Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429886 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2520 on: October 28, 2018, 12:31:26 am »

My point was that the term Neo-Nazi itself just dumbs down the whole thing. It implies that all the people you're talking about have an ideology that stems from the Nazis, which in a way discounts how much of this is local racism that predates, and has nothing to do with, Germany. Even among far-right members of the police, the vast majority of that subset are not Nazis.

Nazi becomes meaningless because it's thrown around too much. Laci Green is a Nazi according to a lot of people. Everyone's a Nazi now, and since Nazi is the worst thing to call someone, a bigoted cop is now classed the same as a guy who wants to genocide half the planet in gas chambers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:38:44 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: October 28, 2018, 12:46:26 am »

Bigoted cops are exactly the type of people who would put half the planet in gas chambers. They simply lack the means and public support at this time. And so it falls to murdering people they don't care to see existing on a one-to-one basis.

The Nazis weren't fuckin devil supervillians and their beliefs aren't some great filter that most people reject. They're mundane and the wackier elements of Nazi ideology are just the nerds. The average Nazi was some guy who believed in German destiny, a destiny that had no place for the untermensch.

Neo-Nazis are everybody who picks that up and they don't have to go all American History X to believe in the shit. The ideological strain of fascism didn't start with the Nazis or even the people who coined the word fascism. The KKK are fascists. Colonialists are fascists. Half the modern Republican party are *cough cough* classical liberals.

Go look at a comment section on a major site, any of them, and you can observe with your own eyes how mainstreamed it really is. This isn't some idle charge. The cops are Nazi scum. Not some vague "everybody who disagrees with the dreaded far-left", not whatever ridiculous persecution fantasy Republican voters have. The cops murder people on a racial basis and get Nazi imagery tattoos to identify each other. What other ideology would you have them assigned?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: October 28, 2018, 12:52:00 am »

Uh, not Nazis, because the Nazis are a specific group.

Just as dumb as calling everyone to the left of Obama a Stalinist.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2523 on: October 28, 2018, 12:57:24 am »

What do you mean, “cough cough”? How on earth are you calling classical liberals fascists? Or do you mean something else?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: October 28, 2018, 01:42:27 am »

Okay. MSH, I agree with you, but please calm down. Bahammers and such .
Edit: tad drunk, don't mean to offend.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: October 28, 2018, 04:26:20 am »

Uh, not Nazis, because the Nazis are a specific group.

Just as dumb as calling everyone to the left of Obama a Stalinist.

I get the very strong impression that language has evolved beyond Nazis being a specific group with contained membership.  It's a descriptor now.  That's simply how the word is used.  And I'm all for protecting words having specific meanings, and guarding against language being twisted in abusable ways.  But not so far as to not recognize when language evolves, and deny that the common parlance of a day is valid.

Fascist could be used as a more general term, not referring to a specific group of people, but that one has issues too that plenty of people would be quick to point out if they wanted to be semantic.  Such as the flavor of bigotry today not relating to the economic aspect of fascism, especially in the USA.

I think you're also wrong about one of your central arguments.

Racism in the United States does predate Nazis.  But racism in the USA today is not strictly a continuation of the same racism of the slave era.  I think that the fascist movements (especially Nazis) of the early 20th century have inspired the evolution of racism and other bigotries over time.  So yeah, the racism itself may predate nazis, but its current expression does not.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »

My instinct is to say something snarky about "good guys with guns" but honestly it seems in bad taste somehow.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 12, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »

My instinct is to say something snarky about "good guys with guns" but honestly it seems in bad taste somehow.
No, that sums up the comments of the site I found it on. Basically, the point being that people keep supporting the thought of good guys with guns, but it doesn't seem to work out well for people of color.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 12, 2018, 07:28:39 pm »

So wait, the good guy with the gun successfully stopped the shooting, then the police screw it up and murder him, and this somehow means the police should have been the only ones armed in the situation?!

If you ask me, the police should've been the only ones unarmed in this situation because they have proven too many times that they are useless.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:37 pm »

That would be giving good guys guns AND taking guns away from bad guys. The perfect compromise.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 12, 2018, 07:56:52 pm »

I think the lesson here is to just flee the scene of anything these days. Your chances of survival are higher than waiting around for the cops to show up so you can die doing your civic duty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 13, 2018, 11:54:42 pm »

I think the lesson here is to just flee the scene of anything these days. Your chances of survival are higher than waiting around for the cops to show up so you can die doing your civic duty.
Unless you're black. Fleeing anything while black is a capital offense, as has been proven multiple times. Apparently nothing is so dangerous as a Doppler-redshifted black ass pointed at a cop.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 18, 2018, 03:53:47 pm »

The only offense higher than being black is fleeing while black, as has been demonstrated.
Black lives matter.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:45 pm »

Another Ferguson, MO activist has died.

Cause and nature of death unknown.  Bassem Masri.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 295