Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798445 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #540 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »

Any insight on why units sometimes don't attack during battles? Is it a range thing?
Units only attack if they have a valid enemy to use a weapon on- so if your front rank is made up of Dreadnoughts, the dreads block line of sight to the rear ranks and can only be harmed by decently strong weapons.  If the enemy has nothing but Ork boys in their own front rank, and piddly dakka behind that, they simply won't attack at all.  Or it might be a bug.
That doesn't explain why my CM only sometimes chooses to attack during raids. (he attacks in only something like 1/5 raids performed by my chapter) Are there some hidden range and weapon cooldown properties being tracked behind the scenes? What about librarians? Experience indicates that they participate in fighting but I've never seen them actually attack anything.

What exactly do bionics and the rosarius do?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:37:01 pm by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:14 pm »

The reason recruitment is so slow is because I've taken into account getting the Recruits when they are unaugmented humans, and the time to train + implant all of the astartes upgrades.  With additional recruiting worlds the rate of finding these recruits is literally doubled, and then tripled if you have three worlds.  Despite this that may still be too slow.  I might increase the rate at which they are found in the future.
I think the issue with it being slow is when the marine is recruited the others that are in training are considered a fresh recruit so only 1 marine is in training at a time, I tried this once where I had 3 recruiting worlds, 300 or so recruits in training, only 1 new marine every 60-100 turns or so.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:33 am »

So they actually train in parallel all this time :o
My bad then, sorry for bring up an unnecessary discission. :)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:04 am »

What exactly do bionics and the rosarius do?

I would assume the bionics improves accuracy (bionic eye) while the rosarius increases armour (being a portable shield generator).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 08, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »

Yeah, ideally initiates should be trained in cohorts and graduated to 10th Company as a group.

Might be fun (and fluffly) if initiates could die during training or otherwise fail and be removed from the pool. You might do it as an event too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 08, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

I actually read the manual to look for this information, so does anyone know what the second icon is in the GUI?  the number in yellow with I think an Aquila a death's head next to it?  In between Requisition and Geneseed?

It never seems to change, does not have any mouseover text.  I'm guessing it is not implemented yet, but just wondering what it is supposed to be.

edited to fix the description..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:35:08 pm by puke »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 08, 2014, 04:38:18 pm »

It's loyalty. Whether that's your Chapter's loyalty to you, your loyalty to the Imperium, the Imperium's loyalty to you....unknown. I assume that, at some point, as you violate the Codex Astartes, that # will go down and badness will happen.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 08, 2014, 04:46:07 pm »

It's loyalty. Whether that's your Chapter's loyalty to you, your loyalty to the Imperium, the Imperium's loyalty to you....unknown. I assume that, at some point, as you violate the Codex Astartes, that # will go down and badness will happen.

ah, yes, found this in the FAQ:  http://imgur.com/7PHwudV

How do you violate the codex?  Arm up tactical marines with devestator weapons?  Make Termies dual-wield assault canons?  I'm all over that shit.  I would think that would make my marines more loyal to me, specifically.  "Hail the Emperor, until he tells me to put down one of my dual assault cannons.  Then he can eat dakka."  I think is is probably how the rogue legions fall from grace.

In all seriousness, I did see one mention of codex violation in the game -- but could not figure out how to actually perform it.  I was able to recruit up to my maximum of 1000 (actually it gave me 1001) marines, and the recruiting guy said that he could recruit more but not without violating the Codex (which is legit as far as the fiction goes).

I kept funding recruitment, but never got any more marines trained.

In related news, recruiting marines never seems to cost me any geneseed.  seems to be a bug.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 08, 2014, 04:55:41 pm »

Geneseed is consumed when a normal human boy becomes an initiate. Not when they move into the 10 Company.

The 1000-Marine limit is in the Codex Astartes, set forth after the end of the Horus Heresy to ensure no one Legion gained too much power. So going over that 1000 Marine limit tends to make everyone very nervous. It may not be hooked up into game to anything yet.

Otherwise, the Codex Astartes lays out the blue print for Chapters: organization, battlefield tactics, armor discipline, ect....I suppose I mispoke when I said violating it was a big cause for Heresy. Lots of Chapters don't follow it, notoriously so, like the Space Wolves. But there's really only one set of rules Space Marine Chapters care about: their own doctrinal text. Whereever that's pulled from. I assume most say stuff like "Don't kill entire populations of planets just for lulz" and "Don't fire on Imperium warships." So if you do those things, maybe your loyalty slips. But even there, there are conceivable reasons why SM chapters might do one or both of those things, if they think it serves the chapter's or the Emperor's interests.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 08, 2014, 05:01:21 pm »

Geneseed is consumed when a normal human boy becomes an initiate. Not when they move into the 10 Company.

I'm familiar with the fluff.  This isnt happening for me. 

It never seems to reduce, I always have either my starting amount, or my starting amount + whatever I've gained through battlefield recovery.  Except for the one time I had to burn my stores to cleanse a mutation, then it dropped down to 0 and increased normally from battlefield recovery.

Not sure if I was recruiting or not after that incident, as I decided to throw my whole fleet at a craftworld.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 08, 2014, 05:04:03 pm »

The loyalty seems to be how loyal the Imperial factions perceive you to be to the Big E. When I traded with Eldar just to see what I'd get (didn't get anything, not implemented yet), it dropped by 20. In another instance, when my geneseed mutated, the loyalty didn't drop. However, when an Inquisitor found out that it had mutated, the loyalty dropped. Likewise, missing a Crusade drops the loyalty.

Oh and Inquisition lose their marbles if they find you possessing a demonic artifact. Artifacts tainted with Chaos fly under their radar. I haven't seen either to do anything to my troops, though, when I tried falling for Chaos on purpose. Sure, there are reports of Brother Urist acting strangely now and then, but nothing comes out of it and Chaplains report nothing. Maybe I have to try killing all my Chaplains and then gathering chaotic stuff to see if anything happens.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »

interesting, I've done some of those things but I guess I did not notice the loyalty change.  Will have to watch for it.

I've had a techmarine go strange-mood and craft an artifact, and then had the option to punish him or isolate him for observation or something like that.  I thought creating artifacts sounded legit, so I let it ride.  Inquisition did not seem to mind, as they audited me soon after and found no problems.

I think it was in that game that I asked the Eldar to look into the future, and they named some marine that might be tainted.  In other games, they never named marines that had previously been acting strangely -- so there might be somthing to the strange mood.

Sometimes it is hard to give them to the inquisition, because I never seem to have contact with them until they decide to audit me.  And then it is a little dicey waiting for them to reach my ship, but having to give over a daemon artifact to them before they actually finish the search.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

I think depending on what artifact is made it changes the inquisitions reaction to it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 08, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »

They'll happily take Chaos corrupted artifacts off your hands. Seems wholly appropriate and yet a little weird to me. I mean, why destroy any Chaos artifact if it can get you rep with the Inquisition? I feel like the choice to give them corrupted artifacts should come back to haunt you. (For example, by creating more "Rogue Inquisitor" events.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »

Gene-seed mutation not decreasing Imperium rep isn't very surprising. Fluff-wise, gene-seed mutation is mostly accepted so long as the mutation is officially logged in Imperial records with the next tithe. You'd get in trouble for intentionally causing mutations or hiding them from outsiders, but for unforeseeable happenstance the Imperium has a decent level of tolerance for mutant Astartes (and ONLY Astartes).

Though that's not absolute, as the Flame Falcons rather suddenly discovered. On the other hand, the Black Dragons have managed to avoid excommunication for a long while now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 288