police do... less so, especially given how much they make situations worse.

E:fucking autocorrupt it's too early for your shit
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:54:01 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: June 13, 2020, 07:56:48 am »

I think of both fbi and detectives as police
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: June 13, 2020, 08:13:36 am »

Yeah, you can. Most of what I was trying to say is that most stateside folks I've heard talking would probably use a different term when talking about them in general conversation. Such as zangi's differentiation between police (general beat cops, basically) and FBI or detectives. They're police in a general sense but folks still tend to think (or at least talk) about them as if they're somewhat separate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: June 13, 2020, 08:39:37 am »

Eh, it is just second nature to differentiate them after absorbing so much media based on police. 

FBI has its own separate recruitment pool.  We don’t see them patrolling the streets.
SWAT have the heavier equipment and are probably front line in beating back the protests, but are not the ones patrolling the streets.
Detectives, yes are part of the police, but I reckon figuring things out is a useful function that takes time away from patrolling the streets.

I can go as far as differentiating State Police too, kinda similar to the FBI, they are separate from local/city police.  I don’t really know if they come in with similar numbers of dead/badly injured perps then the local/city equivalents.  I’m only able to pay attention to so many things.

EDIT: And yes, there is a danger of already violent areas flaring up if we just dismantle the police instantly. 
But I reckon smarter people will go for phasing out ‘as needed’, with the new thing appropriately replacing it.  If we have smarter people making the decisions anyways.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:44:15 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: June 13, 2020, 02:33:04 pm »

I think the reason tear gas is banned in warfare is probably because somebody could drop a huge concentrated amount of it, resulting in something absolutely lethal, but technically just an irritant.
From what I've read, the idea behind banning tear gas in wartime is that dropping tear gas on each other all the time could inspire the sides to sneak something more interesting into their "nonlethal" munitions.
Even the possibility of that would lead to a lot of mutual accusations that tear gas was laced, some true, some false, and render the whole treaty pointless since everyone would get accused of violating it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:39:26 pm by HmH »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: June 13, 2020, 03:59:58 pm »

Tear gas and other such weapons are used to terrify their victims, you use it to make people run blindly away so they're easier to shoot at, there's no "well, tear gas is different because it's not mustard gas" here, yes it's harder to kill with tear gas, it's harder to kill with rubber bullets too, it should still be a war crime to do either to civilians when you have a militarized force undergoing a police action on your soil, and let's not forget shooting medics in there!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: June 13, 2020, 05:26:47 pm »

Maybe they should just skip the terror and start gunning down protesters, instead? ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:31:06 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: June 13, 2020, 05:44:05 pm »

Let's accept the idea that streets NEED to be cleared, and talk about how that should happen under a government of the people and by the people.

If protesters have to be dispersed, it needs to be done as harmlessly as possible.  I contend that is literally the first priority, aside from it happening.  How can we do that?

Curfews maybe help with that.  Demonstration in daylight is one thing, but mass congregations late in the night are a bit different.  There's less spreading of message, more frayed nerves. 

Being very clear about your threats of violence before you use them.  Don't suddenly tackle bystanders out of the blue, ramming them into the pavement.  Announce that the road needs to be cleared, then make a very clear threat.  All laws are enforced with violence, but it's important to announce intent beforehand. In other words:

LET PEOPLE DISPERSE

Make it clear that things are about to get violent BEFORE using the prescribed violence!  Don't box protesters in.  Be clear that this is the end of the standoff, that things are about to become unimaginably painful.  Most people would disperse, their message heard - while others would take the state's spicey iron boot in the eyes to prove their point.

That's not what police are doing.  They are antagonizing peaceful protesters then violently dispersing them, while burglaries go ignored.  That's where their priorities lie, as a system.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: June 13, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »

To be fair, there are cases where cops have ignored curfews and ignored orders to break up peaceful protests... and in at least one instance I know of it turned into a dance party, so the opposite of riot is dancing apparently?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: June 13, 2020, 05:58:58 pm »

Then we need a dance dance revolution!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:44:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:59 pm »

Then we need a dance dance revolution!
It’s unfortunate that profit drives everything (the definition I’m using here is profit=getting as many currency units as possible) and often companies don’t consider the environmental impacts of what they are doing, profit over long term sustainability. If we continue to do this, we will make ourselves extinct by making the environment uninhabitable to us. I know I said this before, but I am worried. We’ve already messed things up so much, that even if we somehow stopped emissions right now, the effects of what we’ve already done will continue for thousands of years, and will continue to get worse, we are still worsening the future. We need to somehow get companies/corporations/country leaders to think of, and act on maintaining, long term sustainability over short term profits
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 295