Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798945 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #330 on: August 28, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »

Fluffwise, and presuming this hasn't been retconned since, the early human shamans where reborn on death however as the warp grew more chaotic many where being destroyed in the warp before rebirth so they gathered together, commited suicide and where reborn as the Emperor.

As far as the possibility of his rebirth goes, theres been a lot of fluff regarding whether it would happen again and plots related around it, one I recall to do with gathering the children he had sired and the likes.

I see to recall his internment within the Golden Throne being his idea after being maimed by Horus. Now though his beacon creates the astromomicon beacon that all of humanity uses to navigate the warp (And attracts the Tyranids into the Galaxy) so if he where to die and not be reborn it would essentially cripple humanity.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

Now though his beacon creates the astromomicon beacon that all of humanity uses to navigate the warp (And attracts the Tyranids into the Galaxy) so if he where to die and not be reborn it would essentially cripple humanity.
Well, until they got off their arse and went and ganked the tau's FTL tech like they should have done ten seconds after the space commies showed up. Or maybe yoink the necron's. Whoever, really. Non-astronomicon/chaos sided FTL travel is a solved thing in the WH40k verse, it's just humans, at this point, are intensely lazy in regards to advancing technology.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

It's just humans, at this point, are intensely lazy in regards to know that advancing technology is HERESY.

Fixed that for you. We all know that the Mechanicus, view all of the old technology/devices as sacred and perfect. So anything new or different is both sacrilegous and imperfect. Even when it really isn't, and would make things much better, easier, faster, etc. A lot of the Imperium's problems seem to due to shit of their creation.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 28, 2014, 05:42:01 pm »

Well, no one is 40k makes any real sense.
The orks should just imagine conquering the universe. and it's done.
The Eldar (both chocolate and vanilla) should use their superior webway to do raids on humanity everyone- humans can't be everywhere at once, and they can.
the Necrons. What were they waiting for all these years? Come to think of it, I have no idea what they want now either....
The Tyranids, if like the Astronomicon Beacon so much, why aren't they on Terra yet? Space is a big empty thing, for math's sake, it's not like the Imperial fleet can catch them in transit.
The Tau... are doing it right. Keep it up, smurfs.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 28, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »

The orkz have conquered the universe, insofar as they're concerned. It's exactly how they want it. WH40k is basically ork heaven. They don't want victory, they want a fight.
Ask not!
Ask!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:54 pm »

The orkz have conquered the universe, insofar as they're concerned. It's exactly how they want it. WH40k is basically ork heaven. They don't want victory, they want a fight.
And there it is: the secret of all the GrimDark silliness- it's because the Ork will it. :P

Loif iz a tale told by an Ork, full uf grim and dark, signifyin' nuffin'.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:25:33 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:42 pm »

The Eldar (both chocolate and vanilla) should use their superior webway to do raids on humanity everyone- humans can't be everywhere at once, and they can.

Which they kinda already do. Except it's a bit more complicated than that, due to the confusing and twisted nature of the webway. Include the fact that it's infested with demons and Chaos in certain areas, and the opposing Eldar in the others, and you can see that travel isn't 100% safe and effective with it.

Plus the Eldar don't really have the numbers for a full-out war. In the recent lore/codexes, they have been turning the soulstones of dead Eldar into soldiers. Or something like that. Basically borderline necromancy to keep their armies in shape, which is going to get even worse if they constantly raid everyone.

the Necrons. What were they waiting for all these years? Come to think of it, I have no idea what they want now either....

Long story short, the Necrons went into hibernation because they had no choice. The Eldar were much too strong and genocidal, other power psychic races existed, and literal Eldritch Abominations were breaking into the universe and creating their own empires. In other words, if they didn't go to sleep and hide, they would have been wiped out. This was right after the War in Heaven too, so they were in no shape to defend themselves. And the reason why they waited all of these years before waking up is... No idea. I guess the Necron leaders just assumed that if they waited long enough (around 60 thousand years or so) then the Eldar would no longer be a problem and they could wake up and reestablish themselves. Which largely seems to have been the case. Good for them.

The Tyranids, if like the Astronomicon Beacon so much, why aren't they on Terra yet? Space is a big empty thing, for math's sake, it's not like the Imperial fleet can catch them in transit.

The Tyranid fleets were just attracted to the galaxy by the Astronomicon. It was just the sign that said 'Free Buffet'. Their real goal was all the life-filled planets around, ripe for invading.

Or something like that. I have no clue, actually, but I doubt that the answer would be much different than what I said. The Tyranids don't seem to set complex goal for themselves.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 28, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »

The Necrons haven't woken up largely in part because their technology, advanced as it is, has suffered severe failures over the millennia. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 28, 2014, 06:40:19 pm »

Well yeah, that too. Plus they aren't a unified nation/empire/race anymore so it wouldn't surprise me if a few of their leaders shaved a few years off their hibernation to get a head-start on the rest of the Necrons.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »

Weren't the particular splinter fleets that hit WH40k land actually running from something, too? Coulda' sworn I remembered that as one of those idle fluff factoids that make you kinda' giggle.
Ask not!
Ask!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 28, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »

I have absolutely no idea. But knowing GWS it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:58 pm »

There is a hypothesis that the Tyranid fleets are running away from something, yes, but the generally accepted one is that they're just here to eat the Milky Way (again, as divergent genestealers and other Tyranid-descended beasts can be found all over the galaxy).

If they are running from something, it's probably game over, as the main Tyranid fleet is 500 to 1000 times the size of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Unless...
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »

I think the Orks are gonna win.

It'll come down to the Tyranids, the Orks, and the Necrons.  Remember the Necrons didn't go to sleep because they were defeated, they went to sleep because they won.  Between them and the Enslavers there wasn't anything left to kill so they hibernated.

And the Orks were basically engineered to kill the Necrons.  They're the only species without a primal fear of the Nightbringer.  It's not a coincidence that Ghazghkull's waaagh is hitting critical mass just as the necrons start waking up in earnest.

And like Slime said there's a galaxy-killing Tyranid fleet somewhere just outside the milky way and incoming.

My money's on the orks.  Dunno what the tyranids can really do against the necrons and like I said the orks were made to kill the necrons.  It's rock paper scissors.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:32 pm »

One possibility that a 50K story brought up (and sadly, immediately dismissed by having them pick up and leave) is for the Tyranids and Orks doing the fusion dance by way of hyperevolution+gestalt psyker field shenanigans. That, of course, would prove rather fatal to everybody else.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »

Where does one go to read through this mess of I Can't Follow?

Just the basics, please.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 288